cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pay Per Use Rates for U.S

tremelman
I've been here awhile

can somebody tell me where I can find the 'pay per use' rates while traveling in the US? I'm a Michigan/Ontario truckdriver and I want to ditch my roam like home.... $10/day is getting rediculous! 

**Labels Added**

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Pay Per Use Rates for U.S

RogersZia

Good morning @tremelman,

Welcome to the Community!

The pay per use rates while travelling in the U.S are $1.45/min for calls, 75¢/text and $7.99/50 MB for data. These are the rates for a postpaid plan.

If you're looking to find out the pay per use rates for prepaid plans or any other countries outside of Canada please check out this page, enter the desired country, and you will be able to view all the related pricing info. 

Just as an FYI, in order for the pay per use rates to kick in, you'd have to opt out of Roam Like Home. You can do so by getting in touch with customer service :).

RogersZia

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14

RogersZia

Good morning @tremelman,

Welcome to the Community!

The pay per use rates while travelling in the U.S are $1.45/min for calls, 75¢/text and $7.99/50 MB for data. These are the rates for a postpaid plan.

If you're looking to find out the pay per use rates for prepaid plans or any other countries outside of Canada please check out this page, enter the desired country, and you will be able to view all the related pricing info. 

Just as an FYI, in order for the pay per use rates to kick in, you'd have to opt out of Roam Like Home. You can do so by getting in touch with customer service :).

RogersZia

tremelman
I've been here awhile

Thanks. That's what I was looking for. I'm gonna assume that 'postpaid' is a charge added to my monthly bill?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Postpaid is the type of plan, which most people have, where you pay for what you used in the previous month.  Some people have a Pre-paid (Pay as you go) plan where you prepay for your monthly use.

For rates for various countries, use the following link, scroll down to the map, and click on the country. You are then presented with Roam/Post Paid/Pre-paid options in a pop-up.

https://www.rogers.com/consumer/wireless/travel

For Prepaid Plans, use the following link:

https://www.rogers.com/web/content/wireless-products/plans?cm_sp=wireless-_-pay_as_you_go-_-plans_ba...

You can then click on the various plans or add-ons.

RayZte
I'm here a lot

Hi, 

I have a Prepaid annual "Pay as you go" plan (for Canada, of course). BUT, there is no-where to find the rates I will pay if I go to the USA without taking any other plan, action or set-up. 

Could someone answer the question for the "Rates" I could expect to pay as soon as I cross the border?

Thank you. 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

According to Rogers, PAYGo phones will no longer work in the US. See the following thread and links on the topic:

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Pay-as-You-Go/Rogers-PAYGo-Customers-Cannot-Use-Their-Phones-I...

Last time I was in the US a couple of months ago and earlier this month, I was able to connect to AT&T (at least it showed on my PAYGo phone).  However, I didn't try to make any calls.  IIRC, PAYGo calls in the US were $2/minute a couple of years ago.

In the link I provided in the post above yours, it shows various add-ons and rates for PAYGo, but I don't know if they are valid any more:

https://www.rogers.com/plans/prepaid#,Tabset1--1

You may wish to talk to a PAYGo CSR as outlined in the following link, or you may simply wish to give things a try:

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Pay-as-You-Go/Pay-as-you-go-improper-data-charges/m-p/440166/h...

PS. You should have received at least two texts on this topic from Rogers earlier this year around February and again in June. 

In summary, you should be prepared for your PAYGo phone not to work in the US.  If it does, then I'd be prepared for rates of around $2 per minute.

RayZte
I'm here a lot

Thank you 57 ! Very appreciated. 

Clearest answer I've had up to now, even though I'm still in the dark a bit. 

I'm going to give the phone a try when I arrive in the US to see what happens. 

I was also wondering if I'd get roaming charges on my regular PayGo Prepaid. I'll then find out and post my results here. 

Not a single rep' in many Rogers Stores were able to answer my question. They just said to remove the SIM card. Not the answer I wanted.

Thanks again. 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Yes, removing the SIM should allow you to make a 911 call if there were an emergency, just like in Canada when Rogers was down in July. At least the reps knew that. A lot of people do not.

Please do advise how you make out.  The only people who definitively know anything about PAYGo are the CSRs who answer calls in the link I provided for PAYGo.

I really should have tried my phone in September or earlier this month when I was in the US, but I just forgot.

RayZte
I'm here a lot

So, I did what 57 recommended. I called CSRs who answer calls in the link you provided for PAYGo.

Got to speak with the rep',and here is the answer Mike, the rep' gave me. 

Pay as you go does NOT work in the USA at all. The 3G antennas on which PayGo seems to work have been either removed or are non functional. 

So, there would be no roaming charges or ability to make or receive calls and so-on. I could therefore simply leave the SIM card in the phone as is and resume usage when I return to Canada. 

If I do want to use the phone, I must get a plan for the USA (roaming) or buy a prepaid card at destination (with other phone number, I guess). 

So I have my answers. Thanks to Mike and 57.

Thank you all. 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Thanks for that update. The fact that 3G is gone doesn't have to affect any of the newer phones (and by newer I mean in the past 10 years or so).  If your phone doesn't work it's because of a business decision made by Rogers (and their affiliates in the US) regarding LTE because LTE is still working fine.  This was discussed in the thread link that I previously provided and is provided again below:

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Pay-as-You-Go/Rogers-PAYGo-Customers-Cannot-Use-Their-Phones-I...

Other PrePaid Service providers still provide service for their PrePaid customers on LTE in the US.  It's even possible that in the future Rogers will provide LTE to PAYGo (PrePaid) customers if they negotiate a deal with their affiliates like AT&T.

It will be interesting to hear back from you to see if your phone does, or does not work and what charges there are.

RayZte
I'm here a lot

Back soon with results on what happened at destination.😎 

This should be interesting. 

RayZte
I'm here a lot

So here is my update on my situation about Usage and Roaming charges in the U.S with my Pay Per Use Plan :

-My iPhone has a cell service here (in Florida), but with another supplier of course. T-Mob'.  All good. 

-I have not gotten any roaming charges up to now (2+ weeks here now).

-But, I have not made or answered any calls, even though I did get an incoming call (I did not answer) and I did try to make a test call which went through to Canada (no answer at the other end, which is what I wanted). 

-So leaving the SIM card in the iPhone does make it possible to use emergency services (911, etc.) or maybe simply use the phone if needed. 

-I do not know, therefore what the roaming charges would be, but I have received 2 text messages from Roger's to call and find out about roaming charges. They give me a 514-xxx-xxxx number to call. 

-I won't be using the iPhone because I use Skype on Wifi instead here and Free text message Apps. So, I'm fine. 

-Still, it's good to know I can simply leave the SIM card in and use the iPhone for emergencies. 

I hope this sums it up. 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Thank you for that feedback. Good to hear.

BCGal
I've been here awhile

I am unable to find the pay-per-use rates for Australia anywhere on the site.  Can you provide these rates please?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@BCGal The link was provided earlier in this thread, but I'll give it again below:

https://www.rogers.com/mobility/roaming

You type the country into the destination box and it gives you the rates in the screenshot below ($3/min post paid)

You do have some other options including:

- Purchasing a SIM once you arrive in the country you're visiting;  I believe this requires a different phone number.

- Purchasing an eSIM online if your phone allows.

- Use What's App or similar and text.

- Minimize the days you roam by leaving the phone on airplane mode the other days to preclude any charges.

PPUPPU

Topic Stats
  • 14 replies
  • 8 Likes
  • 5 in conversation