Installation Fee?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm Here A Lot

Installation Fee?

Do you always have to pay $150 installation for new cable service, even in a retirement home where everyone gets Rogers?

***Edited Labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.
Retired Moderator RogersCilio
Retired Moderator

Re: Installation Fee?

Hello @leepetmar,

Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums :).

Glad to hear your getting cable services with us Robot Happy. Typically the installation fee is used to pay the technician to visit your home or in this case, retirement home and make sure everything is set up and working properly. Your technician can also help you to make the most of your products and services.

However, the installation fee is usually $49.99. Can you clarify if this $150 is a typo? If not, can you please elaborate on the pending installation fee, in terms of which services are being installed?

Cheers,

RogersCilio

I'm Here A Lot

I was here in your wesite:

http://www.rogers.com/consumer/tv/compare-packages#/compare

I clicked on + See Full Details

The text of the pop-up box was:

I'm Here A Lot

Cilio, while you are thinking about/replying to my previous post, I wanted to mention that I'm hoping I can just pick up the Nextbox and connect it myself, and authorize it, and set it up. I have done this for other people in my apartment building. This is for my sister in law who is moving into the Retirement Residence from out of town.

Retired Moderator

Hey @leepetmar,

Thanks for your prompt response. You can most definitely pick up the equipment and connect it yourself, avoiding any installation fees. There shouldn't be any hiccups, but if for whatever reason you run into any problems, please reach out to us @CommunityHelps and we'll be happy to authorize the boxes for you.

In case you're not familiar with our private messager, check out our blog.

Cheers,

RogersCilio

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

When my father moved into an assisted living home last year, I encountered a few things that you may wish to be aware of.  I'm not sure if you'll see something similar, but I had to call Rogers several times to get things ironed out.

1. He purchased his SA8300HD when he lived in his apartment previously and we took it to the assisted living home.

2. Rogers was going to charge us several $ per month for this, even though it was replacing a set top box that everyone at assisted living had.  I had to argue to get this charge removed and was told that it would be. Unfortunately the first bill contained the "digital services fee" (I think it was around $3/mo), despite the fact that his connection was no different from anyone else in the building and he wasn't even using the box that was usually supplied. I tried asking for a credit for using our box instead of theirs, but that got nowhere.  I finally negotiated a fee credit for several months, but he is paying it now and we just don't think it's worth fighting over a few $ per month - not worth my time.  I guess Rogers counts on that for many of their customers.

3. If you want channels over and above what's available in the building, you will need to pay for that and don't expect any discounts like some of us manage to negotiate.  It may not even be possible/practical because these facilities have almost no flexibility.

4. Edit - In addition, whenever I've done a "self install" or no technician has visited, I've managed to get the "installation fee" waived.

I'm Here A Lot

Thanks for the feedback from Cilio, and "I'm an advisor". I will proceed with the self-service installation approach, and see how that works out for me. I think it should be OK.

I will post a comment on this thread when I'm done.

Cilio -- what is that $150 service charge pop-up notice all about, if your usual fee is $49.95? If you checked into it, you would see that the $150 came directly from Rogers website. It was not a typo on my part.

Retired Moderator

Hey @leepetmar,

Sorry it took me a bit to get back to you, but I was able to confirm that it was a discrepancy on our site. It's since been updated to reflect the correct installation fee of $49.99.

Thanks a bunch for bringing this to our attention and for your patience. Much appreciated Smiley Wink!

Cheers,

RogersCilio

I'm a Senior Advisor

You can also note that on the site under details for TV, it says, "may" have to pay an installation fee of 49.99. so it is not a given that it must occur.  

In particular on live cables with a self install I have never paid a fee.

Bruce

I'm Here A Lot

Thanks to BS for his comment about self-install. As far as I know this is a "live" cable install as Rogers is the only service in the building. I intend to try the self-install and save my sister in law $50.