How Rogers handles spam texts

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm a Senior Advisor

How Rogers handles spam texts

In the last couple of days I've received a spate of spam texts when I turned my phone on. Four yesterday from +12262683167 and two today from +16042171373.

spam01.jpgspam02.jpg

Since I have a PayGo phone, spam calls and texts deplete my balance unnecessarily and often Rogers does not appear to charge me for them. Trying to correlate these texts with my Call History, since I've received no other texts in the last week, this is all I see, there are only two charges and neither one corresponds exactly with the date/time of the actual texts, unless there are time zone differences involved.  Now, I'm not going to ask for a credit of 60 cents over these two charges, but I do wonder how Rogers monitors and blocks these.

Call History
Date & Time Charge Number Call Description Call Type Usage
  Incoming SMS    
  Incoming SMS

*Edited Labels*

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
Solved! Go to Solution.
I'm a Senior Advisor

Re: How Rogers handles spam texts

There once was a number for texting to with the word Spam and the phone number and it would remove the charge, but don't know if that is still available or not. I still have it in my phone contacts from when I was not on unlimited text.

send a message to 7726 (SPAM) is the letters that match the numbers, not that a lot of people know what the letter asociation with phones are anymore.

Include the phone number of the sender of the spam, and they will block the number and credit your account.

Don't know if this is still in place or not,it first came out in 2009.  Maybe someone could comment whether this practice is still in place.

Bruce

I'm a Senior Advisor

@BS wrote:

send a message to 7726 (SPAM) is the letters that match the numbers, not that a lot of people know what the letter asociation with phones are anymore.

Bruce

Thanks Bruce, I forwarded one each of those spam texts to 7726 and it worked no charge.

I'm a Senior Advisor

@OLDYELLR Glad to hear that feature is still active - doesn't make a lot of difference to those who are on unlimited, but for those on pay as you go, it can add up. 

I learned of it from a CSR back when I only had 100 texts per month - still don't use that many, or even come close to my plan limit of local calls and long distance has never been an issue to justify the add on when you consider my long distance in a year.  Maybe I should go to Pay as you Go someday.

Bruce

I'm a Senior Advisor

Presently there is a problem and I can't access my PayGo history to see if I've been charged for any more incoming spam texts. I got 6 and was charged for just 2. However, I suspect the 7726 number for reporting them is more for Rogers' database for blocking them. But I have in the past not been charged for a lot of these texts I've received and they haven't shown up on my history.

I'm a Senior Advisor

@OLDYELLR  I found the original information in a google search and it was reported as a feature in 2009. Sorry, I forgot to post the link.  In it, the post indicated that it also credited the cost for the spam text.

2009 is a long time ago, so things may have changed over time.

Keep us up to date once your find out whether you got billed or not.

Bruce

I'm a Senior Advisor

@BS so far no more charges and I don't expect any. I too found that 2009 Rogers page by Googling "7726". It seems that number works for all wireless carriers. Rogers has been pretty good at not charging for these volleys of spam texts and when I've mentioned it here I was told they could remove any charges they missed.

I'm a Senior Advisor

Getting credit for spam texts.

Recently I've been getting a spate of spam and scam texts. I was billed for the last one 3 times at $0.30 a crack. What's up with that?  I always forward them to SPAM in hopes the source would be flagged and blacklisted but I'm still out the cost, which is eroding my PayGo balance.  I know these are just a nuisance for people with high priced accounts, but they add insult to injury for those of us with a basic prepaid account. Is there a simple way to report these and get a refund, other than calling 1-800-575-9090 and spending a long time trying to get $0.030 back?  If not, that's a portal Rogers needs to add.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@OLDYELLR : You and I are probably amongst only a few PAYGo customers left on the grandfathered (Anytime) plan, which means we pay for texts.

I recently did some research and Prepaid customers account for only about 10% (perhaps less now) of wireless customers in Canada, with people like us who pay for texts being a very small percentage of that, since most plans now "include" texting.

What I'm trying to say is that I'd rather "eat" the occasional dollar rather than having Rogers spend money to design software/web portals, etc. to keep track of this minor inconvenience. It's just not worth it and may end up costing us more than if we just ate the occasional dollar...

I usually have a reason to call in to my PAYGo  CSRs once or twice a year and at that time, if I've had any recent spam/etc, I ask for a credit - which they always give.  As you say, I'm not going to spend special time/effort to get back the occasional dollar and I don't think it's worthwhile asking Rogers to spend time/effort/money to do that either.

I'm a Senior Advisor

Good point. I'll be calling to renew my plan next month using part of my balance and will give them a list of spam texts I've received in the past year.