Pre-authorized payments taken before the due date is unjustified and not standard business

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Pre-authorized payments taken before the due date is unjustified and not standard business

This is an interesting issue... I have my Rogers set to pre-authorized payments via credit card, and it charges on my due date, not before.  Perhaps Rogers thinks inherently cc is "safer" in terms of likelihood of getting rejected (ie. "NSF" in bank accounts)?

While people should be able to choose how they pay their bills, not all service providers allow you to make pre-authorized payments via credit card like Rogers does (without any additional service charge). Personal finance issues aside (that may have people prefer not to use their credit cards), assuming no additional costs, I will ALWAYS use a credit card over direct pull from a bank account. It is much safer, better consumer protections, and if there are any disputes, you can always dispute the charge with your cc company (and while it's being resolved, you keep your money). With direct bank account pulls, could be many weeks before it's resolved and in that time, you don't have your cash. 

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

Re: Pre-authorized payments taken before the due date is unjustified and not standard business

You do realize that there is a charge to the payee for credit card transactions, so Rogers does take a slight hit. However, I suppose the reliability outweighs that. In the example by @RogersDarrell above, he cited the cc  payment being declined. This, I guess, could happen if the card had expired and the customer had not updated it on Rogers. But, yes, usually when I make web payments, I too prefer using the cc, such and with PayPal, where it defaults to instant bank withdrawal and I have to change to cc each time. Just an extra layer of protection in case of a dispute.

LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Yep, which is why it's not that common to see service providers allow pre-authorized cc without any additional charges to the customer. In those situations, all the more I'll 100% pay via cc (not to mention the whole cc points benefit).

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Hello @RogersDarrell

If a credit card payment or bank debit does not go through when it's due, customers should be charge an NSF fee and interest. That is normal business practice and it is in your Terms and Conditions. In fact, Rogers should remove a customer from pre-authorized payment when too many NSF occurs.

When I sign up for a service and chose a payment method, it is expected of me that the payment will be made by the due date. And if I don't pay by the agreed date, then I understand that there will be consequences - admin fees, interest fees and service disconnection if arrears are not paid. And even my own bank fees. I believe that you would refer to this as Rogers collection process for unpaid accounts.

I'm sorry for the customers that do not have the funds in their bank account or their credit card has no more room for a charge, but there are other ways to deal with these issues as I mentioned above.

This is why I am not buying in to your 3 attempts by due date explanation. Because of your process, I have to be 13 days ahead of the due date as you clearly stated.

I maintain that this practice is UNFAIR for customers with good payment history and want to use pre-authorized payments either credit card or bank debit.

Too bad because pre-authorized payment is the least costly type of payment to process for Rogers, but with these rules you are not encouraging people to sign up for pre-authorize payment.  Maybe I should go back to receiving paper bills by post mail and send you a cheque every month.

mp44

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Believe me, the reoccurring monthly payments outweighs the discount charge, otherwise it would not be a payment option offered by Rogers. The payment processing cost is very low compared to other forms of payments. I mean yourself being on pre-authorized bank debit is even better for Rogers.

But my point is that any payment regardless of how it's done, should go through on the first time. We are all responsible customers and we need to update the service providers when we change bank account or credit card. If not , then we should be charge an admin. or interest fee.

My whole point is that the payment is taken 13 days ahead of the due date because we chose to use pre-authorized payments.

mp44

Highlighted
I've Been Around

The real issue here is the huge interest they are making -and you are losing- off of your money.

The solution is to setup auto payments at your bank rather than use r(they don't deserve capitalization)ogers'  auto-payment system.  They ought to give you a discount for your opportunity cost or their investment gain, or be forced to hold the money in escrow sans gains.

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Yes, I have this same issue and cannot get any resolution from Rogers.

Highlighted
I've Been Around

Yes, it sucks and they are not even allowing to change the payment of method from pre authorised to manual.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I just noticed im affected by this too. My last bill came out on DEC 8, and they took the money out of my account DEC 9.  This does not seem normal? I barely have time to view/print/save the PDF file some times cus of my busy lifestyle and they take the money the next day?  wow hold your horses cowboy. whats up with that?

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

My cable billing date is the 15th of the month. It said the amount would be withdrawn on or after Jan 01,
2020 and I see it was withdrawn on Jan 02.

LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario