Roam Like Home charges

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm a Senior Advisor

Re: Roam Like Home charges

@aziz1992

Don't know if there is a free contact number for Rogers to clarify what is going on, or at least for you to understand your next steps.

You have explained it the way I understand it, but I have never turned on Data outside of Canada ever, except in an emergency, and fortunately, when it did happen, I was able to access Rogers support to clarify and decide how to proceed in my case.

If you are able to use WIFI and do online, you could chat in and get clarification, and make your decisions from there.

No other experiential solutions from me unfortunately.

Good luck in getting the clarification and hopefully reversed, even if you just misunderstood - maybe able to get one time reversal of it if it turns out you misunderstood.  Your explanation seems logical based upon what I know and have had explained to me.

Let us know what you learn.  Roam like home often seems like a little bit more protection, but there are enough exceptions that there seems to be many things we don't learn until it happens, and in my experience, it took me about 5 conversations, and lots of reading to get my understanding, and I still won't claim I understand it well.

Good luck and if anyone here understands, maybe you can guide them to an answer or solution.

Bruce

I've Been Around

I totally agree . I JUST purchased a new phone with a tablet for 10 bucks a month and was not told that roam like home was per device. I travel a lot so now the tablet is kind of useless.
I'm a Senior Advisor

Changes to roam like home were announced today jan 31st, 2018 via Mobile Syrup.

https://mobilesyrup.com/2018/01/31/rogers-increases-international-roam-like-home-service-fee/

Has anyone seen any notices in advance of these changes.  Is there not a requirement to provide notice to customers of rate changes, or does it not apply to this "add on".

As a family we have never used any more than 2 days on a trip, and that was because of a car emergency, so it really doesn't impact our practices anyway.  I suspect many were controlling their limits of use to avoid overages - does some of this fit into the definition of overages of data as presented by CRTC in wireless code clarification.

Just be aware of the changes and act accordingly.

Bruce

I've Been Here Awhile

Rogers recent Roam like Home price change is highway robbery! Who else can increase prices by 80% ($90 vs $50/month previously) and get away with it? I bet most people don’t even realize it and will be in for a shock. Rogers notified me about the $5 to $6 daily increase (20%) but didn’t say anything about the 10 to 15 day maximum, which is a much bigger increase
I've Been Around

I was in US with my data off and my roaming off. Connected to wifi and was charged for everyday I was there. I was told that unless you are in airplane mode (and therefore also not connected to wifi) you will be charged. Makes phone useless unless you pay
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

That is more of a PHONE issue per say, than a phone carrier thing though.

Any charges like that, you could get, is due to your phone connecting TO the wireless carrier down there.  They say "Hey, your not a (example) AT&T user, your on rogers, so im going to bill rogers" and then rogers gets that, and in turn bills  you.
That can be initiated as simply as connecting to the US carrier.

Though, in your case, with roaming off.. it SHOULDNT have connected to the others.  It must have at some point.

In the case of airplane mode, it usually completely turns off the cellular antenna. 
Not sure on all phones, but on many, you can turn the wifi back ON while its in airplane.

I've Been Here Awhile

This remains largely inscrutable. Last year I thought I understood it, but thne reading the latest information at https://www.rogers.com/customer/support/article/roam-like-home-and-roaming-support is i) too voluminous and ii) uses jargon.

For example, "premium texts" are treated differently (and they're not good). But what are they? I've never heard of them and the page doesn't provide a link.

Then, it says:

"Keep in mind that you will not be charged the Roam Like Home daily fee for incoming texts from family and friends — no matter where they are in the world."

So, this seems to be stated in isolation, after another section on MY5 or MY10, but not clearly related to it, so how does Rogers know who my family and friends are?

It looks like I wouldn't in general be charged for incoming texts.

It doesn't say what happens if I get a call and don't answer it. At least, I can't find that info.

I seem to recall last year it saying that I wouldn't be charged if I didn't answer the call.

So, no point having a phone off Airplane mode if you're going to get charged even if you decided not to send a text (which then falls into more categories of charges than I've mentioned here) and decide to decline calls, but want the option of someone reaching me and answering.

Have I got my confusion well-enough understood?

Hello, @ctlow

Thank you for sharing your concerns with the Community. I surely appreciate your position, a total comprehension of a product/service is very important. 

Premium Text Messages:

Premium messaging is an option used to purchase messaging programs or subscribe to them, provided by third party content providers at premium rates. These programs are initiated through five or six-digit numbers, known as short codes. Short codes are similar to a telephone number and are used to route text messages from mobile phones to interactive mobile messaging applications.

Premium programs are advertised in all types of media including television, radio, newspapers, magazines and the Internet.

Most common premium programs:

• Alerts and tips, i.e. weather alerts, sports score alerts, daily jokes, horoscopes, dating tips;
  • Purchasing of content, i.e. games & game credits, ringtones, wallpaper, screensavers;
  • Chat services;
  • Interactive voting during TV shows and/or radio shows.

Roam Like Home charge:

The charge is triggered on the day you make/receive a phone call, send an SMS/MMS, or use data i.e. browse the Internet, check emails, and use maps or any application which uses data.  And your understanding is correct, incoming texts will not trigger the charge.

Hope some of your confusion got cleared. 

Cheers,

RogersMoin

I've Been Here Awhile

Merci, RogerMoins,

It's always been a jungle. The help and FAQ pages need to be easy to find and crystal-clear on these matters, and that is not now nor ever has been the case.

Internal links on those pages to the questions you've answered are surely necessary, for example.

A remaining confusions relates to _unanswered_ phone calls - do they trigger the Roam Like Home charge?

What happens to voice-mail calls while roaming?

Charles

I've Been Around

I agree with your posting.  Especially today as the rate is now $7 per day up to 15 days per billing period.  I really am unhappy with Roger's being able to increase rates while I am still working within the original contract.  3 phones expire in August and I will be re-evaluating my long term commitment to Rogers at that point.