New Data Top Up Process

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Here Awhile

Re: New Data Top Up Process

Thanks ddeacon22.

I'm a Senior Advisor

Options have changed once again since last month.

New choices.
A 10.00 for 300mb.recurring.no one time option now.

B. 20.00 for 1.5 GB. Recurring

C. 30.00 for 3 GB recurring

Send cancel to 222 to cancel recurring top up.

Opt out stops warming message not opt out of top up plan. Guess with no warning you risk overages.

So is this the end of changes for a while. This is the third since start of this thread. Each with less choices and higher pricing

Good thing we don't ever go over our 500.cross my fingers.

Bruce

Minor edits on typos and last comment.
I've Been Around

Please let me add my voice to this obvious money grab. I expected the wording "Data Top up" to be a one time, non recurring event. Even your text messages do not say anything about recurring charges. If I wanted to add data on a monthly basis - I would look at a new plan and not take your recurring, expensive option.  Who would have guessed that I would have needed to take the data top up and then immediately cancel the data top up so that it would not become a recurring event. 

Rogers - you really need to make data top up exactly that - a one time, non recurring event. Otherwise rename it so that it is obvious that this will become a recurring charge. 

I'm a Senior Advisor

@DJD01  I concur with your own view towards the new method of "topups" of data.

Here is the FAQ from the website -

"

Data top-ups are supplemental data purchases that recur on a monthly basis. They allow you to add extra data on top of your usual data amount. They’re available to eligible postpaid wireless customers. Just text the word DATA to 222 and we’ll either text you top-up options or let you know if you’re not eligible. The data will be added to your account immediately, and will stay on your account every month until you choose to cancel. If you’re a part of a shared group, the data will be shared among all the members of your share group.

Keep in mind, one-time top-ups are not available for purchase anymore. Data top-ups now recur on a monthly basis.

I agree that the whole phrase of data tops needs to be dropped given the new method - it is just confusing - consider that they changed the way the top ups worked I think 4 times in a year, and even a month before the final description, they had it worded and operating differently as they worked out how they would handle the CRTC wireless code requirements around data overage, and how to obtain permission from the customer to go over the max of 50 Canadian data overage, or 100 when roaming.

This is best described as a data add-on to your existing available data.

Why I say this is that when you activate it, it is available the day you do it, but when you see it on your bill, it describes the data as a top up from the start of that billing term to the end of the billing term, and then it recurs until you send Cancel - my understanding is that cancels all add-ons (top-ups) added in that month.

In the FAQ's, you also see the following:

The top-up may not appear under your add-ons on the first or last day of your bill cycle. However, usage information will be updated and include the data top-up and will be reflected on your next bill.

So, they put it under your add-ons, described as a top-up of data and the amount of top ups, and multiple ones if you happened to multiple ones that previous month.

So just call it a data add-on for the whole month, with no pro ration of the price to reflect you didn't get the data for a whole month as shown on the bill, and if you forget to cancel before the end of the term, cancellation will apply to the next bill.

So, in summary, for my own clarification - when our one phone gets close to its max data 500Mb and provides options for adding more data for the rest of the month -notice I did not call it a top up - I view it as adding on data until I cancel it, it is not a top up as we have always known one to be and the use of the old terms is just confusing.

You can add on up to 9 times in a month, but although unmentioned in the FAQ, be aware, if you did, you would have 9 add-ons on your next bill as with the description above (at least that is the way it seems),

So in my case, we add the extra data, then send the cancel message immediately, so we don't forget and get billed by accident, which for every person who doesn't fully understand this change and since it changed so many times in a year, was poorly worded the second last time as to cancel versus opt-out (out-out opted out of messages - why would anyone do that I am not sure), then the most recent change as per the FAQ page and the email you receive.

Some one made a comment about reading the emails closely - I have a bone to pick with that statement - I have limited vision - it is on my profile, so I would call in and have them explain if I haven't had experience before.  When the change occurred, it took me 5 phone calls to fully grasp it (I have a cognitive disability and I have difficulty with written information at times), and I still called in, as I mentioned in another similiar thread, and double checked that it was cancelled - I really have little trust in Rogers automated systems, in particular when new changes come.

I will acknowledge that Rogers has become better in its communication of changes, but they are often not worded well to reflect the reality that words that are in common usage mean something to the consumer and just changing how it is defined is very confusing - for me anyway.  Smiley Happy

Bruce

I've Been Here Awhile

Hi Shaun, my wife and I (we share a phone plan) were travelling in August and needed to top up our data plan. I did 3x texts to 222 at $30ea for 3gigs each. This worked fine. My account rolls on the 25th, so I set a reminder on the 25th to cancel this data add for my next billing cycle. Do I have to text 3x or will just one "cancel" text take care of all three? Thx
I've Been Here Awhile

Common sense would dictate just once... however I would do once then call and confirm
I'm a Senior Advisor

My experience is first you can send cancel as soon as you add it and not worry about remembering. It does not cancel the data you already added on it cancels the recurring add on at start of the new billing cycle. (26th in your case). You don't have to wait until the 25th.

Haven't done the multiple requests. (I refuse to call it a top up). I was told on three times I enquired on phone and in writing and here only one text of cancel is required to cancel all. But I would still check or you can wait for the bill. Keep you texts for the add on and cancel of the recurring payment and continued add on.

Let us know your experience.

This is one of the more confusing changes I have seen Rogers put us through with contracting and confusing communication.

Bruce
I've Been Here Awhile

Thx Bruce!

I've Been Around

I was told by a Rogers employee to add extra data when I went on a trip. I did so, and texted CANCEL to 222. I didn’t quite understand that I could cancel it right away and ended up incurring another month of top up charges. My fault for not doing more investigation. However, I did cancel it at the start of the last cycle and got confirmation of this. I thought everything was great but I just started a new cycle and my extra data is still there! I texted CANCEL to 222 and it says I don’t currently have any recurring top ups. 

Retired Moderator RogersAli
Retired Moderator

Hey @Kaymac74

Welcome to the community Smiley Happy

Data top-ups are very convenient when they work as they are supposed to, I know I have used them a lot. I completely understand your concern, no one likes to see unexpected charges on their bill.

We'll need to pull up your account information in order to investigate this fully and get this sorted out for you.

Please send us a Private Message to @CommunityHelps so we can get started on this. 

If you are not familiar with our Private Messaging system please CLICK HERE.

We look forward to hearing from you!

RogersAli