Plan rate reduction when phone Subsidy is paid out

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Plan rate reduction when phone Subsidy is paid out

I'm curious, when you come to the end of your wireless phone subsidy period and you effectively now own your phone, do you get a reduction in your monthly rate plan as a result ?

I assume the standard plan rate includes the cost of the phone subsidy so shouldn't the plan be reduced by the cost of the subsidy once it's paid off ?

*Edited Labels*

Highlighted
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Re: Plan rate reduction when phone Subsidy is paid out

Hello @wpd1,

Thank you for your post.

This will all depend on your plan. 

Most users choose to upgrade the moment their old device is paid off. However, if your device is in working order, we can definitely see if there is another price option for your specific plan. 

Feel free to send us a PM to @CommunityHelps and we can help take a look.

RogersRoland

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

The plan does not automatically drop in price, etc (though it possibly SHOULD as you said)

But, at the time that your contract is complete and the device balanace is at zero, you can call in and ask to be put on the 'bring your own device' plans.
Now, only thing with that.. is that the current plans may not be the same as what you have currently.
The newer plans, as a whole, could be more, etc than what your currently on. (for the same features)

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

I have an issue with this.  While I admit, after a few years, I'm not paying attention to my bill as much as I should, however, taking money for no service is morally wrong, if not criminal.  There aren't many other jobs where that wouldn't get you in trouble.

The fact is that Rogers (and probably the other big ripoff communication companies) relies on most people not being so proactive and sit back and they count the profit. And when called on it, they have their legalese answer "We can't change your account without your permission". 

The moral thing to do would be to follow up at the end of the phone subsidy period and with an email saying "what would you like to do now?". 

Sure, they might sneak by any legal snaffles, but it doesn't make it right.  And denying to do anything at all besides saying "I'm sorry you feel that way" in the hope of preventing an unhappy client leaving just makes them more disgusting.

Highlighted
I've Been Around

Why is my bill still the same even though im done paying my phone for two years?

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@romanodizon wrote:

Why is my bill still the same even though im done paying my phone for two years?

Because under the very old pricing structure/model, everyone paid the same monthly fee regardless if they got a handset or not, the only thing different was you were locked into 2 or 3 year term. not just that but you got a high end or even low end handset, your monthly price stayed consistent.

They changed it up a bit afterwards so the cancellation fee was the cost of the hanset you chose but the monthly prices were "tiers" based on what handset you got so if you got a low end handset in that tier or high end, you rmonthly price would stay the same, becuase the financing was built into the monthly price.

Iif you paid your subsidy you would have to call to ask to change to a byod plan, and your monthly fee would be lower, but  if u ask to get a new handset again wanted to upgrade, you wouold have to convert your byod plan to a plan with handset subsidy, see where that would get confusing? and sometimes good plans become grandfathered are no longer available, your stuck with going on a higher priced one.

THe new model breaks apart the financing as a separate fee from hte byod plan price so you can keep your plan and if the subsidy (which is now called financing) is paid off that amount goes to 0, where the old plans both values were built into one price as per the billing system and there was no way of lowering it, and people need to do their own homework and decide whats price plan is best for them not the company.  so the notice is on the cusomers not the company

The new