How Can an Email Get Hacked?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

How Can an Email Get Hacked?

Hi Folks,

Anyone had this? My rogers email account was hacked and they were able to insert their email address so that all my email was forwarded to them as well. They sent a note to all of my contacts 300+ asking for assistance, anyone unlucky enough to get caught in their web was asked to go buy gift cards and send the hacker the serial number. They also tried to change the password on an online account. My big question that may never get answered is how did they actually get my email password 😞

I think Rogers is going to step up security for this somehow 😞

Thanks and if anyone has any info on how this could possibly happen - appreciated.

*** Edited Title/Labels ***

I'm Here A Lot

Re: How Can an Email Get Hacked?

Meant to say I think Roger is going to need to step up their security for this. I am pretty sure I did not click any links or anything suspicious I am usually very careful and computer experienced. Maybe time as well for 2 step verification and filter management to control email forwarding etc. Big issue for me is how they actually got into the account.

Highlighted

Hello, @Rob16

Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums!

I can't even imagine how stressful it must have been to discover that your email address was hacked. =(

I can appreciate your desire for closure on how this could have happened. Hackers have become quite sophisticated these days and it can be difficult to determine how your Email address was compromised. Here are a few helpful tips to ensure that your accounts are protected: 

1. Use a very complicated password with a variety of letters, numbers, symbols and capital letters.
  2. It's also important to change your passwords often, at least once a month is recommended.
  3. Do not use the same password for multiple services.

Diligence regarding passwords is paramount to ensure you are protected in the future.

I hope this helps!

RogersTony

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

I worry that it may be easier to say that hackers have become more sophisticated than it is to tighten the email security and protocols 😞 for example the control of forwarding addresses / suspicious activity filters / 2 step pw verification / warnings about pw strength etc. 

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Unfortunately 90% or so of the 'hacked' accounts you see in anything.. are rarely hacked on the server side.
Its possible.. has happened in the past (like the PSN being hacked like 3 times in a row).
But generally is more on the user side.

Not blaming the users, but sometimes they dont even realize it.

- Malware.  Malicious software installed on the computer.  May not see anything but can do stuff like keyloging usernames and passwords entered.

- Re using usernames and passwords.  Using the same username/password combination on another site.  While site X may be safe from being hacked, site Y may not.   They can get the combination from the other site.. then try and use it on other sites ,etc.

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

@Rob16  Getting "hacked", or having usernames and passwords stolen and used in extortion attempts is quite common these days.  I periodically get emails from "me" saying he has hacked my account and wants me to pay him bitcoin.  After investigating this stuff I just ignore them. This sort of breached personal data is available to hackers all over the web.  A lot of it comes from data breaches of defunct sites like MySpace.  You can check if you have an account that has been compromised in a data breach by going here

You may be shocked. 

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
Highlighted
I've Been Around

Received an email that my account was hacked and they know my Rogers password. They typed it! How does this happen?

Highlighted

Hello, @Skynyrd.

Thank you for posting your concern and welcome to Rogers Community Forums! 

Undoubtedly, it can be frightening to learn that your email has hacked. We have discussed in this thread possible ways how the email accounts can be compromised and suggestions about protecting the accounts. 

Have you secured the email account and change the password yet? We can help, please don't hesitate to send us a private message at @CommunityHelps. You can find details about our private messaging in this blog.

Regards,

RogersMoin 

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Hi Skynyrd,

If you have any kind of online account with anyone else which was affected by a data breach, then chances are they have some pieces of information about you such as your email address, user name, password.

If your rogers email account was not part of the data breach, then chances are you have the same username / password for a different account which may have been breached. As RogersMoin explained, please change your passwords as soon as possible to prevent any further loss of data.

There is this really good web site called Have I Been Owned, which is incorrectly misspelled as HaveIBeenPwned.com you can look up your email address and see if it has been affected by any majour data breach and follow the recommendations.

Good Luck