Late payment charges

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm a Trusted Contributor

Re: Late payment charges

@RogersCorey wrote:

If you're finding that you forget to make your payments on time, we do have automatic direct billing, so you'll never miss a payment and get dinged with a late charge again!

Did you read the very first post in this thread  ?  Automatic billing encourages customers to not bother to pay attention to their bills ... and then what happens ?  Smiley Wink

@barndoor wrote:

Be sure you define whether this is a payment or transfer ....It is my understanding that a "payment" could easily take a day or so to get posted  and a "transfer" is immediate and should be posted by the receiver at opening of business the next business day .  

So if you transfer  like @PAH555 supposedly did ,on the 15th,  Rogers should have it next day ...actually they should have it within seconds of when you transfer it but not likely posted till next morning as I understand  it .  

If you make a payment  then I think it is a coin toss whether  payment will be posted  on the 16 th or the 19th .  And then it all depends on the company ....on occasion  I  have made a "payment" to my credit card company no less , ON the due date  and  there was no late charge   .... so what does that say about the  Rogers policy ? 

Definitely a Payment, not a Transfer. 

Payment and Transfer.png

I've Been Here Awhile

I was recently also changed a late fee because the automatic withdrawal was scheduled to come out on a weekend, how is that my fault! It defeats the purpose of having automatic withdrawals. I plan on waiting on hold to have the late fee reversed. I also have automatic bill payment withdrawals with Epcor and I have never been charged a late fee should the payment fall on a weekend. Think of how much extra $ Rogers is making by doing this!   

I've Been Here Awhile

The reason for signing up for automatic bill payment withdrawals is so you do not have late fees! It is not your fault if Rogers payment is scheduled to come out on a weekend!

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@tonyashe : You are correct. I've been on Auto-payment (on my credit card) for many years and never had an issue with Rogers. I assume you're talking about auto-payment and not you setting up a payment for a particular date with your bank, etc.  If the latter, then that could be the source of your problem and you should schedule the payment for a couple of days before the due date so that you don't run into issues.  With true auto-payment, where you set it up once and it's automatic from then on, you should not have an issue.

I'm a Senior Advisor

@tonyashe wrote:

The reason for signing up for automatic bill payment withdrawals is so you do not have late fees! It is not your fault if Rogers payment is scheduled to come out on a weekend!

My Rogers Cable bill payments are pre-authorized from my bank account.  On one occasion I was charged a late fee because the due date was on a weekend and the bank paid it on the Monday, as it always has in such a case. This time Rogers charged me a late fee. When I noticed it and called Rogers, they reimbursed me on the next bill. Looks like it was a freak glitch in the Rogers system.

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario

@tonyashewrote:

I was recently also changed a late fee because the automatic withdrawal was scheduled to come out on a weekend, how is that my fault! It defeats the purpose of having automatic withdrawals. I plan on waiting on hold to have the late fee reversed. I also have automatic bill payment withdrawals with Epcor and I have never been charged a late fee should the payment fall on a weekend. Think of how much extra $ Rogers is making by doing this!   

There should be a grace period. Call Rogers and they should reverse the late payment charges.

Most loan and insurance contracts allows payments to be received for a period of time after the actual due date. There should be no late fees are charged during this period, and the late payment should not result in default or cancellation of the service. A typical grace period is 15 days.   Good luck.

@User14wrote:

I understand what @PAH555 is saying and it may be just be the billing being done before the payment is posted.   

Let's test my payment which is due on 16 Feb 2018 and a Friday.

I'll set it up so that the BANK (it shouldn't matter which) pays it on  15 Feb 2018 which is Thursday.

We all are told to give it a day for processing, so that is what we'll do and we'll see when the BANK processes it and when ROGERS processes it.   My Billing date is the 18th of the month which is a Sunday so this will be a interesting test of the process should I get an overage charge on my next bill. 

This is like running throught the airport trying to get your connection. A delay on first flight could ruin your day. 

I guess I didn't report back on my test.  Here you go.

Rogers says: Please pay by Feb 16, 2018. Friday

So I tell my Bank. Pay on Feb 15, 2018 Thursday as noted above. It's a payment not an automatic transfer.

The Bank pays on Feb 15 Thursday. 

Next Bill from Rogers says: Your payments - thank you Feb 16  Friday

They also say: Any payments we received and processed after Feb 19, 2018 will show on your next bill.

It looks like you have a 4 day grace period, but legally I think it is 2 weeks and you could take them to small claims court if they give you a hard time to get your money back. 

Because Rogers and others are making millions in profit, I'd complain to Marketplace or Go Public instead.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/thenational/customer-takes-bell-to-court-and-wins-cbc-go-public-1.4641283

Apr 30, 2018 8:07 AM ET Customer takes Bell to court and wins | CBC Go Public

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Since interest rates on most bank balances are close to zero, I see no reason to do a "tight" payment.   Pay it a few days early and you won't have to waste your time calling to get it reversed.  Or do an auto-withdrawal like I do and it'll automatically be withdrawn on the due date.  I pay my Rogers bills using my Rogers MasterCard, which means I get more money back too.

I'm a Senior Advisor

And do remember to go in to MyRogers to the profile and be sure you change your credit card before it expires.

People have got caught on that one and reported here.   Mine comes us in June.

Bruce