Lost iPhone 8 Plus today – should I report to Rogers, or not?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Here Awhile

Lost iPhone 8 Plus today – should I report to Rogers, or not?

Hi. 

This morning (Aug 26) my girlfriend lost an iPhone 8 Plus that we purchased through Rogers just over a month ago. 

We were smart enough to have 'Find My iPhone' and 'Send Last Location' turned on. As soon as we realized the phone was gone, we checked iCloud dot com, and the iPhone is listed as 'Offline,' so presumably (hopefully) that means it has powered down, and not that a thief has put it in Airplane mode. The battery was relatively low this morning.

(The most recent location is supposed to be displayed for 24 hours when 'Send Last Location' is on, so I'm not sure why it said that that the location is not available...?)

We then selected the option to put the phone in 'Lost' mode as soon as it is back online. 

We reported the loss to Apple, and gave them the IMEI. We also plan to report it to the police, as soon as we can get through to them on the phone. 

I know it is recommended to also report the loss to Rogers, but if we do so, and Rogers then switches off our cellular data service, won't that diminish the chance that the phone will be able to ping its location to iCloud, should someone find it and power it on? Cellular data was turned on at the time it was misplaced.

We're aware of the IMEI blacklist option... that sounds good, but evidently there's no way of adding the IMEI to the blacklist without also switching off the Rogers data services. At least not using the self-serve telephone option [1 (855) 381-7834]. 

We're holding out some hope that it hasn't already been sold for parts. Right now our plan is to wait a day or two before reporting to Rogers, because of this faint hope. Not sure if that makes sense. 

Is there any way to tell, from the Rogers online portal, whether any calls have been placed from the phone since this morning, or other charges incurred? The fact that 'Find My iPhone' is consistently showing 'Offline' makes us think that no charges could have been incurred, so... what's the point of reporting it right away?

What do you folks think?  Thanks for any advice!

- Gord77

***Edited Labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.

Re: Lost iPhone 8 Plus today – should I report to Rogers, or not?

Hello @Gord77,

Sorry to hear about the phone :(. 

I understand why you'd want to keep the phone active, but please be aware that you will be responsible for any usage charges that may occur during this time.

Blacklisting an IMEI will prevent future use on a Canadian network. You can report the device as stolen and view current usage via MyRogers .

Hope this helps and you find your phone as soon as possible. Let us know if you have any further questions.

RogersZia

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Thanks for your reply. 

There have been further developments and complications. I would like your advice. 

I went ahead and reported my girlfriend's iPhone 8 Plus as lost, using the touch tone self-service method, in spite of concerns that this would make it less likely that the lost phone's location would be broadcast to us via 'Find My iPhone,' on the off-chance it was powered up again, wherever it is. But we thought, if that was going to happen, it probably would have happened after two days. Also, we wanted to have the phone number operative again, and use it with my girlfriend's previous iPhone (SE).

Using the self-service interface I also selected the option for the iPhone 8 Plus's IMEI to be blacklisted.

After doing this, I called the Rogers tech support line to see about going back to using the old iPhone SE, and the old SIM card we used to use with it, which we still had lying around. The tech support rep advised us to use the instructions on this page, to reactivate the old SIM card: 

https://www.rogers.com/customer/support/article/activate-sim-card

The rep advised that it's possible that these instructions won't work, in which case we should ask Rogers to send us a new SIM, which could be mailed to us, or picked up at a Rogers outlet.

Well we went ahead, did the switch, reinserted the old SIM, restarted the phone, and we got the cellular reception bars, and "ROGERS" in the left corner of the screen, so it seemed to work. But when I tried to place a call, we got a recording that the line has been deactivated due the phone having been reported as lost. Sigh. Even though I explained all these circumstances to the support rep, we were not advised of this possibility.

Okay then, I called tech support again and asked for the cell service for this phone number to be restored. The rep understood the problem, and restored the service. The iPhone SE and the old SIM were working again as before.

Then I realized, after getting off the phone with the support rep: if the cell service cancellation has been undone, does that mean the IMEI has been removed from the blacklist too? We obviously still want the iPhone 8 Plus, wherever it is out there, to be unusable by a thief. (We also have iCloud Activation Lock in place, but for all I know that can be circumvented.) Is there any way to check whether the iPhone 8 Plus's IMEI is still on the blacklist?

When I go to the MyRogers portal, my girlfriend's phone number is still listed next to "iPhone 8 Plus". So Rogers thinks we are using the 8 Plus again. Does that mean its IMEI has been taken off the blacklist?

——Another weird thing: that same night we received an e-mail from Rogers telling us that the "new SIM card" was on its way to us in the mail. Even though we told the first rep we were going to reactivate the previous SIM that we had right there, and only request a new SIM card if that didn't work. When this other SIM arrives in the mail, should we just disregard it, return it, or what?——

Please advise. We want to be sure that the 8 Plus's IMEI is still blacklisted, that Rogers knows we're not using that phone anymore, and that it's lost, while still being able to use the same phone line and number with the iPhone SE. Is this even possible? Thanks for any help.

I've Been Here Awhile

Please disregard all the above. A very helpful Rogers phone support rep answered all my questions and has made the required changes to my services and accounts. 

Hi @Gord77,

Glad to hear my colleague was able to address all your questions and concerns. Thank you for keeping us posted.

Feel free to reach back out if you have any further questions.

RogersZia