New Data Top Up Process

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm Here A Lot

New Data Top Up Process

I just wanted to voice my dislike of the new data top up process put in place this month.

While I do appreciate the fact that some people will want to have an automatic top up just occur on a monthly basis, I don't as I like to be in control in exactly how much data gets added at a time. If your pricing wasn't tiered and was just constant per MB/GB it wouldn't be an issue, but you charge less per MB for bigger chunks of data.

My gripe is since you've instituted the ability to add data automatically this month, you've taken away the ability to just do a one-time data add for anything but 300MB at a time. I thus had to add 1GB recurring then cancel the recurring. It is a pain in the butt. Please add the ability back to just do a one-time data add of the various tiers.

Thanks.

***Edited Labels***

Re: New Data Top Up Process

Hello @ddeacon22,

Welcome to the Community Forums, and thanks for your post.

Monthly Data Top-Ups let customers purchase recurring data buckets to add extra data to their monthly plan’s data limit, it’s a great feature to ensure there are no overages on the account. However, you do have the option to cancel the recurring charge. Simply text the word CANCEL to 222.

Just as an FYI, only the Family Data Manager on your account can cancel a Monthly Data Top-up. If your account does not have an assigned Data Manager, only the main line on the account can cancel the Monthly Data Top-up. The changes will take effect on the first day of your new billing cycle. You will still have access to the data usage during your current billing cycle. 

I hope this helps!

RogersShaun

I'm Here A Lot

Yes I understand how the process works. I’m just expressing that you’ve changed the way it works this month and only allow a one time add of 300MB (where you used to also offer one time 1 GB) and you added recurring 1 and 2 GB options.

So for instance if I was about to go over my data and I had a week in my billing period left, I would add 1GB but if only a couple of days were left I could add 300MB and save money. I no longer have that option as only the 300 MB amount is available, not the 1 GB. With recurring, it would automatically add 1 or 2 GB even if I only had a day left in my billing period. Since data doesn’t roll over, I would be wasting money. This is what is annoying about this new top up process.

Thanks
Highlighted

Hello @ddeacon22,

What options are you getting when you text DATA to 222? You should be able to receive more than one option as part of our One-time Data Top-up.

RogersZia

I'm Here A Lot

No, the only one time option now available is 300 MB. All the others are recurring. Here is exactly what I get:

Rogers Msg: Add extra data before you go over your monthly data limit:

For recurring Monthly Top-Ups:
Reply "A" to add 1GB for $15/month
Reply "B" to add 2GB for $20/month
Reply "C" to add 3GB for $30/month

For this bill cycle only:
Reply "1" to add 300MB for $10

To remove a recurring Monthly Data Top-Up at any time, reply "CANCEL". To opt-out of the data top-up program, reply "OPTOUT".

I'm a Senior Advisor

I have read closely the discussion and can see the marketing change by Rogers on top ups - no rationalle provided on whose benefit this is and how it benefits the customer.

The major change I see and I agree is the limited amount of one time topups (300 only), and then the three larger top-up choices.

It makes more work for us, in that we now need to remember to cancel the top up if we don't feel we need it.

I think my approach would be, choose the most appropriate, cost effective choice, me personally I would go low - you can add more if needed at least in the old FAQ's it says it, but my aim is htat I would do it only once, and then I turn my data off - An emergency, sure I will add if need be.

If I need the GB, then I will activate it "recurring" as there is no choice, but practically, I am going to immediately cancel it at the end of the cycle, basically making it one time only.

It has just created extra steps for us, and also the chance of making extra money on us if we accidently forget we turned it on to recurring - in particular, those people who were already using the old model - people make mistakes when new things come along, leading to customer concern issues and frustrations until we learn.

So I would in effect turn on hwat I need, and immediately, at new period, cancel.  You can do this write in the MyRogers app for people who have individual data plans - it creates the plan choice and cancel text templates for you.  If paranoid the ifrst time, call in and make sure.

Just one more change, seems for the sake of change, but maybe the usage data suggested the change - we don't know, they just tell us they change it, then post the new change with no explanation, except somtimes we are always improviing our services and rate structurs.

Bruce

Bruce

I'm Here A Lot

An thus my request to please add the ability back to just do a one-time data add of the various tiers.

Im not sure why Rogers cannot give both one time and recurring options and just let customers decide how they want to handle it.

By the way I would usually do all the tops through the MyRogers app which suffers from the same lack of options.
I'm Here A Lot

I want to add to this as another problem with this process. My billing period recently reset and the new process actually adds the data AT THE START OF THE BILLING PERIOD. This is totally misleading. I thought it would add the top up automatically if you went over but no, I just got a warning that an additional $15 charge was put on my account this billing period and 1GB added even though I still had 5GB left. I cannot believe Rogers is trying to get away with this.

I'm Here A Lot

Just noticed this today. what an absolute joke this is. 

So we can spend $10 on a piddly 300mb or forced to do recurring at a more reasonable 1GB for $15. 

Its absolute robbery and im so done with Rogers after my contract is up in a couple of months. 

I'm Here A Lot

Agreed. I raised a complaint with the Rogers Office of the President which went nowhere so I raised a complaint with the CCTS based on the fact that there is not clear language available as to how the data top up process works regarding on pre-billing for data. If that bothers you as well, you can also raise a complaint. The feedback I got from Rogers after raising the CCTS complaint was I was the only person that has complained about this.

I won't post the URL but search for Commission for Complaints for Telecom-television Services Canada and you can open a complaint online.