cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Returning phone on contract end for new one

jimy
I plan to stick around

What is the process for returning phone in contract end in exchange for new phone/contract? Specifically.. I assume they let you keep both phones to do transfer of data etc..

**Labels Added**

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Returning phone on contract end for new one

RogersZia

Good evening @jimy,

Are you looking to return a device under the Upfront Edge program or are you interested in benefiting from the Rogers Trade up Program?

Rogers Upfront Edge financing is available on select phones with a Rogers Infinite plan. At the end of 2 years, you can either return your phone and upgrade to the latest device, or keep your phone and pay off the Upfront Edge amount.

With the Rogers Trade-Up program you can trade in phones, tablets, or Apple Watches from any carrier to help offset the cost of getting a new device. 

Please check out the following two blogs for more info:

Feel free to let us know if you have any follow up questions :)!

RogersZia

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

RogersZia

Good evening @jimy,

Are you looking to return a device under the Upfront Edge program or are you interested in benefiting from the Rogers Trade up Program?

Rogers Upfront Edge financing is available on select phones with a Rogers Infinite plan. At the end of 2 years, you can either return your phone and upgrade to the latest device, or keep your phone and pay off the Upfront Edge amount.

With the Rogers Trade-Up program you can trade in phones, tablets, or Apple Watches from any carrier to help offset the cost of getting a new device. 

Please check out the following two blogs for more info:

Feel free to let us know if you have any follow up questions :)!

RogersZia

cparks1
I've been around

I feel totally duped by the change and now it's costing me, when I upgraded my phone 2yrs ago I thought it was business as usual, since I've been with Rogers for decades.  I got an email reminding me that my SA was coming to and end and that if I didn't return the phone it would be charged $450 for it. I thought it was actually a scam.  Until it wasn't.  When I had upgraded my phone no one explained this to me that after the 2yrs the rules have changed I will either need to pay for the phone or I will have to return it.  What was I paying for all this time.  I've never ever had to return a phone in all my decades with Rogers.  I have 2 phones and one I just upgraded and again no one explained anything to me so I'm sure again im in the wrong plan and this will happen all over again after 2 yrs.  I spoke to the loyalty team and they can't/won't do anything about it.  I have 2 phones and I pay $300 a month already and tack on another $450 and regular billing. This is quickly eroding any faith in this company I have.  I don't understand why its not properly explained, and yes I get that I didn't ask but I don't know what I don't know.  I'm %100 sur that this comment will be meaningless to Rogers should I share it on all social medias, I'm literally just one person in the millions of other customers 

Hello @cparks1,

Thanks for joining us here in the community and for sharing your hardware and billing concerns!

Just to confirm, we still have our standard financing option that allows you to get a new device for $0 down and then you have 2 years to pay off the device on a month to month basis. Once done, the device is yours to keep.

As I'm sure you've noticed, the cost for devices has gone up significantly over the past few years. As some customers are finding it more challenging to afford the latest devices, we introduced our Upfront Edge program which provides customers with a significant discount off of the retail cost of the device. This allows customers to pay a lower monthly rate over the 2 year period, however, once the 2 years is up, they have the choice to return the device in good working condition and upgrade to a new device once again, or they can choose to keep their existing device and just pay off the upfront edge amount that was given as a discount at the very start.

When you completed your purchase, you should have been provided with the terms and conditions of your agreement. May I please confirm where/how your purchase was made? If done in-store, you would have had to review and sign a detailed document outlining the terms and conditions of the offer. If done any other way, you would have been sent an email confirmation outlining the terms and conditions of the offer.

Also, if you review your monthly bills online, it actually provides details of your agreement there as well.

Hopefully, this provides you with some clarification. Let us know if you have further questions or concerns! 🙂

Thanks,
RogersYasmine

Sgirl
I've been around

Same thing just happened to me.  Exactly.  I have never once wanted to return or upgrade my phone after the 2 year service/finance.   And not only did I feel deceived, but they charged GST on the full price of the device/spread out over the 2 year finance contract, even though I didn't purchase the device and I'm returning it.  I'll be reporting that.  They're collecting tax on a product/service they didn't actually give me.  Customer service guy said "that's just how they do it".  

Kcsdkavanagh
I plan to stick around

The Upfront Edge finance option is clearly stated on the Rogers website when choosing a phone. After 2 years, if you don't keep the phone, you return it owing nothing more. If you want to keep the phone you have to pay the Upfront Edge amount at the end of the 2 years. The details are on the contract when the phone is financed through Upfront Edge. Upfront Edge is cheaper monthly but only if you return the phone after 2 years. If you know you will keep your phone after 2 years, check other cellphone providers for one who finances phones monthly evenly over 24 months with no upfront charge owed at end of 2 years. I left Rogers. Too expensive, plus I was told the phone was not in a returnable state so I had no choice but to pay the upfront amount and keep a useless phoine. Paid full price for a phone that wasnt working after 2 years. 

fitness06967
I plan to stick around

The process of returning phones in contract is a complete mess.

This is what it happened to me:

- 20 days before the end of my contract, I upgraded to new phones and selected that I was going to return mine and my wife's old phones.

- Two days later I received my new phones and I thought:  Great! this works very easy.

- 5 days later I am still waiting for a "return kit" to be able to return my old phones.

- Thus, I called customer service, who told me that there are issues at Rogers with the return kits. Then, she helped me to arrange the direct return of the two phones in a Roger's store.

- 5 minutes later after this conversation, I went to the Rogers store we agreed, and I returned the 2 phones. Then, I thought that the whole process was completed and it was "not that difficult".

- Later, I received my Rogers bill charging me the upfront cost for the 2 phones that I already returned and that I do not longer have.

- I called customer service AGAIN and they told me that someone in the warehouse has not scanned to devolution of the phones, and that is the reason why Rogers is charging me the upfront cost.

- According to this person, there is nothing he can do, until someone at the warehouse decides to scan the devolution?

- Now I have a nearly $2,000 bill that will be charged to my credit card because of the flaws of the program.

In summary: Rogers can give you a new phone in 2 days at the door of your home, but you have to fight weeks to return the old ones.

Is there anything more painful that doing business with Rogers?

Hello @fitness06967,

Thank you for taking the time to share the details of your situation with us. We're sorry to learn that the return of your devices, through the Upfront Edge program, hasn't been the most positive customer experience overall.

I understand you returned your phones in one of our store. May I ask whether the retail location agent provided you with a confirmation of sort? For example, have you received a transaction confirmation email, regarding the devices you left at the store you visited?

If you have not yet done so, I might recommend that you give the location in question a call, to validate what was done and the next steps to take to ensure you're credited promptly, if any.

If you're worried that the full amount gets withdrawn from your credit card, you may update your payment method to "Change to manual payments" through your MyRogers online profile, until this matter is resolved.

Please don't hesitate to let us know if you have questions!

RogersMaude

fitness06967
I plan to stick around
Thank you for your answer.

When I returned the two phones to the store, they gave me a receipt called Corporate UE Store Return, with the details of the phones and a return code.

I just called to the store where I returned the phones following your advice and the person I talked to, told me that I have to pay the value of the phones I returned and then it will take two to three months to get the credit of the phones.

The more I learn about this process, the more that I see that there is something really wrong with this program.

It does not make any sense at all, that Rogers can give you a new contract and new phones at the door of your home in just two days, but then it will charge the cost of the phones I already returned, and then it will take two to three months to return back the $1500 dollars that Rogers will charge me.

Good Day @fitness06967!

Yikes! I'm sorry to hear what transpired as it should be an exciting time upgrading to new devices and this is most certainly not the type of experience we want you to be having. 

The great thing about our Upfront Edge Program is that it helps to lower the monthly financing payments for your device and at the end of the term, provides you with the flexibility to to settle the Upfront Edge amount by either returning your phone or repaying your Upfront Edge amount to retain the device.

With that said, it really shouldn't take two to three months to confirm the return of the devices  on your account. When you connected with our Customer Care Department, did they happen to create a Wireless Track and Trace ticket for you to investigate the status of the returns?

Looking forward to hearing from you,

RogersJo 

I m in similar boat as you my contract ended 2 days ago and I explained the situation that i had and i was unable to return the phone in expected date which was contract date. 2 days later I called the customer service and explained why i was unable to return the phone. They said i can’t return the phone due to my contract expired 2 days ago, and later they transferred me to different line and had talk to them explaining why i was unable to return it she said go to the rogers at mall or store to return phone. At store they told me I can’t return it. Now i m stuck with the phone and have to pay 775 for the phone which i don’t want. This is a scam

Good Day @Hitukhatri21!

Congrats on your first post and thanks for contributing to this conversation! I'm sorry to hear about the experience you've had with regards to your device return as I understand unexpected situations do come up. 😥

In the event that you are opting to return the device to us, the return would have to occur within the last month of your existing term (month 24) or the Upfront Edge amount will be automatically charged to your  invoice.

If you are unable to return the device by the end of term, you will not have an option to return the device unless the return is part of a hardware upgrade within 60 days of your term expiry. I just have a few questions for you to try to get down to the bottom of this:

What channel did you complete the original hardware upgrade to your current device?

Are you looking to complete a hardware upgrade at this time along with the return of your current device?

If you are completeing a hardware upgrade within 60 days of the term expiry, the Upfront Edge amount will be reversed automatically. The credit for the Upfront Edge amount will appear on your next invoice.

Looking forward to hearing from you!

RogersJo

Topic Stats
  • 11 replies
  • 7 Likes
  • 10 in conversation