New Data Top Up Process

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Around

Re: New Data Top Up Process

Don't forget to double confirm that you want to cancel....what a joke..

I've Been Around

It's a great feature just like 3 year plans were great features, right?? Customers "voted" with their wallets for that one.......oh wait, they didn't really have a choice.

Data top ups used to be non-recurring, but why make it non-recurring, when you can make it recurring. Just means more money for Rogers, and less for you, especially when you're used to non-recurring data top ups, the money just keeps getting taken out of your account! It's Win, Win for Rogers!

Remember the days when data over usage charges weren't capped?? What a shame those days are gone...too bad.. but hey, Rogers now has data top ups that are recurring! Another innovative feature to allow Rogers to continue to do what they do best - gouge clients!!!

But hey folks, lets talk dollars and cents to ensure Rogers coffers remain stuffed. Misleading customers and gouging is what Telus, Rogers, and Bell do best, and if you don't like Rogers, don't worry Rogers doesn't mind letting their friends over at Telus and Bell have their turn.  I mean, what other options do you have?

Hello @MikeWMacDonald,

Welcome to the Rogers Community and thank you for your post!

I understand that seeing an unexpected charge on your invoice can be an unpleasant surprise, especially if you were convinced the data top-up was cancelled.

Data top-ups are supplemental data purchases that last until the end of your current billing period. You can choose either one-time top-ups or recurring monthly top-ups. The data will be added to your account immediately.

During each billing cycle, you can add the following number of top-ups:

• 7 one-time top-ups (when you text DATA to 222)
  • 3 recurring monthly top-ups (when you text MONTHLY to 222)

That means you can add a total of 10 data top-ups during a billing cycle.

If you're on a Share Everything plan, keep in mind that you can manage your data worry-free through MyRogers.

I understand your frustration but we want you to know that we value you as our customer and appreciate your business. We'd be sad to see you change service provider because of the issue with your data top-up.

Hope this helps!

RogersMaude

I've Been Around

Gets worse than that. If you added 1 gb the 1 gb again, reason doesn't matter. Next month you are billed 2 1gb at 2x15 and not 1 2gb at 25. If they are assuming I'm going to need an additional 2gb why add two singles vs 1 double
God forbid you added 300mb, then needed more, 1 gb and finally more again 1 gb. You would be charge $40 for 2.3gb where 3gb costs $30
I'm a Senior Advisor

This is getting all very confusing - and I think this is the point - when they changed the model from a few more one time options, to only the 300 Mb, this then placed the onus us to concentrate closely and try to predict the future to get the best deal - in our case, we only have 500Mb on one phone.  We never use much more than 300 and that is rare - if we did approach 500, it would probably be due to an emergency situation, and for me to stay safe, I would be thinking, is the emergency over, then ok, I just turn off data for rest of month, or maybe the one time 300.

If in the description above in the last post, that if I add one recurring, if I then add another 1 recurring, am I going to get billed for two?

Also please clarify, can I cancel a recurring right after I turn it on (e.g., I send text to get the 1 GB recurring, and then immeidately send cancel - would I still get the 1 GB to the end of the period, and then it doesn't recur?  - or when I cancel, does the 1 GB end right then?

Really not clear how this all works - but I think that is the intent - by building in recurring, Rogers has based set in a negative billing option on anything over 1 GB (not legal on Cable, maybe should be pushed to Ontario government as another form of negative billing - that is how we got the current laws on no negative billing on Cable products - the public banded together and the government changed it) - Done under Ontario consumer laws, not always do we have to go the CCTC route.

Example - if I choose a 1 GB add-on, it will be recurring and I can cancel the recurring by sending text Cancel.

Do I still have my 1 GB to use for rest of period to the next billing period, and an extra a GB will not be added.

And if I do 1 GB and then have to do a second one, will I be charged for 2 recurring 1GB on the next bill and now have 2 GB of data - if I do two, do I cancel twice, or does the single cancel kill the recurring for both?

Need more clarity.

As a final note, I think it is not an issue that the basic information on what is recurring, what is not, how to do it, it is the fact that this group of posters do not like the idea of being forced to manage not only their data use, but also to cancel recurring data, and now this next question.

Some of us just want a fairly priced one time only, but Rogers has decided to not offer it.

Bruce

I'm a Senior Advisor

Also, please note there is a contradiction in this FAQ entitled

https://www.rogers.com/customer/support/article/wireless-data-top-ups

What you need to know about data top-ups
Should I buy more data or change my price plan?

Data top-ups are supplemental data purchases that recur on a monthly basis. They allow you to add extra data on top of your usual data amount. They’re available to eligible postpaid wireless customers. Just text the word DATA to 222 and we’ll either text you top-up options or let you know if you’re not eligible. The data will be added to your account immediately, and will stay on your account every month until you choose to cancel. If you’re a part of a shared group, the data will be shared among all the members of your share group.

Keep in mind, one-time top-ups are not available for purchase anymore. Data top-ups now recur on a monthly basis

I just checked by sending text to 222 and it gave me the options as described earlier of the 300 Mb one time for 10,

Recurring !GB 15.00, 2 GB 20,00 3 GB 30.00 and then you can send Cancel as described to cancel

In the FAQ it says,

You can cancel your recurring monthly data top-up at any time by texting the word CANCEL to 222 or by calling us at 1-877-559-5202.

I bolded recurring, so that I think answers the question that my top up will run to the end of the current billing period, then will not recur - (I think, need definitive feedback on that question),

But that does not address if you did two recurring - in an unexpected emergency, that can happen - my wife had a car fail, used data still stayed under her limit, then when our daughter picked them up from repair shop, they hit a deer - fortunately, my daughter has lots of data on her american plan, as does her husband (not shared by the way), so my wife never had to do data top ups, but imagine if she had gone to a rental car, I could easily have seen her going into needing a data top up in the first instance (she didn't have to because she was on roam like home and called my daughter as part of that feature, and they came and got them - fortunately, all at end of the trip there.  My daugher did all the data work, my wife did not have to.

We find all sorts of creative ways to avoid data - and our daughter is only a hone call away and she can do the data work and we don't have to pay for it.

But back to the scenario - easily could have seen someone end up having to do two top ups - who cold have predicted that they would have a car fail,  call a tow truck, find a repair place, rent a car, then hit a deer.

So clarify - do you have to cancel both top ups??

And how would one do that??

Plus, the contradiction for top ups reported here versus the FAQ - need clarification there too.

We have never used a top up, so is all theoretical at this point, but want to understand if the situation does arise.

Bruce

Bruce

Hello @BS,

Thanks for sharing the most recent information pertinent to data top-ups.

As you probably noticed, the page in question was updated yesterday to reflect the latest changes that took place. If you scroll all the way down, you will see "Last updated: May 7, 2018".

To answer your original question, a data top-up can be added for a month, depending on your needs.

It's valid for the billing cycle during which it is added and you can request the cancellation of the renewal right away to prevent recurring charges.

Hope this helps!

RogersMaude

I'm a Senior Advisor

Thank you for the update - my wife did get a text message today of the change and she asked me to clarify.

I was able to do so based upon communications here.

There is one item in the text message that I wasn't sure of - at the bottom of the text message, it gives the option to OPT-OUT of the top plan.

Would you be able to call in and get a top up, or would you have no availability on your top plan from the point on.

Not sure the purpose of even offering an opt out of the top ups - if you can't get back in, it would mean you would have to deal with overages in an emergency, or change your plan because of a one time need for more data.

Thanks I appreciate the update - I am a man who deals with anxiety as best I can, and sometimes when I get confused, I get a little over active in asking for clarifications.  Just me and my illness.  I have been in a tough stretch lately and the whole stuff over the privacy issues wore me out.

Thanks for the support and clarifications.

Bruce

Highlighted
I've Been Around

CANCEL message to 222
I'm a Senior Advisor

Got clarification on the implication of OPT-out option that is in the text that comes about Top Ups.

So, I am told there are some who don't want to be part of a top up program - wonder if it was they got tired of the message when you reached 75% (we have had a couple on our huge 500MB available on one phone), it just reminds us to cut back - never ever used a top up yet)

But be aware that if you OPT-OUT, you will not have availability to the TOP UP method of texting and making your choice of what level you want, recurring, or non-recurring on the 300Mb,you have completely opted out of that service feature - didn't ask what you could do to get more data - do you call in, do you change your plan, but at a minimum you would pay overages.

Kind of defeats the whole benefit of the arguement for the top up option - you can get a cheaper extra data than paying full overage charges.  Makes no sense to me why you want to opt out, but they say people wanted ti opt out of it,.

So they are happy to satisfy those who want to opt out of a way to save money, but if you want to opt out of Roam like home, you get treated like you need your head examined (I already have it examined once a month and it is fine and logical, just slightly messed up from PTSD,  but I can still do math and figure out the best ways to save money).

But you have to call in for that OPT OUT, you can opt in if you have opted out on Roam like home by texting or going on line and opt in, but to opt out of what is turned on for everyone who qualifies, you have to call in and spefically state that you want to "opt out" of Roam like home, then they have to figure out how to do it, or ask you to explain, because why would you ever want to opt out of such a wonderful value added feature - so my wife has it because she goes to the states now and then, an only used it twice due to a car failure in all her trips, and I don't travel, so I don't need it, and if I do, it will be with her and we will use one phone to do it, not two.  Plus you can opt in anytime.

So think long and hard about opting out, I would call in first and confirm what your options are if you do opt out - change plans, can you opt back in, etc.

Each time Rogers changes something on a plan, they create more questions. this is the second change in the top up plan, and people are still upset about the only non-recurring top-up being 300Mb, then the FAQ now says " Keep in mind, one-time top-ups are not available for purchase anymore. Data top-ups now recur on a monthly basis.", but I guess since we are on a current plan that still allows for the 300Mb non-recurring that the FAQ applies to new in market plans - guess ours is a grandfathered plan now.

So, one more confusion created - this last chat took 20 minutes to get clarity, the call of yesterday to clarify cancel and so forth took half an hour.  So minor change they may think, the reps had to search,, then try to understand, and got confused by old plan versus new plans.

At least I know that if they go with only recurring, you just send cancel as your next text.

Wonder when they drop the 300Mb?  This is like the legacy TV and getting us on home plans, and prepaid phone plans, they have been doing their best to "encourage" us to get on the in market plans by changing terms, increasing costs, removing features, - this one I see is anything we can do to get us onto share everything, which with two people in a home and we don't use data - why would we?

But at least there is some more clarity - another 50 minutes for someone else waiting to deal with something about their services, while they figure out how to communicate this change.

Bruce

Bruce

Coming on PPV!
Real Madrid vs. Atlético (Athletic) Bilbao Live
LIVE: Saturday April 21, 2019 10AM ET
Countdown: 8:00 PM ET
Channels: 348 (HD) | 350 (SD) | Ignite TV 499 | 391 (beIN English) 392 (beIN Spanish)
Price: $5.99 (HD) | $5.99 (SD) | Ignite TV $5.99 | (beIN subscription $14.99/mo.)
Ignite TV & DTV customers can order now!

Real Madrid faces Athletic Bilbao in a regular la liga league soccer match. Subscribe to beIN Sports for $14.99/mo. to get the game and more La Liga and international Sporting events.

Crawford vs. Khan Live
LIVE: Saturday April 20, 2019 9PM ET
Countdown: 8:00 PM ET
Channels: 348 (HD) | 350 (SD) | Ignite TV 499
Price: $79.99 (HD) | $74.99 (SD) | Ignite TV $79.99
Ignite TV & DTV customers can order now!

Undefeated virtuoso Terence "Bud" Crawford (34-0, 25 KOs) will defend his welterweight world title against British boxing royalty Amir "King" Khan (33-4, 20 KOs) in a collision of superstars.

Topic Stats