Most HORRIBLE customer service EVER

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm Here A Lot

Most HORRIBLE customer service EVER

I'm switching Teksavvy because I am tired of dealing with Roger’s customer service. What is the root cause of my change of heart? Bad customer service. Plain and simple. It's not about any one thing but a series of problems and at every step of the way I was made to feel like it was my fault...instead of, you know, help me trouble shoot the problem? You might want to read this too if you are Rogers’ management.

Problem 1. Phantom Usage.

I noticed an overusage charge on my internet bill. Yes I watch some TV online but based on my  billed usage, I would need more than 24hrs a day to go to work, eat, sleep and watch tv. I called to ask why. All I got was... maybe someone else was using it, or I've been hacked, or I have increased my usage.  There was no help in trouble shooting this problem I was made to feel like an idiot. I hung up

I thought about it and called back... maybe someone else can help me. Nope, still the same excuses. But this time they told me to prove that I did not actually use that much.  What?? Are you serious? You screwed up and you want me to prove you screwed up?

I decided to unplug my modem. That way absolutely no one can use it. It stayed unplugged for 24hrs. Guess what…. after 24 hours, I connected my modem back and checked my usage. And lo and behold there WAS activity on my account. So that’s my proof.  Maybe now I will get a reversal in my charges.

Problem 2. Wont Admit Wrong Charge But Will Uprgrade So I Wont Leave.

I called back to ask for the overusage on my last bill to be reversed since now I have proof. No can do. Why? Because they cant prove that that particular bill had actual usage or not. So no one admitted that my bill had the wrong charge so I have to pay the overusage.  But the customer service rep said that I could be forwarded to the manager for some help.  By this time I'm beyond frustrated and all I wanted was to leave Rogers. So to keep me as a customer the manager obliged to give me an upgrade and a discount. It essentially kept my lower billing rate but got extra GBs. So I decided to stay with Rogers.  However the manager warned me that I have to renegotiate by January or I will lose this discount. OK fine I'll make sure to call back.

Problem 3. The Call Back.

FF to today... My contract will be expiring on Jan 13. I decided to call to make sure I get to keep the same rate next year. And if I don’t like it I can give 30 days' notice well before Dec 13 and save myself a month on full charge. After being transferred some 3 times I got a "manager" that could help me. He said his name is "Mikeal from customer service". Everything went south from here. He is the most condescending person in the history of customer service.

I told him I wanted the same rate in Jan but if I can’t get it I will leave for Teksavvy.  He told me in the most patronizing way that I'm making a mistake. First, I am stupid to go to Teksavvy because they charge a lot upfront and he proceeded to tell me all about the rates and fees of another company. All I wanted to know was how much do I pay for Rogers, not some other company he doesn't work for. He proceeded to tell me that Teksavvy's modem was $200 as well as all kinds of upfront charges. Wait now, who does he work for again?

I asked him if I could be assured of my current rate on Jan 13?

He said there's no guarantee because if the rates went up by $3 that would not be the same as my current rate. Dude I dont care if it went up by $3 I care if I lose the discount. Oh BTW I can’t "sign" a January contract on Dec 9. I have to call on Jan 13.

But I said if the rates go up in Jan then I want to give my notice by Dec 13.

By now he's screaming at me that leaving Rogers is stupid because they have superior customer service (huh?) with 24/7 access and I will get the low rate in Jan.

So what is he really saying here? Will the rate be available on Jan or there's no guarantee?

He got increasingly agitated and started the tirade…this time really loudly...again...about how high up front charges are at Teksavvy. 

The icing on the cake of Roger’s “superior” customer service came when he screamed at me that I wasn't listening to him.

Oh yes I was listening plenty. Message 1. I'm a stupid customer because I would choose Teksavvy and pay a high price, and, Message 2. I'm doubly stupid to cancel in Dec when I can just call in Jan to get the discount that cannot be guaranteed.

By now you might be thinking, how does he know Teksavvy's rates anyway? Does he work there too? He told me their rates are pasted all over their website. Yes, and Rogers’ rates are pasted all over Rogers’ website too but not the "secret" rate I'm paying.

So my mind's made up. I'm going to Teksavvy because I’m sick of Rogers’ customer service.  I don’t care what Teksavvy charges any more. I just want out.

Incidentally I made some calculations after I called Teksavvy. They had great customer service BTW.

If I amortize over 2 years the cost of their modem and activation fee I'll end up paying $6.17 per month LESS than if I stay with Rogers. It's a small sum I know but the satisfaction is priceless.

***edited labels***

Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Most HORRIBLE customer service EVER

I'm sorry to hear of your experience @frustrated_user 

Please feel free to reach out to us via Twitter at @RogersHelps or Facebook at Facebook.com/Rogers should you have any further questions or concerns.

RogersDarrell

I'm Here A Lot

Update: A message popped up when I opened My Rogers today. It said I have exceeded my limit and I have to acknowledge this message that I have gone over my limit and will be charged for any over-usage or – I suppose the implication is – that I cannot continue using the Internet until the end of the billing cycle.

I will acknowledge and pay any additional charges if I actually exceed my limit. The problem is there has NOT been any change in my Internet use pattern at all. But for some inexplicable reason, which would be my fault of course, my account is showing that I have sucked up 10X my average monthly use (based on my last year of usage).  How is it even possible? This is déjà vu because I had this exact same problem this time last year!

I don’t want to pay for my over-usage because I did NOT go over my limit so I called Rogers to have them reverse my over-usage charge. I had already told them I wished to cancel my account. First they gave me all kinds of excuses about why I could have gone over... I have heard all of this before...

Excuse 1: Someone in my house was overusing it.

Reply: Not possible unless my dog has learned a new trick.

Excuse 2:  I was hacked because my password is weak.

Reply: No, my PW is not “abc123”, all my PWs are complicated for that very reason!

Excuse 3: I was downloading all kinds of stuff all day and night.

I would know if I was downloading very large files, wouldn’t I? ….unless, as I have said, my dog has learned a new trick.

Excuse 4: I have a virus on my computer

Reply: Double NO. I have a Mac and I run virus checks.

Here’s a thought, maybe Rogers has a virus (They didn’t like this reply).

So to remedy this situation they said they would reverse any additional charges if I continue to stay with Rogers.  They can’t reverse this charge if I leave Rogers. So what are they saying here? Yes, they acknowledge that there is a billing mistake and will remove any additional charges if I stay with Rogers. But if I choose to leave then there is no billing mistake and I have to pay the additional charges? **sigh**  I have been a long time Rogers customer for close to 2 decades. That’s 5 moves across 3 provinces. The only reason I want to leave is because I have had it with Rogers. Why would I continue with this torture?

That’s it. My last day is Jan 13 2014.

I'm a Senior Contributor

Well, you've tried to settle it with Rogers with no satisfactory result. Time to file a complaint with the CRTC and let the Big Dogs take it from here. Last I heard, these tactics were frowned upon in Canada. Great post!

Yea I know, this post is total "Hogwash"
I've Been Here Awhile

I complete agree, and I think rogers has forgotten that we the customers pay their salaries and have other choices, I wanted to pay a bill at my local rogers store today and was told to have a seat its gonna be 10 or 15 mins, first off I'm not ordering food or a drink so why should i take a seat, secondly 10-15 min wait to pay is bill in crazy and in my opinion unreasonable, and when I phoned and complained to rogers they made me out to be the bad guy, I'm going to find a different service provider and I hope others follow my example and we take this elitist company down a peg and make them remember who keeps them employed --WE DO!!!!!!! WAKE UP ROGERS AND START TREATING US RIGHT OR LOOSE OUR BUSINESS.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I dont think you going to find any better with any other places.  Most of the bell things at least near me are not even full stores, are things inside like the source now, and they dont take payment at all that way, etc.

I recoment people pay via web banking or through the rogers site.. saves 100% more time, is instant, etc.. and no waiting.

I've Been Here Awhile

That's not how I choose to do things I dont need rogers telling me how to do my business and I don't work for rogers so stop with the propaganda, you probably get a break on your bill for doing this..

A s a long time customer (over 2 decades) I want to be treated like rogers appreciates my business
I shouldn't walk away with rogers feeling like they are doing me a favor, BECAUSE WITHOUT ITS CUSTOMERS THERE IS NO ROGERS!!!!
Digest that.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I dont work for rogers.. i get no cuts, etc.. I do this of my own free with on my own spare time with nothing for it.

I was only giving options, as time seems to be important to you, i was just giving you options as to speed up your time paying the bill.

It makes no difference to me what carrier you choose, do what you wish.

I've Been Here Awhile

We the consumers in Canada need to stand up and take action and remind all of these over bloated Monopolies like rogers that they need to remember " NO CUSTOMERS NO ROGERS " bottom line if I am this disgruntled, there are a few thousand more that feel the same as me, and with rogers attitude these days That number will only grow.

I'm a Trusted Contributor

@Gdkitty wrote:

I dont work for rogers.. i get no cuts, etc.. I do this of my own free with on my own spare time with nothing for it.

I was only giving options, as time seems to be important to you, i was just giving you options as to speed up your time paying the bill.

It makes no difference to me what carrier you choose, do what you wish.

This seems like pick on Gdkitty day  Can I join in? Smiley Wink  Seriously though, thanks for all the help you provide and have a nice day.