Keep 1 phone usable both in Canada for 6 months and the US for 6 months ?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Keep 1 phone usable both in Canada for 6 months and the US for 6 months ?

My wife and I spend the winter in the western US and we are trying to keep 1 phone usable both in Canada for 6 months and the US for 6 months. Our plan so far is to buy a no term plan after buying  an unlocked phone utilizing a Rogers sim card while in Canada. We the would like to use e.g. AT&T sim card while in the US. When Back in Canada we would use a Rogers sim card again.

Is this feasible?  If it is, is there a way to keep the same Rogers phone number after reactivating after 6 months absence?

Sort of like when you pay a lesser fee for your suspended tv service when your away for the winter.

***edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.
Retired Moderator RogersAsif
Retired Moderator

Re: Keep 1 phone usable both in Canada for 6 months and the US for 6 months ?

Welcome to the Community @Schrammy Smiley Happy

Have you looked into our Share Everything Plans and Roam Like Home? This would allow you to use your phone in the US for a great value, you can find more information here.

In regards to keeping a phone number you would need to ensure you don't fully cancel the account. You can find more information on temporary suspensions in this thread here.

Feel free to chime in Community

RogersAsif

Rogers Employee lockdown2341
Rogers Employee

Roam Like Home is a good option as stated by @RogersAsif above. However it would involve you maintaining your no term plan and paying the full monthly cost along with $5.00/day up to $50.00/bill cycle. The plus side is that it would allow you to make use of your phone without having to change SIM cards and use it the same way as you would here in Canada.

There are wireless suspension options available though if you're going to go without a term. The cost of the suspension is $7.00/month for up to 4 months. However if you're going to be gone for six months you'll need to change the plan entirely to a $16.00/month seasonal plan, which means when you get back you'll have to hope the old version of your plan is still available, otherwise you'll need to change it to an in-market version of the plan which may or may not be the same cost.

I hope this helps.

I've Been Here Awhile

Thanks guys for the input. I'm not quite sure why Rogers charges a fee over and above the month to month rate to suspend the service. If I buy an unlocked phone and get the Rogers SIM card then go with an $80 per month  (no term) for example, I will have to pay the $80 PLUS $7 to keep my phone number back in Canada. Then I  change my SIM card to the AT&T carrier in the US and take another to term plan with them. Alternatively, I pay the $80 and add $50 for the roam like home add on. All this to keep my number? I wonder if it is just simpler to cancel the month to month no term plan ,lose the phone number and start over when I get back to Canada.

Rogers Employee

Well you'd be looking at getting a new phone number every time you come back to Canada. I can imagine that being a bit of a hassle. But let me clarify things for you.

The $7.00/month suspension (which is only for four months or less mind you) is on top of the monthly charge, yes. But keep in mind you're under no obligation to keep your original plan, especially if you went onto a no-term plan. You could technically switch to a less expensive plan and then add the $7.00 on top.

But again this is kind of a moot point because if you're leaving for six months you'd have to change it to the $16.00/month seasonal plan if you won't be using it. 

While RLH is a good feature, I personally wouldn't recommend it for an extended stay. It's mainly meant for someone going for a short vacation for like a month or someone taking a quick visit across the border and back. It can get very expensive, as you said, if you're going to be gone for several months. Keep in mind though this is my personal opinion on the matter.

I'm a Trusted Contributor

Seriously ??? The suspension fee is in ADDITION to the regular monthly charge ?? 

So you continue to pay the bill and use no services and it costs you an extra fee? 

Holleee  cow!!!

Rogers Employee

Gah, wait a minute, wait a minute, wait a minute. I'm so sorry. I've been doing extra hours this week and my brain is a bit muddled. Why did I even say that?

Sorry the charge for suspension is $7.00/month if it is being done for less then four months. All the other services are discounted down to that price during the suspension.

My bad, completely.

I'm a Trusted Contributor

Ah  ... you're just getting older like some of us ... gotta get used to the mind playing tricks . Smiley LOL

I think you did an excellent job of clarifying that ... the page Rogers Asif  referenced is ambiguous though on that point  . Smiley Surprised