Hoping for a Positive Result After Years of Rogers' Errors, Overcharges, and Contract Violations

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Reply
Nik991
I've Been Around
Posts: 1

Hoping for a Positive Result After Years of Rogers' Errors, Overcharges, and Contract Violations

My experience with rogers makes me certain of only one thing: in an environment of proper market competition, this company would have no chance to survive.

Rogers was the first company I chose to buy a cellphone with. I was happy for a while. Happy at least for as long as nothing broke. After all, I'm sure many users would attest that as long as nothing breaks, rogers is a fine company (as far as such a thing exists in the Canadian mobile market place). The problems only begin to reveal themselves after something- no matter how small breaks.

After years of being a rogers customer and having no reason to change, I'd decided to take advantage of a new years deal. HUGE mistake. The store manager where I decided to make this purchase in Calgary was extending his store's deal that included increased data for a lower price (I would wind up having problems with both of these due to errors/contractual violations on rogers' part). It starts small, and the amount of money I would lose due to Rogers' unacceptable behavior would be as well. But as we all know, such things add up. If I added interest as Rogers does, I wouldn't be surprised to be owed an excess of a thousand dollars at this time.

After taking 'advantage' (heh) of the news years deal, which included more data for a lower overall price, it turns out Rogers had (for whatever reason) neglected to actually add this data to my account. At the time, I was a delivery driver who relied directly on (and was obligated to by work to) maintain a contract with a minimum amount of data.

En route, I would receive through my phone delivery instructions (go here, receive package, deliver it there). What can you imagine happened when Rogers didn't fulfill their contractual obligations and provided me a third of the data I had signed on to receive? I'm sure it's obvious, that job was lost.

Now I'd expect some readers would think 'why not just have them fix it'?

I did, and this is where the problems began. For some insane reason (and also one of the reasons for which I am certain beyond any doubt Rogers would never survive a truly competitive free marketplace) Rogers finds it acceptable to force their customers to wait months for them to perform an "escalation" that apparently can only be handled by a small team in Ontario. All this despite the problem and it's solution being easily identifiable by in-store employees. Surely if I explained the situation to my employer, they'd be somewhat understanding but I doubt anyone would be surprised that they wouldn't wait for me to return to operable status for entire months.

I wish I could say the story was anywhere remotely close to being done.

I fully doubt Rogers' capability to fix anything without breaking something else.

After finally adding the data I was contractually obligated to receive (and receiving pretty much nothing to replace lost data or anything that resulted due to the obvious cop-out sham of a reason 'we have no way to value that data' as a response from a company that literally values exactly those chunks of data at a very specific price in numerous other places available themselves for sale) they charged me for it.

That's right. I was promised X units of data for Y price. They gave me less data for months. Took months to rectify the mistake and then charged me MORE than the contractually written price of Y for the data I had been supposed to receive for those lost months. (Note, in between during the latest periods of me waiting for this fix I was able to receive a single "top up" of data that didn't even reach the amount of data I had lost for "free" according to the person on the line. I found out later, I had been charged for this "free" data.

 

I didn't notice the excess charges for a few months (I write this a few years of Rogers' egregious mistakes and bureaucratic suffocation later so I'm a little fuzzy on the details- particularly how many months. One of the things I do remember is being told many times through the 30+ phone calls I would have to make to rectify Rogers' own errors that I was the one making the mistake. Upon trying to request a copy of my own contract at a later date, they tried to charge me for it despite it being the easiest avenue of proof. Eventually, I was required to make spreadsheets to prove financial errors on Rogers' end. At no point until it was proven beyond the operator's doubt in any of the phone calls was I told 'I can't do anything for you, you need to go into the store'. In some of the earlier phone calls where I was refused at every turn, they never even bothered to make me aware that should I prove it to them beyond any doubt, they would still refuse to assist and require me to go to the store where the initial purchase was made.

The next many months I don't remember in detail. I had to correct overage fees that resulted from Rogers refusing me the contractually promised data. I had to correct late fees resulting from said overage fees. I had to correct other nonsensical charges that resulted from other contract violations but thankfully they weren't quite as egregious.

Throughout it all, I had come to promise to myself I would never purchase anything from this company again.

 

Eventually, frustrations peaked and I decided to register with another company. (I won't name them here as I'm not trying to promote anyone else but I will mention it's not hard to find a better deal than what Rogers offers in the regular season.) I neglected to communicate this to Rogers. At that time, my options appeared to be fight with rogers to be released from contract (as I rightfully should have been) but that meant wading through an inescapable bureaucratic swamp that threatened to cause overages on even my unlimited calling if such a thing could have been possible, simply ignoring them (admittedly an irresponsible action as Rogers' would of course continue to admit no fault and send creditors to collect on the contract in full despite it not being in use), or lawyer up- too costly for somebody like me to consider though in hindsight this may have been the cheapest given mediators side with companies a disproportionate amount of the time and Rogers would abuse its contract to the fullest while feigning a lack of fault for years of errors, overcharges, and contract violations.

 

Choosing the 2nd option to ignore Rogers, I must fully admit fault on my part. This was a mistake. I was frustrated and exhausted from the most disgusting and abusive relations I've personally being involved in with any company during my lifetime. Rogers' inflated the contractual costs, cancelled services, continued to charge for months during which their services were cancelled (charging for providing neither good nor service) as expected of the company I've grown to truly know in the final years. Still, I continued ignoring this morally bankrupt caricature of a mobile business until one day I received a call from National Credit Recovery 1-888-670-6274.

 

I would later come to understand that Rogers' collections sends an account to collections under National Credit Recovery. If they have no success, Rogers proceeds to "escalate" the account by sending it to another company at 1-866-333-0502. Apparently (and by an operator's own admission after speaking to the second agency) information sharing between these three entities is an absolute embarrassment. But of course it is, this is the Rogers I know after all. So how does their lack of information sharing relate to the customers? Here's my personal experience upon receiving that initial call from National Credit Recovery.

 

The agent offered a deal- I would pay 337.75$ and the account would be closed. This was exactly half of the total owing amount. To prove this, I of course have detailed cell phone records including the exact time of day and date that this phone call was made. This perfectly coincides to a payment made (which again, I can prove fully with personal bank records I obviously wouldn't want to post publicly here to the appropriate account). That payment was made on the same date as this call. Clearly, I accepted the deal. Despite years of some of the most unbelievably awful behavior I've experienced from a company, I felt it was more prudent to make the payment and have matters closed. After all, excluding provable damages from job losses resulting from Rogers' refusal to fulfill contract obligations and if I generously disregard the excessive interest-increased overcharges I would still be owed, and then further fool myself into considering it reasonable that after all Rogers has done, they would still be deserving of the months worth of billing they didn't actually provide services for, then this would be close to what I actually would owe them. But really, I just wanted the matter gone.

 

If you've guessed at this point or have simply being paying attention to my story, you would know

 

 

 

***Edited Labels***

 

RogersLaura
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 742

Re: Hoping for a Positive Result After Years of Rogers' Errors, Overcharges, and Contract Violations

We appreciate your post and welcome you to the Rogers community! Thank you for this very detailed account of your experience with us--we'll do our best to get down to the bottom of your concerns. 😊

 

Firstly, we're sorry you had such a poor experience with us and left on such a negative note--this is never our intention. I'd just like to better understand a few things and hopefully, clarify a few things too. Please see below:

 


@Nik991 wrote:

 

After taking 'advantage' (heh) of the news years deal, which included more data for a lower overall price, it turns out Rogers had (for whatever reason) neglected to actually add this data to my account. At the time, I was a delivery driver who relied directly on (and was obligated to by work to) maintain a contract with a minimum amount of data.

 

En route, I would receive through my phone delivery instructions (go here, receive package, deliver it there). What can you imagine happened when Rogers didn't fulfill their contractual obligations and provided me a third of the data I had signed on to receive? I'm sure it's obvious, that job was lost. 


Can you please share with us, how much data was offered and how much you actually received? Also, did you not receive our data usage notifications advising you of how much data you had remaining throughout your billing period? Once alerted, you would have had the opportunity to reach out to us to have more data added temporarily, if required. You can add as many data top-ups as needed. We also send out data top-up options via text message which you can add via self-serve. I understand that you were not in agreement with how much data you were provided with as part of your plan, however, this may have helped prevent any further issues until the matter could be fully resolved.

 


@Nik991 wrote:

Now I'd expect some readers would think 'why not just have them fix it'?

I did, and this is where the problems began. For some insane reason (and also one of the reasons for which I am certain beyond any doubt Rogers would never survive a truly competitive free marketplace) Rogers finds it acceptable to force their customers to wait months for them to perform an "escalation" that apparently can only be handled by a small team in Ontario. All this despite the problem and it's solution being easily identifiable by in-store employees. Surely if I explained the situation to my employer, they'd be somewhat understanding but I doubt anyone would be surprised that they wouldn't wait for me to return to operable status for entire months.

I wish I could say the story was anywhere remotely close to being done.

I fully doubt Rogers' capability to fix anything without breaking something else.

After finally adding the data I was contractually obligated to receive (and receiving pretty much nothing to replace lost data or anything that resulted due to the obvious cop-out sham of a reason 'we have no way to value that data' as a response from a company that literally values exactly those chunks of data at a very specific price in numerous other places available themselves for sale) they charged me for it.

That's right. I was promised X units of data for Y price. They gave me less data for months. Took months to rectify the mistake and then charged me MORE than the contractually written price of Y for the data I had been supposed to receive for those lost months. (Note, in between during the latest periods of me waiting for this fix I was able to receive a single "top up" of data that didn't even reach the amount of data I had lost for "free" according to the person on the line. I found out later, I had been charged for this "free" data.

 

I didn't notice the excess charges for a few months (I write this a few years of Rogers' egregious mistakes and bureaucratic suffocation later so I'm a little fuzzy on the details- particularly how many months. One of the things I do remember is being told many times through the 30+ phone calls I would have to make to rectify Rogers' own errors that I was the one making the mistake. Upon trying to request a copy of my own contract at a later date, they tried to charge me for it despite it being the easiest avenue of proof. Eventually, I was required to make spreadsheets to prove financial errors on Rogers' end. At no point until it was proven beyond the operator's doubt in any of the phone calls was I told 'I can't do anything for you, you need to go into the store'. In some of the earlier phone calls where I was refused at every turn, they never even bothered to make me aware that should I prove it to them beyond any doubt, they would still refuse to assist and require me to go to the store where the initial purchase was made.

The next many months I don't remember in detail. I had to correct overage fees that resulted from Rogers refusing me the contractually promised data. I had to correct late fees resulting from said overage fees. I had to correct other nonsensical charges that resulted from other contract violations but thankfully they weren't quite as egregious.

Throughout it all, I had come to promise to myself I would never purchase anything from this company again.

 


I understand that you contacted us about your data and billing issues and it is typical of Rogers to ask you to first return back to the original point of sale to have it ironed out. This is because the offers provided in-store may be different than what is offered via other avenues (phone, Live Chat, Social Media, etc.). This can be especially true if it was done through a third party location, for example. After going back to the original location, what did they say? Also, were you not provided with some paperwork outlining the data offering at the time of agreement? Sometimes, they provide a paper copy, but I know lately, they have been sending an electronic copy to customers via email. It's important that you review all of the specifics before signing off on anything--do you have the original paperwork and did it show the correct amount of data that was originally offered in-store?

 

I also want to mention that if our frontline agents are unable to rectify a matter right away, you do have the option to request a call back from a manager and this should happen within 72 business hours of making the request. We also have our 'Share a Concern' page on our contact us section on Rogers.com where you can request to be contacted within 72 business hours. I guess I'm just not quite understanding why it took "months" for something like this to be addressed/resolved? That's not how we typically operate. 😟

 


@Nik991 wrote:

Eventually, frustrations peaked and I decided to register with another company. (I won't name them here as I'm not trying to promote anyone else but I will mention it's not hard to find a better deal than what Rogers offers in the regular season.) I neglected to communicate this to Rogers. At that time, my options appeared to be fight with rogers to be released from contract (as I rightfully should have been) but that meant wading through an inescapable bureaucratic swamp that threatened to cause overages on even my unlimited calling if such a thing could have been possible, simply ignoring them (admittedly an irresponsible action as Rogers' would of course continue to admit no fault and send creditors to collect on the contract in full despite it not being in use), or lawyer up- too costly for somebody like me to consider though in hindsight this may have been the cheapest given mediators side with companies a disproportionate amount of the time and Rogers would abuse its contract to the fullest while feigning a lack of fault for years of errors, overcharges, and contract violations.

 

Choosing the 2nd option to ignore Rogers, I must fully admit fault on my part. This was a mistake. I was frustrated and exhausted from the most disgusting and abusive relations I've personally being involved in with any company during my lifetime. Rogers' inflated the contractual costs, cancelled services, continued to charge for months during which their services were cancelled (charging for providing neither good nor service) as expected of the company I've grown to truly know in the final years. Still, I continued ignoring this morally bankrupt caricature of a mobile business until one day I received a call from National Credit Recovery 1-888-670-6274.

 


If you decide to cancel your services and take your business elsewhere, you are still responsible to pay for any monthly service fees, usage, third party charges, etc., up until the date you officially cancel. If you are still owing a FLEXtab (subsidy) amount towards your device, this also gets charged out to you in full on your final invoice. You mentioned that we continued to bill you after you cancelled...that should definitely not have been the case. How did you cancel? Did you port out your number to the new provider or did you contact us and put in the verbal request to cancel for xx date? Once a line is cancelled, no further price plan fees should apply. 

 

If a bill is not paid, we will do our very best to reach out to you to see if we can help with payment arrangements. If after a certain period of time we still do not receive payment in full or if the payment arrangements are continuously broken, the account will eventually go to collections at which point it is the third party collection agency's responsibility to collect the remaining funds. At that point, the account is no longer with Rogers.

 


@Nik991 wrote:

I would later come to understand that Rogers' collections sends an account to collections under National Credit Recovery. If they have no success, Rogers proceeds to "escalate" the account by sending it to another company at 1-866-333-0502. Apparently (and by an operator's own admission after speaking to the second agency) information sharing between these three entities is an absolute embarrassment. But of course it is, this is the Rogers I know after all. So how does their lack of information sharing relate to the customers? Here's my personal experience upon receiving that initial call from National Credit Recovery.

 

The agent offered a deal- I would pay 337.75$ and the account would be closed. This was exactly half of the total owing amount. To prove this, I of course have detailed cell phone records including the exact time of day and date that this phone call was made. This perfectly coincides to a payment made (which again, I can prove fully with personal bank records I obviously wouldn't want to post publicly here to the appropriate account). That payment was made on the same date as this call. Clearly, I accepted the deal. Despite years of some of the most unbelievably awful behavior I've experienced from a company, I felt it was more prudent to make the payment and have matters closed. After all, excluding provable damages from job losses resulting from Rogers' refusal to fulfill contract obligations and if I generously disregard the excessive interest-increased overcharges I would still be owed, and then further fool myself into considering it reasonable that after all Rogers has done, they would still be deserving of the months worth of billing they didn't actually provide services for, then this would be close to what I actually would owe them. But really, I just wanted the matter gone.

 

If you've guessed at this point or have simply being paying attention to my story, you would know

 


It sounds like you made a final agreement with the third party collection agency to settle the balance by paying 50% of the total amount owing. I am not totally clear on what further outcome you are hoping for at this point? If you can kindly let us know how we can help, it would be greatly appreciated. 🙂

 

Thank you,

RogersLaura