Late payment charges when bill paid on time.

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Here Awhile

Late payment charges when bill paid on time.

It is uncanny how many times I get dinged for a late payment charge on my Rogers cable bill. My billing date is always the 11th of the month and I try faithfully, as with all my bills, to pay on time. With internet payment, the bank shows the amount taken from my account and gone on time but Rogers claim they did not receive it until a few days later. I have brought this to the attention of the Business department before and on two occasions was given a refund. I pay bills electronically to nine companies and Rogers is the only one that does this. If the billing date is the 11th and I pay by the eleventh then this should be simple. My money does not fly around lost in Cyberspace for awhile before arriving in Rogers coffers. I paid my last bill on the 11th as verified by my bank statement but Rogers notes that it was paid on the 14th. One young wag on the phone from the business department told me I should always pay a few days earlier to make sure this doesn't happen. Is petty larceny a standard practice at Rogers? 

***Edited Labels***

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Late payment charges when bill paid on time.

@TheloniusMonk : Please see the following statement from one of the major banks. I always set my (manual) electronic payments for a few days before the due date because it sometimes does take time and sometimes the date is on a Friday (or Saturday or Sunday) and the payment may not take place until Monday (or Tuesday if a long weekend).  I therefore suggest you do make your payments a few days before, as suggested by the bank and by Rogers.

The payee may take 3 to 5 business days to post the payment to your account. In addition, some payees only accept the date they actually process your payment and not the date you make your payment in Online Banking. As a result, you may want to check with the payees to find out how far in advance you should make the payments in order to meet their due date.

https://www.rbcroyalbank.com/onlinebanking/bankingusertips/payments/paybills.html

It's not as though your money is earning 20% interest these days anyway.  Why subject yourself (and Rogers) to the hassle of having to call in to have this corrected all the time.  Yes, some corporations and institutions are faster, but again, why make life so hard on yourself?

Whenever possible I set up "auto-payments," so that I don't have to worry about payment dates, remembering to pay, etc.  All my bills with Rogers (and most other corporations, etc I deal with) are paid by auto-withdrawals and they are taken out on the due date. No muss, no fuss.

I'm a Senior Advisor

@TheloniusMonk, @57, I pay all my bills electronically, either by automated withdrawal or postdated transaction after receiving the bill by email, and always on the due date, not even one day before.  Mostly through RBC and a few through TD.  Never has a payment been "late" except for one case, a couple of years ago, which was Rogers. That was when it was due on a long weekend and the system didn't  make the correction. A rare fluke. I contacted Rogers when I saw the late charge and it was credited on the next bill.

I don't agree with paying bills a few days early "just to be safe". Electronic transfers take place instantly on the date due, and if they don't, it's the bank's or recipient's system's fault, not yours. While the cost to me of paying a bill early would be insignificant, it is a huge windfall to a company like Rogers with millions of customers each paying hundreds of dollars. of course they would encourage you to pay early.

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
I've Been Here Awhile

The response from the bank clearly suggests it is the PAYEE( Rogers) that takes its time registering a payment and that some other companies do this more instantaneously. If it takes Rogers three days or so to acknowledge a payment and thus extract a latepayment fee, then what is the point of the due date.

As far as the response from RESIDENT EXPERT regarding doing myself and Rogers a favour by employing auto-billing and paying early: I would never trust Rogers to direct bill my account as over thirty years experience dealing with them has taught me they often add increases without any notice. I am one of those people who believes that commitments should be kept. I commited to pay a set fee on a particular date each month for cable service and they commited to charge me the same set fee and provide uninterrupted service. Over thirty years, I can assure you , it is only Rogers who have breached that commitment. They know they have the cable market monopolized so why try harder. Your team of community apologists would not even be necessary if Rogers did not have a lot of rough edged to smooth over.

I've Been Here Awhile

Thankyou for your most reasoned response.

I'm a Senior Advisor

@TheloniusMonk wrote:

As far as the response from RESIDENT EXPERT regarding doing myself and Rogers a favour by employing auto-billing and paying early: I would never trust Rogers to direct bill my account as over thirty years experience dealing with them has taught me they often add increases without any notice. I am one of those people who believes that commitments should be kept. I commited to pay a set fee on a particular date each month for cable service and they commited to charge me the same set fee and provide uninterrupted service. Over thirty years, I can assure you , it is only Rogers who have breached that commitment. They know they have the cable market monopolized so why try harder. Your team of community apologists would not even be necessary if Rogers did not have a lot of rough edged to smooth over.

All my electronic payments are either automatic withdrawals or post dated transactions I enter immediately upon receiving the bill. Except for that one long weekend glitch I mentioned, I've never had a late payment to Rogers or anyone else. As for increases, they're inevitable. That's inflation. It's what spins the hamster wheel and drives the economy. Being on a fixed income, I resent it more than anybody. But what are you going to do? Call Rogers and argue over it before conceding to pay the bill?  In my opinion, manually paying a bill on the due date is leaving too much to chance and memory. What if your Internet is down on the day you want to enter the payment? But to each his own. Whatever makes you comfortable.

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@TheloniusMonk wrote:

1. The response from the bank clearly suggests it is the PAYEE( Rogers) that takes its time registering a payment and that some other companies do this more instantaneously.

2. If it takes Rogers three days or so to acknowledge a payment and thus extract a latepayment fee, then what is the point of the due date.

3.As far as the response from RESIDENT EXPERT regarding doing myself and Rogers a favour by employing auto-billing and paying early:

4.I would never trust Rogers to direct bill my account as over thirty years experience dealing with them has taught me they often add increases without any notice. 

1. "Registering" the payment may require more "electronic correspondence".  For example, even between banks, if you transfer funds to one bank from another the second establishment doesn't allow you to withdraw those fund immediately and may take 3-5 days to release those funds to you, even though the money is "yours".  On your bank statement it often shows a "balance" as well as "funds available" which can be different.

2. The due date is just that, when the payment is due.  If it hasn't been "registered" by then, then the software may register a late payment fee.  For example, many credit cards also take time to "register" a charge or credit and often a transaction shows as "pending".  What other companies may do is have their software give you an extra day or two before registering a late payment and compensate with a "due date" that's a day or two before the "late payment" charge takes effect.

3. Auto-withdrawal is not paying early. The money is transferred on the due date, thereby guaranteeing there is no late payment fee and also guaranteeing that the money stays in your account for the maximum time.

4. Increases always have notice, but some people don't see them because they don't review their bills well, especially if they just check the total electronically.  Even if there is an increase, you can see this on your bill before the due date and you can feel free to contact Rogers about it.

I'm not saying that Rogers is perfect, far from it.  I am saying that it's very easy for you to avoid the hassle of a late payment fee by paying a couple of days earlier, or by doing auto-withdrawal.  If Rogers were really after an extra days money, they could likely move the due date a bit.

I Plan to Stick Around

@TheloniusMonk after reading your comment I had to sign in so I could give you a like.  Rogers billing software is right out of the dark ages.  I agree with your comments 100% if the bank says you don't have tthe money then Rogers must.  I paid my bill one month with a CC on the Rogers site and the next day they were thanking me for the payment so it can be done.  Recently I arranged (6 weeks early) a new 2 year discount for their services but since the discount was not actually in effect the day the bill was prepared they charged full price for the month for their services.  I paid only the amount agreed upon and they of course charged me a late payment fee.  But I had the satisfaction of making them wait.

I've Been Around

hello. if you always pay on time, then set up for automated bill payment. if possible, set up with a credit card that earns loyalty rewards. on a separate point, ask Rogers how it is possible that they can identify cash receipts from automated billings--perhaps they use predefined prefix in the cash receipt reference or something else. when you get this info, ask your financial institution to set it up for you. also, the debit to your account and the credit to the Rogers account occur simultaneously, so if this issue is exclusive to Rogers only, then ask Go Public to investigate.
Topic Stats
  • 8 replies
  • 5 Likes
  • 5 in conversation