Roam Like Home Monthly Maximums - New CRTC Wireless Code

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Roam Like Home Monthly Maximums - New CRTC Wireless Code

Hello,

I am looking for some clarification on Roam Like Home charges.

The Rogers website states that for the international, $10/day Roam Like Home, there is a max of $100/billing cycle:

"You’re only charged for a max of 10 days per monthly bill and only for the days when you actually use your phone in any eligible destination on your trip."

How it also states this is per device. I am assuming that this $100/max was instituted to be in compliance with the CRTC's Wireless Code maximum of $100/mo for roaming charges.

Under the new wireless code that is come into effect as of Dec 1, 2017, it states in E(2)(iii) that  "in all instances, this cap applies on a per-account basis, regardless of the number of devices associated with the account.".

Am I then correct in understanding that Roam Like Home will now be charged for $10/day up to a maximum of $10 days PER ACCOUNT rather than per line? 

Example: Two lines on the same account travel to an international Roam Like Home destination for 6 days. Each line would accumulate roam like home charges for 6 days at $10/day = $60/line but capped at $100 for account?

Thank you

***EDITED LABELS***

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Roam Like Home Monthly Maximums - New CRTC Wireless Code

Hopefully you can get an official response.  

But yes, thats my understanding on how its now supposed to work.

Highlighted

Good morning @ashdkjasdy92434!

That's a good question! It's unlikely a Community member can provide an accurate response to this question so I'm here to provide some clarity.

Roam Like Home is a service that is initiated when you are roaming. Since it let's you use your plan exactly as you would at home, it technically doesn't count as roaming on your bill, so this $100 limit does not apply at this time.

The $100 limit only applies if you're roaming in a country that does not offer Roam Like Home.

I hope this answers your question.

Regards,

RogersCorey

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Hi Corey,

I disagree with your assessment. 

The code specifically states:

"Any amount that the customer pays in data roaming fees, whether via a roaming add-on (before use) or via overage fees (after use), counts toward this cap."

Therefore given that it states "ANY AMOUNT", how do you figure that Roam Like Home would not be included? If it's not an add on, and is not overage, and its not a part of "any" roaming fee then what is it, given that "roam" is in the actual name of the fee?

Thank you

Highlighted

Hi @ashdkjasdy92434,

I understand that you disagree but this is how it is.

Roam Like Home does not count towards the Wireless Code of Conduct roaming cap at this time.

Regards,

RogersCorey

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Thank you for your reply.

I have filed a complaint with the CRTC and will wait for them to weigh in on this issue.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Here is the NEW 2018 roam like home charge.

What is Roam Like Home?

• For $6 ( used to be $5) per day in the U.S. and $12 (used to be $10) per day in over 100 eligible international destinations, you get full access to the data, talk and text included in your monthly plan.
  • Call and text Canadian numbers just as you would at home on your monthly plan, as well as numbers in the eligible destination you’re visiting.

Here is a summary of the daily fee details for Roam Like Home:

• You’re only charged on days you use your device (make/receive a call, send a text, use data), and you will only be charged for a maximum of 15 (used to be 10) days per monthly bill.
  • The daily fee covers you for 24 hours from the time you use your device, regardless of time zone difference.
  • The daily fee applies separately for each device that uses Roam Like Home.

Before it was 10 days max. of $50 US and $100 International.Now its $90 and $180.

Rogers thinks we are made of money.

The only benefit of using Rogers is that you where using your own Cell #.

When i go on holidays , i'm going to decide if i will use Roam Like Home or get a sim card with data.

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

I just came back from a cruise and learned something new about the Roam Like Home. I was charged 11 days when I thought it was supposed to be 10. This was last month before the changes. After a lengthy web chat session it was revealed that the cap is per country. I was in the US and then the Bahamas. The US individually is 10 days (15 now) and the the Bahamas is another 10 days, 15 now (if I had stayed there longer). When asked to provide this information I was told that it's not mentioned on their site and it's the customers responsibility to ask. Nice customer service!!!! So if you plan on country hopping you could pay for the fee the whole month long.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Maybe we shouldn't pay our invoice , just because they send it its there responsibility to ask as us we will pay our invoice.

I' starting to use handout making my calls back home.

Told friends to get in touch with me by any apps and I will call them using handouts.

So uess what rogers I'm paying nothing lol.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

(while i completely agree with fighting for any error charges, I dont suggest not paying your bills.  Unpaid bills in the long run can go to collections, and ruin your credit rating)

The price/change, i think should have been much better communicated... if it was for new lines only, thats one thing, but if its retroactive, than it should have been broadcasted better.

Though, If my memory serves me right, the PER COUNTRY charges, that each is separate, has been there since day one.