Gigabit now 30 up instead of 50?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm a Senior Advisor

Re: Gigabit now 30 up instead of 50?

@gp-se  If you look at the bundling of services, and overall changes in feature sets on the Cable side of things, you will see it has all changed again - in response to CRTC decisions of december about making bundling fairly applied on all packages including Starter.  And you will see a change in mix of home phone options and pricing in there too, so they have changed up all home services - see my other post - long as usual.  

There is probably a very careful stastical analysis of our usage and pricing pattern choices of all services, as well as meeting their needs for profit to shareholders (they are a business afterall) as well as limitations that are appearing to be clearly obvious in their ability to provide stable internet when they get into the higher speed levels.

But I do agree, this is a strange mixup of things, and only time will tell if this works for them as a business, and whether customers will buy it, or just jump.

Uggh.  I just want to enjoy my services, and have some predictability in what I will get and pay in the future.  I am retired and although I do think a lot on this stuff and right a lot about it here on the forums, I would much rather read a good book, watch a good movie and use my Internet and phones. I am retired, I don't get paid for thinking this deeply anymore.  Smiley Surprised

Bruce

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

One thing to look at when comparing to other places as well (like bell).

The 100/100 package you see there, is bell DIRECT fiber to the house.

Direct fiber, is about the only way that you would get full synchronous speeds like that.

Currently, pretty much all the rogers plans are via CABLE, which does have limitations as mentioned above.
(rogers DID have a direct fiber at one point i think too?)

Bell direct fiber is in a VERY limited coverage area.. mostly just Toronto and a few other major urban centers.. and even then , not 100% coverage.  Its VERY costly to roll out.

Just because you can get bell where you are, doesnt mean you will be able to get direct fiber unfortunately.
(Heck.. there is a good 1/2 or more of bell coverage area, which cant get FIBE yet, only basic DSL).

I am not saying Rogers is the be all/end all, not to look at competitors.
I fully recomend everyone to completly compare, what is available where they are.

I Plan to Stick Around

Your answer is right here at the bottom...

http://www.rogers.com/small-business/products-and-solutions/business-internet/plans-and-pricing

They decided that they need to charge $50 more for the same service, glad I have a 2 year contract with the gig/50 so they can't lower it without lowering the price. Nice thing is if I want, I can always upgrade to a higher tier should it become available in the future.

I Plan to Stick Around

My Uploads suck since learning of this change! Smiley Mad

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Microsoft® MVP Windows Insider - Windows Security
I Plan to Stick Around

I hope you realize what cogoeco if offering is a straight fibre connection and not Docsis.

Even docsis 3.1 up and down won't allow for 1000/1000.

Maybe when the full duplex version hits and that won't be anytime soon.

This comparison is apples vs oranges.

And its common sense why the upload was reduced the network in its current state cannot give 50mbps up to all the gigabit users.

I Plan to Stick Around

Mine have been unchanged. Just tested from my s7 edge two floors away from my router.
http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/a/2689849282

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Keep in mind I'm in bed and don't feel like going downstairs to do a speed test off my pc. So the download will look off but that's not what we are looking at anyway.

I've Been Here Awhile

Faster upload speed in the near future?

Hello,

I would like to know if Rogers will offer faster upload speed in the near future? Currently, Bell offers 100 Mbps upstream with their 150 Mbps package, and their pricing is competitive with that of Rogers'.

In a related concern, Rogers just decreased the upload speed on their gigabit package from 50 Mbps to 30 Mbps. Why is that?

I like Rogers, but I will need faster upload  speed in the near future.

I've Been Here Awhile

I think their substitute CEO is trying the old tricks to increase revenue.

I've Been Here Awhile

My contract with Rogers expires in July. I wonder if they'll change their offerings by then...