cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Potential Fraud

Usereman
I've been around

Hello,

I had received a letter in the mail with an offer for $49.99/mo for 500u ignite internet and thought, 'can't pass this up'. I called and got it all set up. It wasn't until hours AFTER I realized mistake: I gave up my SIN # and BIRTH CERTIFICATE NUMBER. I cannot express the amount of embarrassment I have currently. 

Could some one please provide some information on the following:

- What forms of iD verification does Rogers use for new users?

- Do new customers have their MyRogers account made for them by the phone agent or do they do it themselves? (It was not self-serve but a person I was talking to) .. In this case, I made my account with the account number given to me over the phone. While I am now here, I still want to verify the above..

Thank you for your time.

***Edited Labels***

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Potential Fraud

RogersZia

Good evening @Usereman,

Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums!

I can completely understand your concern about sharing personal information over the phone. Here's a list of ID's we may obtain in the absence of a Driver's License:

Provincial ID or Age of majority card

Passport

Birth Certificate

Proof of Citizenship

If none of the above information is available, we can ask for the following Provincial IDs:

Native Status Card

Senior Citizen Card

Military ID

Permanent Resident Card

Yes it is possible to call in to have a brand new account set up. For your peace of mind, we'd be happy to review your account and address any concerns you may have. Since the Community is a public platform I'd recommend you to reach out to us via PM @CommunityHelps for further assistance. Check out our blog post to learn more about our private messaging system. 

RogersZia

Vjf16
I've been here awhile

I believe I was also captured by a similar scam.  Does Rogers ever ask for the Social Insurance Number?  Can you please confirm that if we were asked for our Social Security Number, this was fraud.  

Vjf16
I've been here awhile

Are you also able to confirm if 1-855-759-5856 is a legitimate Rogers contact number?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Vjf16 wrote:

1. Does Rogers ever ask for the Social Insurance Number?  Can you please confirm that if we were asked for our Social Security Number, this was fraud.  

2. Are you also able to confirm if 1-855-759-5856 is a legitimate Rogers contact number?

1. The number of agencies that can ask for your SIN is very limited and Rogers is not one of them.  See link below:

https://www.canada.ca/en/employment-social-development/services/sin/protection.html

2. Doesn't matter if it's a legit number because scammers  can spoof any number they want.

Topic Stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 in conversation