Roam Like Home charges

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm Here A Lot

Re: Roam Like Home charges

I travelled to Morocco and (definitely) had data roaming turned off too, but was still charged for data when I was on wifi briefly, but lost the wifi connection and the rest of the data ended up transferring over my cell data connection.

I brought this up with Rogers and the only way to guarantee you're not going to use data is to turn roaming AND your data off.  It appears as those some carriers in other countries don't "honour" the roaming option on smartphones and the only way to absolutely make sure no cell data is used, is to turn cell data off completely as well.

So I only really trust the data roaming option being off when I'm in the USA; elsewhere not so much.  This isn't a rogers issue.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

It then even moreso goes to the PHONE level then.

If you have ROAMING data off on the phone.. is should be OFF..

If the phone is allowing data to still go out that way, while on a roaming carrier.. its an issue with the phone

Rogers Employee lockdown2341
Rogers Employee

Agreed. The normal data beign on only applies within Canada. If roaming data is off, then the phone cannot connect to any cellular data while roaming on another network, PERIOD.

Are you sure you were charged for data? If we're still talking about 'Roam Like Home' you may have been charged for voice and text, not necessarily data.

I'm Here A Lot

I know 100% that roaming was off on my phone, but cellular data was still on (because I didn't see a reason to turn it off if roaming was off).  As soon as I saw that my phone actually receive data, I received a TXT from Rogers saying that I'm now using roaming data ($10/day).  I immediately turned cellular data off on my phone as the roaming was already off.  I believe I downloaded < 200KB of data overall.  No voice or text were used.

When I contacted Rogers (after my return from Morocco), I mentioned this happened and the employee specificially said that both roaming and cell data need to be turned off to make sure I don't get charged.  I've never had an issue with this in the USA (only roaming off works fine), but overseas it seemed to work for most of my trip until it didn't.

Rogers Employee

Okay so whatever rep told you that is wrong I'm sorry to say. That has never been the case.

The $10.00/day covers Roam Like Home, which is calls, text, and data. So if you get the text message, and your roaming was shut off, it doesn't mean you used data. It would mean that you used calls or texting to trigger the charge for the Roam Like Home service.

You said no voice or text were used. So either you didn't get charged because you didn't use your phone, or you did use something and were billed for it.

I'm Here A Lot

Let me repeat.  I used no voice and sent no texts.  Data roaming was off on my phone (even after I received the TXT from rogers, I checked my settings and it was indeed set to off).

I was trying to connect to a wifi hotspot which seemed to be unreliable because I believe I was trying to check my email while on the wifi and got kicked off.  My phone then connected to the local carrier network and downloaded my emails.  I immediately turned off cellular data at that point.

When I received my bill for the month, it had a $10 charge on it which Rogers did not refund because my cellular data setting was not set to off prior to downloading my emails.  ie. Because it was my fault (cellular data was on).

Rogers Employee

That doesn't make any sense at all.

To my knowledge, if data roaming is off then it's not possible for the phone to connect to a network outside of its own. So in this case if it isn't a ROGERS network, then the phone can't connect to any other network unless the roaming is on. Cellular data has nothing to do with it unless you are within Canada.

This is a very odd situation.

I Plan to Stick Around

I'd say one should regard any charges to be "per device" unless otherwise noted.  It is still a pretty good deal.  Yes, it costs money if you have five devices, but that's a given.

I Plan to Stick Around

You must have had it on once because they would have charged you $100 for 10 days. Did you put your device on airplane mode and turn on only the wi fi? If you didn't do that, you probably did do something that connected to the mobile tower. Rogers didn't treat you any differently than any other mobile carrier would. We sign up for their services, we use them, we get billed. Know how to use your device if you are so price sensitive as to lose it over $10
I Plan to Stick Around

Did you have it in airplane mode?  Do that and then only turn on wi fi...

Topic Stats