Roam Like Home Monthly Maximums - New CRTC Wireless Code

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Re: Roam Like Home Monthly Maximums - New CRTC Wireless Code

It really didn’t bother me paying for the 11th day but I do my research before traveling. Clearly there is no wording on their website that says “not combinable” or “per country”. I even reviewed the terms and conditions. They advertise it as one product with different rates. I’m sure i’m not the only one that has encountered this. Maybe adding a few disclosures to the webpage or adding it to the FAQs would be nice so you’re not blindsided. My main opposition to this was the comment I received from the service rep saying that it’s not on their website and it’s my responsibility to ask
Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

As of Feb 8, 2018, the FAQ's were updated.

Now reads in the section on extended trips.

In section: Can I travel in multiple destinations in one day? 

Yes, you can travel between eligible Roam Like Home destinations because the fee covers you for 24 hours, regardless of time zone difference.

This statement above is kind of vague - I am guessing - yes, not good to guess - I would ask as this is not clear - I guess that means since they speak of time zones - they mean within Roam Like Home Destinations (i.e., US. or International being two different destinations).  Guess this is another we are supposed to ask, if we don't understand.

You will find this at the bottom of the description.

Keep in mind: The 15-day maximum Roam Like fee applies separately to the U.S. ($6 a day) and all other eligible destinations ($12 a day). For example, if you spend 20 days in the U.S. and then 10 days in Mexico within one monthly bill period, you’ll be charged 15 days for the U.S. ($90 total) and 10 days for Mexico ($120 total).

(This does not specifically address if you move from U.S. to International in the same day - do you pay 12.00 for the day, do you pay 10.00 then 12.00, - another one to ask).

It seems that when they design these FAQ's, like many other things, they don't run them across customers first and see what customers questions would be, they just wait for the Frequently asked questions - so we now see the answer to the question in this post.

So it is in the FAQ's.

Interesting thing though - thanks Rogers for consistently not testing your web sites on all current browsers!!

In Edge, I could see the details, which had a scroll bar, and you could scroll down to the FAQ, then you will have to dig the FAQ and you will find what I see above - it is not presented in an obvious manner, and is not in the details on the original web page on Roam like home, and on the main page, intuitively, you would read 15 days max per month, it is only this one statement buried at the bottom of the one FAQ.  Read, read, read, everything and ask questions.

But back to browsers - in Edge, you go to the bottom, by dragging the highlighted part of the bar, not the old method, of a down arrow, or click below the highlighted area - something knew in how browsers work I guess.

But low and behold, in Firefox, you can't scroll period - so you would never see the reference to the FAQ's.

Chrome will scroll, but Firefox, nope - have said this before, will say it again - does this company not take the initiative to test their browser pages on all current browsers - obviously not because this isn't new.

So be aware, that when looking for FAQ's, if it is one of these flip over detail things they now use, if you have to scroll to get to the bottom, you can't use Firefox.

On the topic, of our responsibility - it is our responsibility to ask questions if there are things we are unsure of - but key here is that we would have to even know it was something we were unsure of, but one argument that could be made, is it is our responsibility to define to Rogers or any carrier our service needs, so if we plan to travel to U.S. in one day, then the next day, to an international country, while part was in U.S. say, fly to the other country or take boat, so part in U.S. part in International, we tell them we need to know how Roam like home will work in that situation.

So yes in a sense, under the Wireless code, technically, the wording is in error, it is not our responsibility to ask that question, it is our responsibility to describe our needs and have them explain.  If they didn't give full details, then you have grounds for a wireless code complaint.

Symantec, I know, but the CSR has communicated in error - it is not our responsibility to ask for all details, it is our responsibility to tell them our needs, and for them to clarify our needs and to explain how the services and costs will apply.  So yes, we have a responsibility, just poorly worded by them.  You can't ask about something about a service if you have not stated your needs, and it is their job to fully clarify your needs with you, and then to provide the full details.  We can't be expected to know what questions and details to ask about the service, just to be able to describe what our needs are.

And last point on all this - Rogers is in all places, describing this as a pay per use service (not a roaming service) and in the Wireless Code, it speaks of travel packages, and technically, Rogers and others are arguing, that since we are using our at home services, then overages will apply as if we were at home, that in a sense, the roam like home fee is not a roaming fee, it is a pay per use service giving us access to our home plan.

Given this, I would suggest to people that they consider the cost/benefits of Roam like home and how you plan to travel and use your phone, that a travel pak or pay per use - some plans don't have roam like home, but since there are no travel paks shown for United States, I guess it would be pay per use only.

You may also want to consider unlocked phone and a SIM card as an alternative for extended stays - 90.00 for 10+ days - I can assure you can get a pretty solid pay as you go option in the US for less than that - look it up and consider all your options.

For myself - I had myself unenrolled from Roam Like Home, because I use so little phone time in the U.S. that pay per use, was always a better option, and now that they increased it to 90.00, there is no way I would ever use that much time.  I don't even use that much time at home, let alone on a trip.

But each person needs to evaluate their best travel option for their needs.  Don't pay any attention to the phrases I have heard, "why would you not use roam like home", there is no better deal.

The key, is some of these reps have forgotten the first step in working with a customer under the wireless code - customer to work with company to determine their needs and the service options and prices.  By just jumping to Roam like Home, they have not identified my needs when I say I am going to the U.S.  - I need to say, I am going to the U.S. and historically, I may turn my phone on 1 time in the last 5 years.  They can present their sales pitch, but always stick to your definition of needs, not look what you could do, etc - that is all marketing.

Personally, I think the reason they have no travel packages anymore, just the roam like home option for those eligible phones, unless you unenroll - you are enrolled automatically, but you don't have to be - you can turn in on on line or myRogers, but you have to call in to turn it off - you have a choice - automatically on, but you can turn it off.

Back to the personal belief - is that by calling it a pay per use service, and not providing travel packages, they have stepped around the wireless code definitions.  I encourage any of those who disagree in the current interpretation by Rogers and the other companies, - contact the CRTC - it wouldn't be the first time the code was changed when the interpretation didn't match the principle of the code - that is why our phones are unlocked, why they have to understand our needs, why they have to explain everything, and why they have to confirm in writing to us anything we agree to, etc.  all the recent changes in the code in December were a result of interpretation clarifications, and CRTC deferred the full implementation of roaming, because all companies claimed that technology was not in place to handle the proposed caps and questions like each phone versus each account - by claiming per use service, those are by phone, not account, so another wording to avoid the principle of cap per account, not phone.

We will see what the CRTC has to say for sure - keep letting them know if you don't agree, as someone earlier said they were doing.  The wireless code is a work in progress.

Bruce

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

Quick update - did a chat to confirm cost for my wife and I to be in U.S. with our phones - It still comes down to since we are in the same place, and we use WIFI everywhere we can get it, she will use her Roam Like Home sparingly - not every day, and I will stay unenrolled, and per use as I am almost always with her, and I may make 1 phone call to her say we are on opposite ends of a mall - she will text me if needed . 25c received I was told as not on Roam like home .75c to text her, no cost to her as on roam like home - meet me here in 10 minutes. If I send, she doesn't pay for text, if she sends, she clicks on pay as you go - her last 10 day trip, even with emergency breakdown, she payed 2 days roam like home.

So I would pay 6.00 for roam like home - why?  boy it was hard for the CSR to find the answer - he had to really dig to find the details.  And good luck finding it on the web site.

Now, we talked what if we go for an extended stay and let's say we are using a phone each day - check out American prices of per day and per month pay as you go - beats 90.00 hands down.  I won't say how much or companies.

My message, is be aware of your usage patterns and needs - Roam like home is not always the best deal if you have to use it. In my case on my phone, I may as well leave it at home, but I like to use WIFI when available, so I bring it, and turn it off roaming and off data roaming.  A couple of days with Roam like home, is neither here nor there, and you don't have to worry if you are in an emergency and need lots of minutes, or data as you home plan will cover it generally.  So it is turned on on hers.

So advice for travellers - 1. get your phone unlocked if it is not yet.

2. evaluate whether given your length of stay out of country and minutes/data - you may find a us or international pay as you go may be better - but do evaluate the differences.

3. Evaluate whether you need Roam like Home, or if like me, you may be better off with pay per use.

In over 15 years of travelling to the U.S. almost every year once or twice, we made 5 texts and received 3, and 2 short phone calls, except for this last year, when Roam like home helped due to car failure and contacting people.

But for me, it is off, but you can turn it on at any time.  And they say, once on, don't worry about it, you don't need to turn it off, you only pay when you use it - me, if I have to turn it on for an emergency, once done with the emergency, unenroll again it would be.

If you call in and don't want the automatic Roam Like Home they gave you and never asked - then specifically ask them to unenroll from Roam Like Home - just ask for it, you don't have to explain yourself.  They may have trouble figuring out what they are supposed to do, but it is just a click on the screen - enroll, unenroll from what I was told when I turned it off.  But only can be done with a chat, or call.

And now it is on almost all plans - any coincidence to that timing and the roaming caps? Just thinking out loud.  And I confuse them even more - I don't have data, so I have to ask, how much will it cost if I use data in the us without roam like home 7.99 for  first 50 mb and 7.99 for each 50 after that.  I have no data, so Roam like home makes no difference for data for me - I still pay that rate in U.S.

So know your needs, express them as clearly as possible, give examples of how you may use and travel, and discuss options that Rogers offers - Roam Like Home doesn't have to be your default option - it may not be the best deal - It is like a low end pay as you go customer considering paying for a monthly plan when they only turn their phone on once or twice a month.

Happy travelling and shopping - wonder what CRTC will say in long run.

Bruce

Bruce

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

You know what I was thinking.

If you are going to travel outside of Canada, why not buy a dual sim less expensive phone.

When you get to the country you are, Celluar pkg are very cheap, you use the second Sim slot for your rogers and have the primary as your day to day useage. They wouldn't charge you for incoming text or call unless you answer the call or respond to the text, there are a lot of messaging apps that wouldn't cost you for sending text back to Canada, if you need to call back use roam like home for one day.

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Unexplained roam like home increased charges?

Apparently max/month increased from $60 to $90 - a 50% increase without warning!

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

What I have read in various places in CRTC documents on line is that Rogers makes the claim that Roam Like Home is an add-on, and if you read the terms, it is only the plans that they are required to notify us of changes in terms or prices.

Add-ons under the terms require no notice, and that is what they did.

There is also the claim that roam like home is not a "travel or roaming" add-on, and the restrictions that CRTC specifically state roaming and travel paks.  Rogers describes roam like home as a use of your home plan, not roaming, or travel add-on or package (symantecs), so the caps that were set are not applicable.

This playing with names and the intent of the CRTC has been going on by all companies since the CRTC started to build protections into place.  If you question the practice, discuss it as a concern then raise it to CCTC and/or CRTC as feedback on the implementation of the new Wireless Codes.

Me, personally, I haven't travelled in a while - my wife did - she used two days of roam like home in an emergency situation of a car failure and car accident (all worked out fine, just killed the pocket book on exchange rates), and my daughter when she comes up from states, their plans cover Canada data and calling and text as part of their basic plans, and my wife plans to put a SIM card from the US in as the phone is now unlocked - you just have to get the correct APN settings, but those are on line from all companies, and if you buy the SIM in a store, they walk you through it.

Yeh, that price jump was quite a hit for those who like to take a block of time away from home and want to keep contact.

Bruce

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Have we heard from CRTC about roam like home?

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Have great news for US travel roam like home.

New from Rogers.

$7 /DAY1

You’re charged for a max of 15 days per monthly bill and only for the days when you actually use your phone in any eligible destination on your trip.

Yes people Rogers "opps did it again" because we complained they have raised the price Roam like Home.

You know what buying a sim card from US and using one of the apps for making calls back to Canada is looking much better.

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

I will say this as I have said before. It is a mutual responsibility for the customer and the rep to identify the customer needs. Like whee are you travelling. What days. Etc. And then you can clarify your needs together then they advise. The crtc wireless code says we work together to know our needs through research in their cheat sheet. It is not our responsibility to as. It is a mutual responsibility. The last person who said that to me I said I disagree. I will be filing a concern and escalating he came back and capitulated after thinking about it or maybe consulting.
yes our responsibility to research but asking the customer dates usage patterns and locale is a no Brainerd for a rep who wants to fully understand the needs of the customer.

Uggh

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

Rogers got a deferral on the cap question for financial and technical challenges of changing their automated system until May 31st. Customers could question overages outside wireless code rules to company and escalate if necessary as far as CCTC.

Spefic questions about your understanding or need for clarification can be sent directly to CRTC.

My confusion is as follows. Crtc says 50 data cap shut off overages on data at home Canada. The language of the international cap is on add on which would be device but Rogers says these are to travel add-ons just a per use extension of home data and services. So why would the overage cap apply like at home too 50 per account not per device. Very confusing for crtc to decide. Us to question and Rogers to try to defend and crtc to clarify. Only by taking to crtc as recommended can we get clarity. Rogers can say all they want to say but we can escalate but we can also request crtc clarification. I don't travel so non issue for me and I opted out of roam like home from the beginning. For my usage patterns when I travel if I do, per use is more appropriate. My wife uses roam like home but she is not a data user and would top up if necessary on her 500 MB

So yes send of a request for clarification.