Roam Like Home charges

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Rogers Employee lockdown2341
Rogers Employee

Re: Roam Like Home charges

@llewis29003 wrote:

So I travelled to the Caribbean and used my iPhone to iMessage text only and Rogers charges me $10 for 10 days. They are telling me they still charge because I don't need to have my Data and or Roaming on to send a text. I'm like "what!" How can you charge me for using wifi? That's bull----! I'm actually cancelling my services today.

iMessage is sent over the internet. So if you were charged for roam like home, then you weren't connected to WiFi but you were connected to the local cellular carrier when you sent the IMessage. That does trigger the charge for Roam Like Home, even if you don't do anything else that day with your phone. There is no charge for using WiFi. You were charged because you *weren't* on the WiFi.

It might suck but that's why you need to pay attention to the settings on your phone.

Retired Moderator RogersShakir
Retired Moderator

Hey @llewis29003

Just want to add to @jnardari & @lockdown2341. iMessage is not only data, it is SMS/MMS as well (Messaging); integrated as one. If data and roaming data is turned off and you are not connected to Wifi. The message will go through as SMS/MMS or fail and not send at all with an "( ! )" beside the message. This is where the blue message turns to green.

In this senario, SMS Messaging may have been used if iMessage wasn't. Which would trigger the Roam Like Home just the same.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

RogersShakir

I Plan to Stick Around

Thank you but I GUARANTEE MY DATA AND ROAMING WAS OFF because every message sent without wifi was not sent due to it being turned off.

It's unfortunate for Rogers because I have fairly large account: 4 phones, tv, cable and home phone. I know that I am being robbed. Rogers is willing to give me half the credit and I am customer who always pays on time and that is not right.

I travel all the time and I know that my data and roaming was off. I bet my life on it!

I will not be ripped off and I know for a fact that is what is happening.

Rogers Employee lockdown2341
Rogers Employee

@llewis29003 wrote:
Thank you but I GUARANTEE MY DATA AND ROAMING WAS OFF because every message sent without wifi was not sent due to it being turned off.

It's unfortunate for Rogers because I have fairly large account: 4 phones, tv, cable and home phone. I know that I am being robbed. Rogers is willing to give me half the credit and I am customer who always pays on time and that is not right.

I travel all the time and I know that my data and roaming was off. I bet my life on it!

I will not be ripped off and I know for a fact that is what is happening.

Okay so if you read the post by @RogersShakir, he said that if your data and your roaming were off, the iMessagee would still go through as a regular text message since that is how it works. A text message still triggers the charge for roam like home.

So no you aren't being "ripped off" or "robbed". You're being charged roaming in accordance with what you used while roaming. As stated above it doesn't matter that your data was shut off or that you were on Wi-Fi; it matters that you sent a text message while roaming which is using your phone, which triggers the charge for roam like home.

If it were me I wouldn't even offer you half of the charges, because it is a valid charge, and you were billed exactly as how you were supposed to be billed. But that's just me.

I Plan to Stick Around

Thank you for your input. But it's obvious I can't comprehend how I was charged when data and roaming is off. I used my iPhone to FaceTime and that was the only thing I used the phone for.

I appreciate all the replies, now I am better informed for the future.

Thank you everyone.
I've Been Here Awhile

I have a question which is receiving mixed answers from Rogers Reps.

I recently came back from India and I was charged for Roam like home ($10/day) for Telemarketing calls made to my cell phone but never answered.  I made 1 phone call which was legitimate and Data shows 0 for all of those days.  In the past before Roam like home days I used to keep my cell phone on and only if I answered the phone call I was charged a roaming fee.  Is this not how Roam like home works?

Customer service told me I should not be charged but Wireless technical support said any activity on the network will get charged and I should put my phone into Airplane mode when away?  I don't like that idea because I like picking up a call if I think its important.

I was charged for 7 days of Roam like home when I should of been charged for 1.  The bill even shows numerous 1-2 min phone calls on the days I received a Telemarketing call which was never answered.  The call had been placed to my cell phone as displayed on my bill as well.

Whats the real answer?

Cheers.

Retired Moderator RogersArthur
Retired Moderator

Hi @mtech101,

Thank you for your patience, I can definitely understand the inconveniences of your situation and I would like to make sure we're all on the same page. If you have only made one phone call, your data showed zero use and you never answered any incoming telemarketing calls during your India trip. You should have only been charged for that one day you actually used your phone on the Roam Like Home. As mentioned on our Roam Like Home FAQs page (please see example below):

What does the Roam Like Home daily fee include?

With Roam Like Home you can use the data and the unlimited talk and text from your Share Everything plan while roaming. You're only charged on days when you use your plan, for more information on the Roam Like Home™ FAQ's please click here.

If you'd like us to look further into your issue, please send us a private message to our @CommunityHelps the next time you're logged into the Forums

Thanks,

RogersArthur

I've Been Here Awhile

These confusions seem common, and aggravating. Why cell companies would wish to perpetuate these negative reactions might be because current technology is complicated and they can't do any better. That would be a generous interpretation.
It gets worse - or better. My iPhone has a $10/day plan, max. 10 days/billing-cycle, and will only "trip" on a day when I use the cellular carrier, and only for outgoing or answered-incoming calls, and only for outgoing texts - and for data use. I think $10 is still steep, although it could be and has been worse, if you're away for a while without business expenses paid by one's employer, but at least it's predictable.
But it may be different on different iPhone plans or for non-Apple phones, so it all becomes harder to summarize.
One thing the Rogers information pages still don't say is to leave "data roaming" turned off at all times unless you wish to trip that day's charge. Data roaming is a cell feature, not a WiFi feature, which seems obvious but my 90 year-old aunt wouldn't ever understand that. I guarantee that if you have more than a handful of apps on your iPhone, that some data will be used in the background, and it only takes 1 byte, if off WiFi, to trip that day's charge.
So, what if expecting an urgent incoming call, so one turns airplane mode off, but while on WiFi, so hoping not to trip the day's charge unless one decides to answer a call. According to Rogers info, that should work. But now we learn maybe not. There is a difference between SMS, MMS, and iMessages, so having WiFi on doesn't necessarily protect you from charges, for reasons which remain completely obscure to me. I know that the Rogers people who have kindly chipped in here think it's clear, but it is very unclear, unless you're in the business.
Another practical problem is that having a WiFi symbol in the upper left doesn't always mean "connected". Sometimes it means "detected" but not yet having gone through a sign-in procedure. I've been places where that process took ten minutes; suddenly, a sign-in screen appears. In the meantime, "data" usually just fails, celullar connection or not, in my experience, but again from the foregoing it seems that may not be predictable.
So, not just to Rogers but to the industry in general (carriers, manufacturers): this has got to be made simpler.
Normal people would think that even if a cellular carrier has locked onto your phone/iPhone, that if the WiFi symbol is showing, and if data roaming is turned off, and you don't make a call or accept a call (at least on the specific iPhone plan which i have), that you're safe. "Texting" should be okay. But I just learned today, in this conversation - and I've been doing this since about 1990 - that such is not necessarily the case, and that Rogers feels that we should know that and should all be more careful.
When masses of people don't understand something, then the problem isn't with the masses.
I read the info pages on rogers.com before I left Canada. I phoned and checked the details with a rep. I got a text message from Rogers as soon as I landed overseas and turned on "cellular", but it was very welcoming and jolly - there is no way to convey the complexity in a short text message, and "normal people" are not going to follow a link, on their way to the luggage carousel, which opens up another complicated page which usually isn't quite the information you're looking for anyway once you attempt to read it on a small screen.
The system is designed for disappointment - sometimes a lot of disappointment as shown by occasional news items of dramatic surprise fees - and that's not good for business.
P.S. A youngster has walked in and is explaining some of this to me. Text messages have to go over cellular. iMessage as we know is not a "text message", it just looks like one and unless you have the colours memorized you can't tell and they go from the same app. This guy says "everybody knows that" but I assure you that everybody does not, and that reading the Rogers roaming pages doesn't make it clear enough (to me).
If this sounds grumpy, then I'm just trying to be clear.

I've Been Around

My wife and I are on a Share Everything + plan. She is currently travelling in the United States. She is enrolled in the Roam Like Home package.  So she is able to use her text and talk and data the same as she is in Canada. My question is, do I get charged to text her cell phone number while she is travelling in the United States?

Thank You

Retired Moderator RogersArthur
Retired Moderator

Hi @bulaxman,

Thank you for your patience and welcome to the Community Forums!Smiley Happy

While your wife is in the United States, as long as she's on the Share Everything + plan, you wont be charged when you call or text her cellular phone number from your calling area.

Hope this helps,

RogersArthur