Leaving Rogers? Prepare yourself

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Here Awhile

Leaving Rogers? Prepare yourself

I've finally decided after 13 years to leave rogers due to the high cost of data and the monthly hassles of trying to control my kids' internet usage.  I've formally cancelled.  According to the T&C's, i must give 30 days, so the clock is ticking.

I logged into my account online to check my current data usage - one more month to go.  Guess what?  Because I'm cancelling, that feature is now turned off.  Seems Rogers wants to maximize their billing by making it very difficult for me to track usage.

I tried to call tech support to discuss the issue.  Guess what?  Because I'm cancelling, my tech support calls don't route through to a live tech support person.  I'm now forced to use chat.  I don't know about you, but having a discussion with someone who only participates 1 sentence every 2 mins is more than a bit frustrating.  Not to mention the absurdity about forcing chat if your internet service is not working (which was the case for 4 days last week). 

I'm an Advisor

Re: Leaving Rogers? Prepare yourself

@LeavingSoon:

this makes no sense at all!  You are a paid-up customer until the end of the thirty days.  You still need access to all of what you have mentioned.

Therefore, the whole situation you describe is unmitigatingly stupid!

It may make sense to someone inside Rogers to do things this way, but as a corporation this surely will not endear them to anybody.

After treatment like this, why would you ever come back to them?

skinorth

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

What happened when you called? Did it specifically say they couldn't help?

I know the system locks you into some loops for the support part, trying all these automated things. You tried mashing zero a bunch of times?

I'm not saying you are lying. Just I have heard others on here able to still talk to people in their 30 days before, so never heard of it before (though I guess things could have changed). 😞

The tracking thing is stupid though. 😞

I've Been Here Awhile

I called several of the numbers provided by Rogers for support.  Each  required entry of my telephone number.  Each then also required that i enter the numeric values of my postal code.  It then transfered through to a recording stating that their business office was now closed and to call again during regular business hours.  As this was on a Friday night, I could not contact anyone on live support throughout the weekend.

My account was fully paid up. My wife just noticed that our last bill no longer states that payment is due by the end of the month (the bill I get at the beginning of the month is for services forward in that month).  The bill we just received now says payment is due immediately (received 1 week ago).  I've not paid that bill yet because I did not have service for 5 days so far this month (bad modem) and, when I called on Friday, I also was  having severe receive packet loss (streaming services not usable).

The online chat tech would not forward the case to a live operator and would not connect me to a supervisor when asked.  In total, I was on live chat for 1 1/2 hours as the tech could not respond at all to my concern about lack of access to daily usage data and gave me a different chat URL.  The person at that URL eventually figured out they were not the right department and gave me another URL which connected me back to ... you guessed it .... the original chat service.  The original chat operator could do nothing about the packet loss problem.  It eventually cleared up by itself (I had this intermittent problem several times last summer.  It took 4 tech visits until it was referred through to "maintenance" then the problem went away.  Whether due to the maintenance action or just cleared up by itself, I don't know because nobody got back to me at all).

Chat based support flys along at the rate of one sentence every 2-3 minutes as the chat operator services multiple customers at once. 

So, I'll try calling again today and get throug to their business office where I'll be asking for a reduction of my fees this month.

Due to the lack of service, I called TeckSavvy on Saturday to see if the installation of my DSL based replacement service could be brought forward.  It will now be done this Friday instead of the end of the month.  It is worth it for me to replace the service before the end of the 30 days notice expires ... I've had it with Rogers and will never go back for ANY of their products.

I Plan to Stick Around

I agree with you 100% their tech service isn't all that great, your doing a good move buddy... many will do that same very soon..

I've Been Around

How is Teksavvy service because I'm planning to do the same!

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I recomend you asking around on say dslreports, and other such sites, to get people opinion on the techsavvy support.

I have nothing against them, i know some peopel who work heavily with the higher ups in the company and beleive personaly they are a good company.

Its just not a topic for this board.

I'm Here A Lot

After reading your post, I feel confident that I made the right decision. I was also using Rogers Internet since they began offering high-speed internet (probably almost 20yrs now). After years of frustration dealing with their support & billing departments, escalating monthly costs, and poor service, I began asking around and researching alternatives. I find the Rogers 30-day cancellation notice policy ridiculous and a final money grab on your way out the door but felt it was necessary to stop the price gouging.

I also canceled my Rogers Home phone as the initial reason for us to switch from Bell to Rogers line was cost savings, but over time grew to match and exceed the cost of a Bell line. Unless you feel like calling every 6 months or year to complain, you won't get a 'discount' and just pay really high rates. This is a common Rogers practice and I'm just too old and tired to play their game anymore. 

Since I gave my cancellation notice back in December, I've now switched to Start Communications for my highspeed internet and using a MagicJack+ for my home phone. (I'm not getting blazing fast speeds but it is unlimited so no more worrying about tracking monthly data usage).

I'm still with Rogers for my wireless and my 3yr contract finally ended back in February, I called to cancel and switch to a competitor with no contract and the Rogers Retention department cut my wireless plan from over $70/mo to $48/mo, which goes to prove that they are making a ton of money off customers and that discounts are available if you're willing to leave. 

I find it ironic that in the ruling by the CRTC in favour of TPIA (Third Party Internet Access), both Rogers and Bell now offer a 'special' unlimited internet data usage fee to try and compete with the smaller companies. This should have been offered years ago instead of their ridiculous data overusage policy, first to a cap of $25, then $50, then $75, now at $100. 

**Edited for content**

I'm a Senior Advisor

@mjotest wrote:

I find it ironic that in the ruling by the CRTC in favour of TPIA (Third Party Internet Access), both Rogers and Bell now offer a 'special' unlimited internet data usage fee to try and compete with the smaller companies. This should have been offered years ago instead of their ridiculous data overusage policy, first to a cap of $25, then $50, then $75, now at $100. 

There was a time a number of years ago that Rogers did in fact offer unlimited Internet usage. Then, to the detriment of the customer, they began to offer a number of different Internet packages and phased in usage limits - different limits for each package. So now the customer can best select a package that "will suit their needs" - all for a higher price of course!

I'm Here A Lot

So true, I remember those as the "good old days".  Rogers internet service was decent for speed and a little above average for pricing but then once Rogers started charging for overusage, things steadily rolled downhill while pricing climbed upward. 

I received a customer survey call last week from Rogers to let me know about the new unlimited data add-on promotion so I chatted with the Rogers rep who spent the time to see if she could work out a deal to match my current ISP's plan. I was actually tempted by her offer until she got to the part about having to pay for an installation fee. So I said I still have cable high speed internet so wouldn't it just be a matter of connecting the modem and adding the modem to their system? She said no I'd have to schedule a technician to come onsite to hook up the internet. Which led me with the point that when I switched from Rogers to Start, there was no technician needed, just hook up the modem and they'll activate the service on their end. She also said that the promotional price she worked out would be for 1 year, at which it would switch back to regular pricing unless I want to call to see what is available at that time. The cycle begins again...not for me.

I compare Rogers to smoking. They get you addicted to their services by listing 'deals' that only last for a short time, then you have to keep calling and negotiating with them to get a decent rate. Even this new unlimited data promotion, I predict that Its on-going until you decide to break the cycle. I recommend that all consumers should do their research and make decisions based on service, price and feedback from other people.  There are plenty of other choices on the market... Teksavvy, Start Communications, Distributel, Acanac, etc.