Required Personal Info?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Required Personal Info?

Hello,

I recently contacted Rogers Business to pay my bill and was offered a tablet for $5 a month. I accepted the offer and subsequently received an email stating I needed to provide certain personal info that Rogers has never asked for before - SIN number, driver's license number and expiry date.

I've had multiple devices with Rogers over the past several years I've had my account, but I've never been asked for that information. I don't necessarily feel comfortable giving out private info others can use to, say, apply for credit cards in my name or use my identity in other ways, unless they are either government or credit card companies or I'm giving permission to run a credit check.

Is this a new policy with Rogers?

***Edited Labels***

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Required Personal Info?

@awade1 wrote:

Hello,

I recently contacted Rogers Business to pay my bill and was offered a tablet for $5 a month. I accepted the offer and subsequently received an email stating I needed to provide certain personal info that Rogers has never asked for before - SIN number, driver's license number and expiry date.

I've had multiple devices with Rogers over the past several years I've had my account, but I've never been asked for that information. I don't necessarily feel comfortable giving out private info others can use to, say, apply for credit cards in my name or use my identity in other ways, unless they are either government or credit card companies or I'm giving permission to run a credit check.

Is this a new policy with Rogers?

***Edited Labels***

perhaps it sounds like the $5 per month tablet plan they offered you might possibly be a"residential/consumer" plan and since you have a business/small business plan, they probably can not add it to that plan so they probably might need to open a New line to do it for you. I do not know for sure since I do not work for them, but please get some clarity on this and make sure you find out for sure.  But it sounds like new lines require these kinds of ID to open the line and do the credit check so ya please confirm with them. This is also one of the reasons why I am always reluctant to sign up for every offer they throw at me, you need to read the fine print and ask a lot of questions and they often do not tell you the whole story.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@awade1 wrote:

...SIN number, driver's license number and expiry date.

It sounds to me like the e-mail may have come at a coincidental time and you are the subject of a Phishing expedition.  You should not provide your SIN to anyone outside the following list:

https://www.canada.ca/en/employment-social-development/programs/sin/protect.html

See also:

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Rogers-Community-Forums-Blog/Protecting-Yourself-From-Phishing...

I Plan to Stick Around

So thanks for the replies guys. I just found out the issue. Apparently, Rogers has a new credit fraud prevention system that requires more information than normal. I've been with Rogers for many years and now I'm told that adding new services/devices requires specific information that I'm not able to provide. I'm here on a work visa and currently working on permanent residency so apparently this new system is an issue for me.

This basically means that come time to upgrade and renew my service, I won't be able to?

They just lost 2 customers today because my wife and I are going through another provider. Rogers has been nothing but a giant headache from day one.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@awade1 wrote:
Rogers has a new credit fraud prevention system that requires more information than normal.

Even if that's the case, there should be no need to supply a SIN to anyone outside the list I provided earlier.  It's just not done.  A SIN is something very special that should only be provided to government, employer, financial institution, never to anyone via an unsecured e-mail or internet.

I Plan to Stick Around

Oh I'm aware of that, and was aware of it when I first saw the email requesting that info. I can confirm that it was in fact the same Rogers employee I spoke to over the phone as well. What's shocking to me is that the employee made the offer for a new device on a low monthly rate over the phone, and finalized everything and said the tablet would be shipped. I wish I could post screenshots on here as the email conversation was extremely rude and he literally just stated "yes we now require that info, your order has been canceled thanks".

To have service with a company for 6 years, pay them thousands upon thousands of dollars, and be treated with such disregard is unbelievable to me.

The matter is still unresolved as far as I'm concerned, which is forcing me to switch my business and my wife and I to another service provider.
Highlighted

Good evening @awade1,

Thank you for your posts and detailed account of what took place.

I understand how concerned you must have been when you saw the information that was asked from you in the email. It definitely should not have been requested that way. We apologize for the level of service received and any inconveniences this may have caused.

Depending on how your account was originally set up, we may be missing some identification on file, for an additional line activation. Normally, it should either be a driver's license or Social Insurance number. However, I would not have the ability to confirm how things took place until we gain access to your account.

We would not want you to change service provider as we do value your business and loyalty.

Did the situation with the tablet promotion prevent you from using yours and your wife's line?

For further assistance, please visit one of our retail locations or send us a Private Message @CommunityHelps so we can pull up your file and get started on this.

If you are not familiar with our Private Messaging system, click here.

Thanks!

RogersMaude

I'm a Senior Advisor

@awade1I would still be suspicious of this "Rogers employee" asking for such personal information only the CRA and your bank is normally entitled to, especially when an almost too good to be true deal is offered. These days the scammers can spoof genuine services with ease.

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario