Late payment charges

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Late payment charges

yes,i got my 2.18 back after 40 mins of technical probs,imagine that?
its not the amount,its the principle.
and I'm glad you look at what you are being billed.most people don't.
the people that are too busy to look at bills are usually the ones that should be paying extra attn
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @phalkon

I agree. It is the principal of it. I never used to look at my bills and always had issues. Started looking at them after words. Again some won't ans those ones a sadly are the ones that have issues.
I'm a Trusted Contributor

This seems to be a common occurrence.

I didn't even notice that I had been charged $7.66 for Late Payment on our latest bill. (18 Aug - 18 Sep)

I pay through Scotia Bank and it indicates a payment on September 15, 2017, three days before 18 Sep.

I also noted the terms and conditions:

IMPORTANT

Payment due upon receipt. Payment must be received on or before the Required Payment Date to

avoid a Late Payment Charge. Please make the cheque payable to Rogers (9 digit account number)

and write your account number on the front of the cheque. Return this stub with your payment.

The delay in posting this payment must rest with Rogers financial administration.

I will ask to have the $7.66 late payment charge reversed of course, but this nearly snuck by me out of complacency. Lesson Learned:  go  over your bill!

FYI. Further to my earlier email, we pay through our bank and charged $7.66 for Late Payment on our last bill. It was due on 16 Sep 2017.  Our Bank indicates that the payment was made on September 15, 2017. Even though the Bank record indicate that we made the payment on September 15, 2017 which was on or before the 16 Sep due date, it did not get posted by Rogers as a payment until Sept 18 - hence the late charge.  

It looks like anyone can easily get caught in this 2-3 day gap in time. Thinking that electronic payments are done on the same day is obviously incorrect. 

I was also told that there was no 2-3 day delay if you pay your bill using your Rogers Bank Card on the due date. Interesting. 

I'm a Senior Advisor

My dentist, my utilities, my taxes, and many other services have 3 days grace - why - because of weekends.  3 days grace used to be the standard for bill payments when I first studies accounting and book keeping.

It was when things went electronic that the days grace disappeared, and we had to read all the fine print, spend time asking with each company we work with and our banks, how do we deal with timing of our payments.

Rogers has an interesting process, that is rare in all my payments I make - if you do automated bill payment from your bank, or credit card, they process it around 10 days in advance - so they have our money (that is a lot of money across all customers), with them earning interest and profits, while we are not earning interest until the due date.  All my other bills, come out of my bank account on the due date.

So the ease of having the auto payment to Rogers and similiar companies, costs us in use of our money and potential interest if you manage your money to maximize your return, but avoids the late payment by paying early by at least 10 days.

The other concept of days grace is that many bills, like my dentist bill is due on receipt with 15 days grace to pay with no penalty or interest charges (no late fees, just interest from original billing date).

So know how companies handle payments.

Rogers has a bunch of fees related to payment that we need to be aware of around timing, issues related to bank processing times, use of our Credit cards to pay the bill (fortunately, most companies do not consider a 
Rogers bill as a bill payment, but paying for a service, so it does not get counted as a cash advance on our credit card).

I think all of us who are aiming to make the best return for ourselves and not provide Rogers and other companies free use of our money for days in advance through auto withdrawals have run into this issue at least once.

It is all in the terms, and penalties are highlighted in bold as required by CRTC.  So do read those things closely.

Bruce

I'm a Senior Advisor

BS wrote:

Rogers has an interesting process, that is rare in all my payments I make - if you do automated bill payment from your bank, or credit card, they process it around 10 days in advance - so they have our money (that is a lot of money across all customers), with them earning interest and profits, while we are not earning interest until the due date.  All my other bills, come out of my bank account on the due date.

My cable bills are paid automatically by bank withdrawal on the 1st of every month. I can't find any mention of an actual "due date" in any of my bills.  About a year ago I found a late charge on my bill and wondered how that could happen unless my bank or Rogers screwed up. I contacted Rogers and the charge got reversed after a couple of months with no explanation. I think it was a case where a weekend payment came out on the Monday and it was counted as late (October 1, 2016 was a Saturday). Checking my bills I found that these Monday payments were never a problem, but this time the system had failed.

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
I'm a Senior Advisor

@OLDYELLR

Thanks for the clarification on how your own billing process works.

I went to this reference page from Rogers http://www.rogers.com/web/support/billing-payment/bill/132?setLanguage=en

It appears that in the example provided where there does not seem to be any auto withdrawal, the payment is around a month less one day after the billing date.  In that example, Bill date is Feb 2, 2014 (a sunday that year) at the top, and the payment date is by March 01, 2014 (a saturday that year) - so that would be 27 days later (1 day less than one calendar month).

In my case, my bill date is currently Sept 12, 2017, so if I was not on withdrawal, it would be due Oct 11, 2017 using the logic I have developed - not sure it is correct or not - I have seen the date shifted when processing was late (it typically takes until the 19th before I ever see a bill and I get odd things like since I use SamKnows, my overage is credited and shows up on the same month bill, but the overage charge does not show until the next bill as it is not processed until after the 15th in my case).

My credit card withdrawal occurs this month on September 28th, I guess 16 days after the billing date.

So I have to make sure my credit card can manage a charge on that date, but if I stop the credit card payment as I have once in a while when I was getting a lot of errors on my bills, it got moved out to the later date, and I had to watch what date that fell on as to when I would make the payment through my bank to make sure I did it before 6 p.m. and if a Friday, definitely befoe - my practice was actually to go a few days before just to be safe.

So this is what I mean by the "due date", that date varies depending upon your payment method and is stated on the bill, and those I have never seen late charges on as they are well before the final due possible.  Now if you are running your own payments, watch closely the time factors set by your bank for processing to avoid the late fees.

One other thing to watch for, is that if you have automatic withdrawal on an early date like mine on the 28th, make sure that the account can cover it (not sure what time Rogers sends their request for funds to the bank), but if you don't have the funds, you are in for fees possibly from both sides.  Although I have heard from some that Rogers will try a few times first - but I don't know if that is true always.

Get to know very well how Rogers bills, when they request from the bank a withdrawal, or apply to your credit card, and make sure you know your banks, or credit cards processing policies and be sure that the money is there based upon the banks policies of processing.

Hope this discussion is helpful, thanks to @User14 for introducing your experience and the contributions of others.  When you have been around as long as some of us, we have seen just about everything, but new things always come along.

Bruce

@BS wrote:

Hope this discussion is helpful, thanks to @User14 for introducing your experience and the contributions of others.  When you have been around as long as some of us, we have seen just about everything, but new things always come along.

Bruce

@BS  Hi Bruce,   I don't think most people check their online billing detail. I know I didn't until recently, so it is easy to get caught by the small print or the various terms and conditions. For example, instead of using my home phone and being charged long distance (LD), I started using my cell phone for long distance (WI) which has no charges because of the unlimited talk and text. It is difficult to change your habits of picking up the old phone.

Rogers does try to explain their online billing after many people complained.    Short video explaining the bill

I also know that if you want to receive a paper copy, it costs $3.00. So now people must take the time to view the bill online (My Rogers).  I am starting to download the bills because it does have a lot of detail on your cell phone calls and long distance calls. Home phone still has a $5.95 system access fee.  Internet doesn't have any similar detail except for usage which you have to get online (Usage and Services). You only get to see the past 6 months though, so if you want to track it for a year you have to remember to download the data.   TV detail is just your packages.  Hopefully, people will check their details online at least once a year, or whenever they change their plan. 

I'm a Senior Advisor

@User14  Glad the information was of use -

Interesting fact - these changes from Rogers and others for more clear information on the bill and online came after CRTC changed regulations on how they had to present it - all companies had to do it to protect the rights of consumers to a clear set of terms and contract terms.

A couple of clarifications - Rogers cannot charge for choosing paper bills over electronic on MyRogers - another Rogers ruling - I thought the history of bills was 18 months, but not sure if that differs.  I do know if you get paper delivery, you can see history for only a limited period.

I too download all my pdf bills - has come in handy when clarification, and I download all terms that are relevant to me, and when you order something, by definition of the regulations, they must send you a paper copy unless you choose not to explicitly.  In my recent interactions, I was explicitly asked, did I want an electronic copy sent - what was not mentioned was that I was implicitly waiving my right to the 15 day requirement of paper terms.

The CRTC mandates much of what we are talking about here and Rogers has met those expectations and they are there now to "ensure" we understand, but if we don't read them, that is our problem.

People should always ask either for a paper copy of the terms of all transactions, confirmations, or agree to electronic copy, and when they don't arrive in a timely way, technically, you do not have an agreement in place.  If they don't show up in your email when requested, then request them to be sent, and if they don't show, I escalate and get them either mailed to me, or emailed.

Rogers can charge when you request a copy that you have already received either by mail or electronically though.

And if you are visually handicapped like myself, you can also get paper in a large font at no fee, and one other one people with visual impairment may not know (and that includes print disability too) is you don't pay for 411 information calls.

Each time one of us gets caught by the "fine print", not only is this a great place to figure out how to deal with it, it is also an opportunity to communicate and learn the details of the fine print that people may have missed.

By the way, you will notice on terms and bills that required items are in bold and in simple terminology, seperated out from the rest of the fine print. Another CRTC requirement.

Great conversation - I have few complaints with Rogers at this time after three years of issue after issue (first time in 26 years, but it is great to be able to clarify the little stuff that catches us.

This I see as my way of being part of improving the "customer experience".  If we are educated and we are provided information, we can have a good customer experience, by not having to get caught by surprise and spending our valuable time fixing them.  Instead, we can enjoy our experience consuming our services.

Great conversation - Bruce

@BS wrote:

A couple of clarifications - Rogers cannot charge for choosing paper bills over electronic on MyRogers - another Rogers ruling - I thought the history of bills was 18 months, but not sure if that differs.  I do know if you get paper delivery, you can see history for only a limited period.

I was wrong in my previous post. We were charged the fee for the paper bill up until we switched to electronic (2015), so I didn't realize it had been dropped.  (currently Sep 2017). At least CRTC did something useful.  

Interesting that behaviour can be modified by fines and fees. Smiley Surprised