cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Quebec Phone Number is not compatible with new Ontario Plan

gagatagaga
I've been around

I just switched providers from Fido to Rogers for wireless and I’m about to lose my phone number. The phone number has a Quebec area code and since I now live in Ontario I got an Ontario plan but I’m told I can’t port my old number from Fido to Rogers. I know of friends and family who have been able to keep their Quebec numbers when moving out of the province and they use Rogers as well. So I wonder why I can’t keep my number as well.

**Labels Added**

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Quebec Phone Number is not compatible with new Ontario Plan

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
Hello Gagatagaga,

Here is my personal opinion. Get a local ontario number. I know you prolly had that number for a while and cherish it but think about it this way. Your next door neighbour wants to call you but now has to pay Long Distance charges? Not cool. You go to a dry cleaner and when they try to call you to pick up your stuff they now have to incur long distance charges?? Does that make sense? Prolly not. The best thing is to get a local phone number in the city you reside in. It will make everybody happy. You could have ported the quebec fido number to a number forwarding service that way ur quebec friends still have it and signup rogers with a ontario number so ur plan will be correct.

Biollw
I'm a senior advisor
Who in this day and age pays long distance rates on a per call basis? Most plans include canada wide calling, even land lines, even rogers ignite phone.

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Lots of people pay for Long distance, just a FYI, there's other providers besides Rogers wireless in Ontario.

My very first cell plan had no long distance and had NO air time but it has long distance and air time NOW only because I requested to change plans., if people signed up long time ago under old plans and DONT CHANGE THEM, then guess what? they DONT get long distance automatically just because everyone else has it now.

So please do not assume everybody has it. even my grandparents had NO long distance plan up until the time they past away. We had to call them instead of them calling us which we were okay with

Topic Stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 Like
  • 3 in conversation