Is this how Rogers' subcontractors package phones?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Is this how Rogers' subcontractors package phones?

After having a less than satisfactory experience with Retentions/Customer Relations, I decide to do a hardware upgrade online on Boxing Day without any Rogers staff interventions. I decided to go with a Samsung Note 9, valued at $1,200 which I will be paying off over the next two years. My package was shipped out this Wednesday January 2 and it arrived yesterday. 

I have been an online purchaser since the late 90s with, inter alia, NCIX in Vancouver (RIP) and Amazon. I expected Rogers subcontractors to package this very expensive phone in a suitable, customary way, The phone box I was expecting would be placed in another box and said box would have bubble wrap or polystyrene chips or something similar. Essentially, I would expect the phone box not to be able to move around within the shipping box.

But no, I am attaching a "re-creation" of what I received. Simply, the phone box was placed in a shipping carton with nothing else, allowing it to move around freely (and violently) within said carton. Phones are not just circuit boards with surface mounted components. I was appalled. Is this what happens when one is essentially part of an oligopoly and can really do what you want without much regard to proper practices?

I sent an email to the Office of the President but I did add (after a previous experience) that they can hold the Boilerplate and bromides.20190103_165813.jpg

*** Added Labels *** 

Re: Is this how Rogers' subcontractors package phones?

Hello @peterg2,

I can totally understand where you are coming from here, purchasing such an expensive device only to have it packaged like this is disappointing, to say the least. =(

I am very confident that you are in good hands with our Office of the President department. They should be able to find a resolution to this matter for you.

Feel free to let the Community know how things go!

RogersTony

I Plan to Stick Around

Thank you very much for your reply. As regards the "Office of the President" I have found with my very recent exchange to be an exercise of sycophancy. All the right phrases, unfortunately out of a 1980s Tom Peters' book.

I Plan to Stick Around

I really want to add a bit here. As regards myself. I have been building all my own business and personal desktops since 1999. Lian Li cases, Noctua fans, Seasonic PSUs etc. I love beautiful hardware. What concerns me is that due to this sloppiness in shipping, parts of my phone may have been compromised. Not all is surface mounted components not affected by shaking.

What should I do? I can return this phone (although no evidence of damage) and get from a store. I am, essentially, mad that Rogers and their subcontractor could not care less when it came to shipping my purchase.
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @peterg2

I'm sorry this happened to you. However you sound like your situation is making your life hard or making this into a huge problem when it's a a simple It's a mistake that can be fixed. There is no " subcontractor". The phones get shipped from Rogers warehouse which. It's a human error which happens unfortunately.

This happens from time to time and if you realized, you got the phone a couple days after the holiday. They have been rushing to send out all the devices / packages many have ordered. Some stuff I order from Amazon Walmart and other places that do this from time to time..

I just contact customer service and it's done.. I work in customer service and truthfully mistakes do happen. No need to blown it out of porpoision though.

They will allow you to send it back as u have 15 days to return it and once they receive it and put it into the system and bring ur account back to state it was before the upgrade, u can go to the store and get one. However the pricing / stock may change.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

that is unfortunate how you received the phone but as Meowmix stated, its human error which is a part of life.

What are you looking for as a solution? to replace the phone you received with another one with proper packaging? or are you simply looking to lodge a complaint about the way the phone was packaged?

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @Pauly

Sounds to me like they want to Let Rogers know about this because it happened but also seems like they want to punish the person / Make a stink out of it.. They don't realize that sometimes human errors happen. I'm sure they have made mistakes before as well.

I get where the OP is coming from but at the same time I don't think they realize a few things. A) The phone is fine.. There is nothing wrong with it. They just make it seem like something internally is wrong ( which i doubt they even can see this unless ey open the phone up and most phones internal parts and what not are soldiered down and tightened). I worked at Best Buy and the most expensive Tvs and fridges sometimes came with no foam inside and sometimes outside. However nothing was wrong with them.. It's scary but at the same time human error.

B)If they really want, send the phone back and wait until the account is cleared up. Then do the upgrade in store. The OP can't return the phone in store when it was shipped out from the warehouse to the customer ( this is for the OP as i know u know!)

C) Human error happens daily in life. To make a stink about this isn't right as they don't realize the workers at the warehouse also work 8-10hrs a day going through so many packages due to the holidays. It happens. I also dislike when Poeple compare their jobs to others like they think that they know more / are any better..
I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks for the reply Pauly. As regards your reply Meowmix, I never said that the phone was internally damaged. I am 99% sure there is no internal damage. I too have made mistakes. However, having had my own business for 27 years I have paid for my mistakes. I was simply frustrated that this happened. Is that clear enough? Please excuse my harsh tone and if English is your second language I do apologize. 

I was asking myself questions "What if there were ....". And so on. In any event, this is clearly counterproductive and I am bowing out of this now. 

Postscript: The shipper was SCI Logistics and the carrier Purolator.  Read up on SCI Logistics.

Hey Community!

Thanks to all of you for sharing your opinions and thoughts regarding this matter! In keeping in the spirit of the Rogers Community Forums, let's try to refrain from any comments that may come across in a negatively impacting way. We'd love to keep this conversation going in a friendly and informative manner! 😉

Thanks so much!

RogersLaura

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @peterg2

English is my first language as i was born here and very much know alot of English. That has nothing to do with this anyways... You however failed to say that it was shipped out by "SCI Logistics ". You only said" subcontractor ". We have had many users at times thinking that Rogers warehouse is a subcontractor company when it's not and they find out only when we tell them. So we both miscommunicated there.

As me and Pauly said. You have the option to mail it back to Rogers and wait until the account is reverted back to how it was before the upgrade was done. Then you can go into any Rogers store and pick up the phone in store at ur wish. Do remember that pricing does change at times so I would also look around and see of Best Buy, Walmart or anyone that is authorized to sell Rogers wireless services and plans can give you a cheaper upgrade price on the phone.

Take care and hope this resolves everything.