Is Rogers violating Canadian Anti-Spam Laws?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Is Rogers violating Canadian Anti-Spam Laws?

So I'm having a hard time understanding the mindset of Rogers in regards to sending me unsolicited text messages.

Do Canadian Anti-Spam laws actually cover text communications and is Rogers' adhering to them by ignoring my request to not be contacted except in extenuating circumstances?

I ask because I have unsubscribed from every bit of Rogers mail, email and phone communciations yet they still seem to feel it's ok to text me a message that I have extended coverage now. Guess what? I don't care Rogers, nor do I want to hear from you for any reason unless of course I missed or am late with a payment, then I expect to be prompted and I can understand how that sort of message would supercede any Anti-Spam Law.

FYI If you call to complain or ask to be removed from all mailings and marketing calls and communications, they just send you right back to the settings under your account and can't/won't address this on your behalf and they certainly seem to play pretty fast and loose with following their own settings.

I'd love to hear the viewpoint from a Rogers rep with enough authority to have an informed opinion on this and that will not trot out the same spiel that they honor my settings requests, when they obvioously don't, that I've gotten when calling to complain about this same issue in the past.

***Edited Labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.
Retired Moderator RogersMichaelB
Retired Moderator

Re: Is Rogers violating Canadian Anti-Spam Laws?

Hi @jhutt welcome to the forums.

Thanks for posting. In this situation I can totally see where you’re coming from. There are a few options a customer can choose from when opting out of notifications.

1 The National Do Not Call list is a government regulated nationwide registry that allows consumers to reduce the number of unsolicited telemarketing calls they receive from companies with whom they have no existing business relationship

2 Our internal Do Not Call list is a different list from the National DNCL. It is maintained internally for consumers who do not wish contact from us. Customers can manage their marketing permissions through their MyAccount profile on rogers.com. We can register a customer to the Internal DNCL if the customer specifically requests it

After subscribing to the above list you may still receive the following communication;

• Customer Service and Technician calls
  • Collections calls and credit follow-up
  • Welcome calls (new service)
  • Renewal calls (service/agreement is expiring)
  • Promotion ending calls
  • High risk customer calls

To opt out of all communication from Rogers we have a full DNCL procedure. After completing this procedure you may still continue to receive:

• Service impacting and renewal messages about services/offers that are expiring. 
  • Automated/triggered messages.

We can register a customer to the Internal DNCL if the customer specifically requests it.

The notification you received falls under the categories of automated and trigger messages. The extended coverage notification is triggered when you enter an extended coverage area.

Extended Coverage allows our customers access to our roaming partners’ networks for talk, text and data services across Canada outside of the Rogers/Fido network coverage area.

Hope this helps!

I've Been Here Awhile

I guess I'll be marking your reply as "Accept as Solution", but in my mind this still isn't really acceptable.

Quote: "We can register a customer to the Internal DNCL if the customer specifically requests it."

Feel free to pass along the instructions on how to get onto your "almost no spam list" and maybe someday Rogers can stop spamming me entirely so I can know if my phone goes off with a text message that is something that I actually needed or even wanted to read.

Retired Moderator RogersMichaelB
Retired Moderator

Hi @jhutt Thanks for the follow up.

Your feedback is a very good one. I’m sure this discussion will educate customers who may have wondered but weren’t totally sure of the differences between the options available. I am going to have someone reach out to you via PM to assist in the internal DNCL.

Once again we thank you for your post. I am happy I could provide some clarity and insight. Robot Happy