Getting charged for Long Distance on an Unlimited Long Distance Plan?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Getting charged for Long Distance on an Unlimited Long Distance Plan?

I toe the line of going over on my data almost every month, so as my bill cycle nears the end, I frequently check on my data usage to make sure I’m not going over.

I have a plan that includes unlimited Canada-wide calling. I do not call any other numbers other than local numbers, and family members in Alberta. I hardly use my phone to talk, so I never think about minutes used each month. So, imagine my surprise when I see the yellow “extra” bubble on MyRogers account today, saying that I’ve used 169 minutes of long distance. I phoned Rogers to see what the heck was going on, but it wasn’t a very good experience. The rep said that apparently there are “issues” with a cell tower in Newmarket that were causing my calls to be counted as long distance, but she really can’t do anything until my bill comes out in a few days to see whether I’m actually going to be charged or not. I kept asking why this would happen, and she kept saying: “I don’t know.” That is not an acceptable answer to me after being a Rogers customer for 15 years.

I’ve never heard of this issue before with a cell tower, nor have I ever had a mistake like this come up. Very frustrating experience to be told to wait until the bill comes out, and to call back in a few days. I called NOW to avoid a mistake bill being issued. I obviously am worried that I’m going to have to fight with Rogers over this, even though she assured me that it wasn’t my fault.

Can someone explain this to me? Or has this ever happened to anyone? I was about to order Rogers internet at my new condo, and now I’m so mad at Rogers in general that I want to move my cable and cell phone elsewhere.

***Edited Labels***

I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Getting charged for Long Distance on an Unlimited Long Distance Plan?

And now it won't even let me view my usage, saying that a "change was recrntly made to my plan".  I didn't make any changes to my plan during my phone conversation with Rogers.

Retired Moderator RogersPrasana
Retired Moderator

Hi @Kara-Lea

Thank you for your post.

That must bevery frustrating to deal with and I’d like to help by looking into your long distance issue for you.

Since the issue you’ve described involves accessing your account, I’m going to reach out to you via private message from @CommunityHelps team. Please check our messages from the envelope icon in the top right hand side of your screen of the Forums page.

@RogersPrasana

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks.  I will await your reply.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

We are talking quite a number of years ago..  back in the days.. 
I know I had issues.. I live in georgina.. and was picking up the BARIE tower at the time as the stronger tower.. and at that time was before any canada wide, etc.. and the tower was DEFINATELY out of my zone..
But in this case.. even if say a newmarket tower was down.. the next tower it was picking up, should still be in its same 'local' zone...

Even with canada wide calling, i beleive there still is a breakdown of which calls are LD and which are local..
Just generally no CHARGES for them.

I've Been Around

I'm having the same experience. Did this get resolved?

I Plan to Stick Around

Hi ok3.  Yes, I think it was resolved.

What happened according to Rogers was that something was "coded incorrectly" on my plan.  I don't know why it all of a sudden became an issue; I hadn't changed anything on my account in months, but it was mistakenly charging me for long distance despite being on an unlimited voice plan.  

I called Rogers a few times about this and finally had someone a) credit the bill, and b) fix whatever coding was wrong on my account.

Maybe you're on the same loyalty wireless plan as me?  Maybe yours is also "incrrectly coded."  (I keep saying this but I have no idea what this means)