I can't remember my EXACT security-question response

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Here Awhile

I can't remember my EXACT security-question response

I don't normally use the webmail feature anyways, as I have Thunderbird set as my client on my desktop to download, except sometimes things go into the rogers.yahoo SPAM folder by accident , and I can't download that folder content to filter it myself offline, so I need to access my webmail now and then...

For eons, I have used the same password for it, and have had my browser Remember my user/password combo for the login page for email and all has been fine, but a couple weeks ago, it rejected my password attempt and I thought perhaps there was a problem with the page.  I have tried repeatedly in the past couple weeks to login with 'different' passwords as I might have used, except none work, nor do I know what it should want.   My client works fine, downloading and sending emails, it is just zero access to the rogers.yahoo.com webmail.

So I tried the 'forgot password' feature, and faced my security question, but sadly, I do not remember the EXACT choice of answer I provided eons ago for that question.  This is a flaw with "type the answer" security question inputs in this case.

NOT MY ACTUAL QUESTION AND ANSWER DATA BUT THIS IS AN EXAMPLE OF WHAT MY SECURITY QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS ARE LIKE:

Question:  Where did you meet your spouse?

Background: I met her as my assigned partner for an undergraduate microbiology laboratory section for a class we both took at the university of western ontario, course 1002B

Thus, in setting up my security answer, I could have provided any of the following:

London, Western, UWestern, UWOLondon, microbiology, microbiologylab, microbiology_lab, micro_lab, uwo_microbiology, lab1002B, 1002BLab, UWOlab, UWO1002B, university, WesternU, laboratory, micro1002B, 1002Buwo, western1002B, etc,etc etc.

You get the idea, and I don't even know if the answer is case-sensitive or not, if it is, that adds a thousand more variations of a handful of possible choices.  And I have tried many many variations - maybe even with the passage of time, many many many years since setting the security code, my brain is fuzzy and the course number that was etched in stone so clearly has weathered away and it should be 1202B instead if the actual number is in my head.

SO IS THERE ANY POSSIBLE RECOURSE FOR ME?  There is no link to reset the password available, the forgot-password security answers must be provided first and the me from long ago has done a good job at making the me of now hit a wall on this answer wording.  Is there some other way that my rogers.yahoo.com webmail login can be forced reset ?

***Edited Labels***

Re: I can't remember my EXACT security-question response

Hey @boomod!

I have definitely been there! Creating an answer to a security question that in the moment makes sense only to later realize it could be one of a million things. The good news is that you can reach out to internet technical support and they'll be able to help! You can reach them via phone or live chat (rogers.com/contactus) or reach out to us @Cormer Helps. For more information on our private messaging system you can check out our Blog.

@RogersAndy

I've Been Here Awhile

Thanks -- I'm updating this in case other people have similar issues later.

I contacted the live help, but, after a fair bit of trial and error and trying to mess around, they were unable to help and forwarded my request directly to the technical support -- so save some time and request to be directly linked to technical support if you connect on live chat Smiley Happy

The technician managed to see the errors being generated,seems that two things that should have been tied together may have become broken apart (ie, I was successfully logged into rogers.yahoo.com landing page, but clicking the mail icon gave me a request to input the user/password which, using the same settings as the landing page, had failed, and was the sticking point for the security question..)

In order to reset my password, I _still_ had to answer the security question for him in chat, but I assume he could see the answer to compare my response to, because I prattled off the possible-keyword-rich sentences explaining the city,school, course, coursenumber, and lab as the answer and he was able to confirm the _information_ matched the security prompt, followed by the secondary security prompt for birthdate.

I could login to the rogers.yahoo.com page just fine with the new, temporary issued password, and it IMMEDIATELY opened the webmail display when I clicked the icon (no more prompting again).  He instructed me to NOT use the account-settings/etc links in either the mail.yahoo.com or  rogers.yahoo.com  menu-items displayed, but instead to go directly to  rogersmembercenter.com instead, and to edit the account password there.

After doing that, my email client ceased working - login failure connecting to imap server - during the download test, and I was instructed to go the the member-center page again to generate an APPLICATION PASSWORD, and then provide the generated pwd to my client when it prompted login failure and requested an alternate password.

Then a sendmail from client test, and again, failed on login this time to smtp server, but provided the same generated password to the client, and it worked fine.

Now to disable spam filtering so I can apply my own or make spam folder downloadable... that will be another forum post Smiley Happy

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@boomod wrote:

Now to disable spam filtering so I can apply my own or make spam folder downloadable... that will be another forum post Smiley Happy

You've already participated in the following Spam Filtering Thread from a couple of years ago.

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Internet/Turn-off-spam-filtering/td-p/391343

Although there appear to be "workarounds", there is no easy way to turn off spam filtering that I know of. I use Webmail about once a week to check for spam, as mentioned in that thread...