cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roam Like Home charges

Hoggerjeff
I'm Here A Lot

Am I mistaken or is there nowhere on the Rogers site that tells you that the $5 daily Roam Like Home charge is per line?  I looked everywhere for that before I took the plunge, changed my plan to a Share Everything and ported my second phone number over from another provider.  

I honestly thought that the "Share Everything" included the roaming access with the Roam Like Home plan on all devices that are part of the plan.  Naive? Perhaps, but the dual $5 charges on my first bill were a shock. 

Rogers - maybe you should think about changing the name of the plan to "Share Almost Everything".

Sure would have been nice to even have some fine print somewhere on the web site that would have indicated this sneaky bit of accounting Tom-foolery...

84 REPLIES 84

Re: Roam Like Home charges

Hi @istvan1234,

Welcome to the Community :)!

Roam Like Home daily fee is per device and will be triggered once every 24 hours. You are only charged when you make or receive a phone call, send an SMS/MMS, or use data i.e. browse, maps or an application.

If you haven't made or received a phone call, sent an SMS/MMS or used data you will not be billed for connecting to Wifi. 

Hope this helps!

RogersZia

Best way to TRY and avoid this..

A) Remove the sim.. with no sim in the phone, it cant connect to the cellular network.  But you still should be able to connect to wifi  where its available.

B) Bar doing A.. put it in airplane mode.. this SHOULD disable it from connecting to cellular at all (though in some casses i have seen people say that it still did, just a tiny bit).  You can usually turn wifi back on while in airplane mode, to then connect to wifi.

delisleda
I've Been Here Awhile

had the same problem last year and after complaint that is what they sell me (MAX $5.00 per day 10 days max) never told me that my hot spot would be charge 10 days also at $5.00 they refund me and let me have it for  6 month. This year i saw that they haven't change their web site but i don't care anymore i used my phone as a hotspot and my contract is coming out in august.....   Telus is now offering a better deal ( 2 country 1 account no itiniary anymore and cheaper then Rogers) so i guess they will lose a 10 years client soon.....  Wake up ROGERS

Bill___
I Plan to Stick Around

I see two posts here. One that says they were "never told" that their hotspot would also be charged. I think from day 1, iths been quite evident that it was a charge "per device" and not "per account".  It is not realistc to expect it would be per account.  Although I wish Rogers would have a plan which encompassed USA (like Telus now does), Telus would requre a setup for a hotspot too.

As to the person that is upset that their one call now costs $5 instead of $1.45 - Sir, you are in the minority. Do you alo pay a monthly plan of $50 and make four calls a month? These things are not set up for occasional users. Get roam like home removed from your account if you don't want it.

Wi-Fi use - be sure to be careful with wi fi calling....read the terms.

BS
I'm a Senior Advisor

@Bill___

Good points you make, but I am one of those people who have not a 50 dollar plan, but a 25.00 plan, no data, and very careful user.

I turned off Roam like Home as you suggested, but in the posts, you will also find that Rogers did not make it easy to do that (automatically adding it to legacy accounts).  As to the point of we are in the minority (any data to support that?), and that is not the point - we purchase the service we have, did not ask to get Roam like Home, got it without asking us after we have carefully designed our use of phones to support our personal life style, situations, phone use and cost factors.

I also do cheap holidays when I go to the states - staying in cheap motels, camping lunches, and breakfasts, and dinners (just like my parents taught me - they are great - much more fun sitting looking at nature, lying on a bench while we eat, laying on a blanket, than sitting in noisy restaurants with so so food, and I just wait for WIFI connections, and roaming is never turned on.  In the US, every stop point has WIFI, every stoon the 400 series also does, every Tim Hortons, etc.

So, good point - turn off the Roam like Home - our point was that we had to push for that knowledge that we could even do it.  Originally they said we couldn't, then they said once on, you couldn't turn it off, and that to turn it on, it is a text, but turn it off, you have to use a CSR contact.

We just want choice, honest answers, and consideration of our needs. - That 3.00 and a bit buys me a coffee on my trip by the way - and as I say, our trips are done totally on the cheap.

Final point, on the discussion of max 50 in billing term - yes beaware - if you were 2 days before end of billing period, yes that would run you 70 dollars if you have another 5 days in next period.

Some competitors have it for 30 days from start, not billing period. Not saying one is better than the other, just be aware of the fine print and do keep asking questions and using examples until you fully understand.

Bruce

Bill___
I Plan to Stick Around

You could also just turn off roaming and wi fi calling on your phone...

I hear where you are coming from, we both use it differently.

As to you being in the minority, I know it is not good to assume but at the same time I don't find it unrealistic to do so. Out of the people I know, yes, you are in the minority big time.

Have a good day.

BS
I'm a Senior Advisor

@Bill___

Good suggestions, and clarifies the confusion for some over how to avoid roaming, period.

I don't have to worry about WIFI calling - our phones don't support it.  Yes, we are frugal with our cell phone costs, have very old plans, and no data - WIFI is available just about anywhere, and we do our calling, and texting via Facebook when we take breaks on our trips. And we run our phones like our computers - I used to be a tech, so I use ebay parts and repair my devices, and they keep on going like the ever ready bunny.  We also pass our phones around the family - if someone does choose they want the new stuff, the old ones get passed on.

Back to roaming: In an emergency, we would turn our roaming back on - our roaming is actually never ever on.  And I do appreciate the option of Roam like Home if we have an emergency and find we need to use our phones to deal with it.  In the past, we would have just viewed it as an emergency, and we would have paid it without complaint.  That is why we have emergency funds saved over the years.

We have made a grand total of 3 texts and 2 short phone calls on our trips to the U.S. once to twice per year for vacations.

So, maybe I am the minority, but that is ok with me, I was just playing a bit with the terms of minority (too many years working as a research and data statisician (spelling?). That is what got me into computers and electronics because I had to build data collection devices, and maintain computers on the cheap, so I learned how to be a tech and programmer.  I was trained to use my descriptive words of statistical description with a high level of precision based upon data, so was just having my own fun with the words. Smiley Happy

I do appreciate that we do have the choice of either option in Roaming, and to each their own.

The conversation has been fun, and the thread as a whole I believe has been informative for those of us who want the choice of the options, we now know we can turn it on and off as we desire, we understand the billing period concept for the 50.00 cap, and data doesn't matter to me, as I never use network data (don't have it).

And I think the discussion has highlighted the challenges for some us to understand such a significant change in the model, as well as the challenges of wrapping ones head around how to avoid charges totally and the infamous "fine print".

As a final note, I have spent so many years not using roaming on our devices, that we developed our own methods of just doing without, and the thought of paying even 5 dollars, so I can do something that I do so rarely, would mean I would begin to slip out of my frugal mindset and begin to spend small amounts of money on things I live without.  Just me, the not so silent minority.

Take care, and we me roam in what ever way we choose to roam.Smiley Happy

Bruce

Bill___
I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks for your response, Bruce.

For ud

s, roam like home has been very beneficil. For years, roaming rates were so punitive (more than saetllite data even) that one had little choice but to either not use phe phone, or, where possible, get a local sim card.

The mobile companies were adamant at the time that roaming rates were not coming down, it was ridiculous, We would see ads in the UK about good roaming packages for them, but not fot us.

We actually went bact to Rogers as they were the only ones to have the roaming package - although Telus now has it in more countries than Rogers now - notably Thailand, Singapore, and Indonesia. Rogers has, so far, done nothing from what I can see to correct this.

Happy travels

bar_foo
I've Been Here Awhile

I just had a deeply unproductive chat with a support agent about what had triggered Roam Like Home charges during an international trip. I had data roaming off, did not make or pick up any calls, and did not send any texts.  (But was not in flight mode and did use wifi.) I may have received SMSes (certainly I got the "Welcome Abroad" message from Rogers), but as I understand it that should NOT trigger Roam Like Home.

I feel that I received very poor support. In particular, the agent gave information that flatly contradicts the Rogers website. They did not seem to understand some of my questions, and simply ignored my question about whether it was possible to identify what had triggered Roam Like Home in this instance.

I hope someone here will be able to tell me whether it's possible to trace why I was charged, despite having tried to do everything to avoid Roam Like Home being triggered. And I'd like to know how to avoid this in the future, short of staying on Flight Mode all the time.

Bill___
I Plan to Stick Around

There are three components to mobile communications:

SMS

Voice Calls

Data

Shutting off roaming data still allows the other towo things. Your welcome sms probablt triggered  it.

If you do not have wi fi calling, put your phone in flight mode then turn on wi fi,

if you do have wi fi calling, that may be a more intense discussion, or turn it off too,

Hi @bar_foo,

Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums :).

It surely doesn't help when there is no definite answer provided for billing concerns. A welcome message does not trigger a Roam Like Home charge. You are only billed when you make or receive a phone call, send an SMS/MMS, or use data i.e. browse, maps or an application.

If you'd like we can take a look into your account to see what triggered the Roam Like Home charge. Please contact us via PM @CommunityHelps and we would be happy to assist you further. 

To learn more about our Private Messaging system, you can visit here.

RogersZia 

BS
I'm a Senior Advisor

One further thing: MMS, or what people call video or picture text, (MMS is Multimedia messaging system), uses data and that can trigger it.  If you have data turned off, you can't send an MMS, even if you have it under your plan.

Bruce

Jimmccormick
I've Been Around

I cannot call 800 phone numbers from Mexico even though I pay 100 dollars for roam like home. 

Hi @Jimmccormick

Welcome to the Community Forums and thank you for posting!  Smiley Happy.

Running into communication issues can definitely be inconvenient on a vacation. What's the number you're trying to dial? Are you getting a message when you try to call?

Let us know to further assist you.

RogersPrasana

@Hoggerjeff:

Many toll free numbers are country specific, so you can only dial them from within that country.  We are "lucky" in Canada in that we can dial most US toll free numbers.  However:

https://www.avoxi.com/blog/are-toll-free-numbers-free-to-call-internationally/

Most toll free numbers can only be dialed for free within their own country. This means that in most cases, toll free numbers are only free for customers who are physically in-country.

If you are dialing a USA toll free number in the US, it is free to call. (But keep in mind that you may not be able to dial a US toll free number from abroad.) If you are able to call the number, you may be charged the international rate.

See also:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toll-free_telephone_number#Around_the_world

Note that for Mexico, you need to use 01-800, but I'm not sure if that applies to cell phones.

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

May be as 57 said.. that its not a number available to call from where you are.

One thing to remember.. wherever you are, you are on THAT network, and any calling 'rules' or limiations from there would be present when you call.

Roam like home, doesnt mean your calling it just the same as home wherever you are.
Its just means that your not going to get any charges, other than the roam like home charges for that day, from that other network your on.
You pay the $ per day.. and then get say unlimited calling minutes, based on if your plan has it normally.  You wouldnt get the normal PER MINUTE roaming charge from that other carrier, etc.

aziz1992
I've Been Around

Roam Like Home enabled but being billed at $9.99/10 mb?!

I am on Share Everything plan (5 GB remaining).

I'm overseas and I texted TRAVEL to 222, got a reply back confirming saying "I'm enrolled in Roam Like Home blah blah blah". 

So I enable data roaming and start using data.

About 10 minutes later, I get a text saying I've incurred 100$ in overage charges. I check my usage and I've used only 100 mb. This leads me to believe I'm being billed at 9.99 / 10mb. I was under the impression that if I have Roam Like Home enabled, I will be billed like as if I'm at home, using data from my original data plan (which has 5 GB remaining). 

Can anyone explain to me what's going on? Am I misunderstand or missing something?

Thanks.

BS
I'm a Senior Advisor

@Gdkitty  The answer provided make sense to me, but I wouldn't have a clue where to look or call when on another carriers network, on roam like home.

I have enough troubles understanding Roam Like Home as it is presented and explained currently.

That is part of the reason why my family still continues to not use Roam Like Home in general, and opts in and out as we choose depending upon what we need to be done.  Also the reason for our unlocked phones and purchasing plans - we have one that we just swap in the sim card, go online, or call the company and add on dollar amounts for what we expect to use.  We do go enough once per year at least that those plans stay open to us to use.  And if they closed, we would just pop into the duty free shop as we go past boarder, or any vending machine in the airport there, and get a new one.

Yes, Roaming can still be a challenge and there are exceptions that are not well explained at times.

Only thing is to call in and discuss and maybe, just maybe, on one time basis they may reverse some or all of it.

Bruce

BS
I'm a Senior Advisor

@aziz1992

Don't know if there is a free contact number for Rogers to clarify what is going on, or at least for you to understand your next steps.

You have explained it the way I understand it, but I have never turned on Data outside of Canada ever, except in an emergency, and fortunately, when it did happen, I was able to access Rogers support to clarify and decide how to proceed in my case.

If you are able to use WIFI and do online, you could chat in and get clarification, and make your decisions from there.

No other experiential solutions from me unfortunately.

Good luck in getting the clarification and hopefully reversed, even if you just misunderstood - maybe able to get one time reversal of it if it turns out you misunderstood.  Your explanation seems logical based upon what I know and have had explained to me.

Let us know what you learn.  Roam like home often seems like a little bit more protection, but there are enough exceptions that there seems to be many things we don't learn until it happens, and in my experience, it took me about 5 conversations, and lots of reading to get my understanding, and I still won't claim I understand it well.

Good luck and if anyone here understands, maybe you can guide them to an answer or solution.

Bruce

I totally agree . I JUST purchased a new phone with a tablet for 10 bucks a month and was not told that roam like home was per device. I travel a lot so now the tablet is kind of useless.

BS
I'm a Senior Advisor

Changes to roam like home were announced today jan 31st, 2018 via Mobile Syrup.

https://mobilesyrup.com/2018/01/31/rogers-increases-international-roam-like-home-service-fee/

Has anyone seen any notices in advance of these changes.  Is there not a requirement to provide notice to customers of rate changes, or does it not apply to this "add on".

As a family we have never used any more than 2 days on a trip, and that was because of a car emergency, so it really doesn't impact our practices anyway.  I suspect many were controlling their limits of use to avoid overages - does some of this fit into the definition of overages of data as presented by CRTC in wireless code clarification.

Just be aware of the changes and act accordingly.

Bruce