On-contract device pricing

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: On-contract device pricing

@Meowmix is absolutely right, however, this brings up an interesting related point which I've actually been wondering myself.

So the Flextab is the amount of the subsidy you get, which is amortized over the life of the 2yr contract (24 months). The "tab" that's part of your plan (ie. "Premium Tab", let's say $20/month more than "No Tab / BYOD") is completely separate (though related in that the reason you have to pay the Premium Tab is in order to get the subsidy).

Once your Flextab runs down to 0 (typically 2 years), and assuming you just want to keep your phone (ie. you don't then upgrade to a new iPhone and get a new subsidy and new contract and thus go on the Premium or Premium+ tab again), I recall a Rogers rep telling me that I could then call and change my plan to be "No Tab / BYOD", which in theory, would save me $20/month (ie. difference between "Premium Tab" and "No Tab / BYOD").

A few complicating items:

- My Share Everything+ Plan is now more expensive today (then it was 2 years ago). Does dropping from "Premium Tab" -> "No Tab / BYOD" constitute "changing plans", and thus, I have to be put on the latest Share Everything+ Plan pricing? Or do I get to stay on my old plan price?

- The pricing difference between the "Premium Tab" and "No Tab / BYOD" is now $10/month today, as there's a new "Premium+ Tab" which is I presume for the newest / greatest phones (assume iPhone 7 coming out in Sep will require a Premium+ Tab to get subsidized). I assume I would get whatever the "No Tab / BYOD" plan price was for my current plan (assuming answer to first point above is that I can stay on my old plan price), but maybe not...

If anyone knows or has experienced this, definitely welcome their thoughts. If not, I'll ask Rogers once my FlexTab is down to 0 next month and will post what their response is. This is applicable to me this year as my wife has the iPhone 6 Plus (ie. purchased on subsidy 2 years ago), and is planning to keep her phone until the 2017 iPhone (ie. 10th anniversary iPhone) rather than upgrade this Sep to the new iPhone 7 (which rumors say will be a smaller "tick" upgrade to the iPhone 6S).

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Unfortunately, no.

While yes, once you have no tab left, you can switch over to a BYOD plan.. its not the BYOD equivelent of your existing plan..
You would have to choose one of the in market current BOYD ones.

(which if there was a price increase between then.. may not be as much of a savings as before 😞

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

@Gdkitty wrote:

Unfortunately, no.

While yes, once you have no tab left, you can switch over to a BYOD plan.. its not the BYOD equivelent of your existing plan..
You would have to choose one of the in market current BOYD ones.

(which if there was a price increase between then.. may not be as much of a savings as before 😞

Ah I see... and yes, you're right, because of the price increase between then and now, there is actually no savings in switching to No Tab / BYOD (on current in-market pricing) from my older Premium tab plan.

I guess just another reason why if you can afford the cash liquidity hit, it may be better to buy the phone outright and go on a BYOD tab from the beginning... Thanks