Frustrating Customer Service

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Frustrating Customer Service

I just need to vent...

Earlier today I went and purchased a Netbox 3.0 from a Rogers store.  Apparently the individual who sold us the box didn't add it to our account when we purchased it.  It was paid for directly with a credit card, not through our account.  I come home, hook it up, and call to activate it.  First, the phone number on the box under 'Call to activate' leads to the Rogers Retail Support line so then I call the number that was on the TV screen.  From there I work my way through the menus to get to technical support so that I can get someone to activate the box.  First person tells me that I need customer service because the box isn't showing on our account so I get transferred.  Second person tells me that she sees no record of us paying for the box (we DIDN'T steal it!) so I offer to email her a copy of the receipt which shows the box serial number.  Nope, not possible, and proceeds to tell me that the only way I can resolve this is to go back to the store.  I told her that I was just going to call them and she insisted that I had to GO to the store.  I hang up with her and call the store.  The person who answered the phone can't understand why the customer service person couldn't resolve it over the phone.  He tells me that they are all busy and that the salesperson who sold us the box would call us back.  He did call us back and after a few minutes I was up and running.

I don't understand why it all had to be so complicated.

***Edited Labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.

Re: Frustrating Customer Service

Good afternoon @bullzie,

I understand the frustration generated by this situation and the inconveniences it may have caused you.

Thank you for sharing your experience with the Community!

I'm definitely glad that this was sorted out and that you can enjoy your new digital terminal Smiley Wink

Don't hesitate to let us know if you need help with anything else -

RogersMaude

Rogers Employee lockdown2341
Rogers Employee

I can explain why it ended up being complicated for you.

When a work order is set up to be completed in-store, only the store can work on it. So when you picked up your Nextbox, it had to be registered in the account by the store and they had to close out the order. No other group would have had access to do register the box or close the other.

Rogers Employee ShakTiburon
Rogers Employee

^ @lockdown2341 is correct.
Order generated by any channel can be completed at store, but once the store completes the order. all details are accessible to them only, as it links to their Store Inventory (Hence why you are referred to that store).
Customer service will advise you to "GO" to the store, only to avoid any further hassle in case you call them, and they either 1. Don't pick up because they are busy or 2. They can't find any details for any reason.
Which is to avoid the bad experience.

I am truly sorry that you had a bad experience regardless of protocols set to avoid such experience.
But I am glad you made sure you got everything working. Kudos to you for being vigilant about it. :]
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Wow really? Have things changed recently?

A few years ago, I bought a Standard Definition Set Top Box from a Rogers Authorized Store, as well when we bought a new HDTV, we were offered a Rogers HD receiver for a discounted price. BOTH times I had to call Rogers Cable Customer service, gave them the Serial Number from the Scientific Atlantic Set Top Boxes, and they were successful in adding them both times to my account.

So has things changed where the actual retail store is now calling Rogers to activate the box for you?

I actually had NO PROBLEM calling in myself to activate them, I actually believed this was pretty normal.

Rogers Employee

@Pauly - Adding the box serial number isn't the same process. so to speak.

Process hasn't changed, but Store has their own support group that can do just that.
However the complication starts when the box is "Mia" in system and only store has the inventory details for it.

Store in the end, ends up having the upper hand and resolving the issue, not all activation (yours seemed to be straight forward to be honest) are simple - unfortunately.

Things haven't changed. Activation of boxes and removal of the old box is still same processed. I think its just more heavily pushed on Store to complete the process now. Since it was the standard process I believe for a while.

No one should be calling in to have the boxes changed after they have visited the store. All should be completed there.
It just ended up being complicated for bullzie and that should have never happened. 😐
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Even if the store failed to do it, why can't a call to customer service get it activated using the serial number?

As long as it's not on a stolen list or attached to another account, I don't see why customer service couldn't do it.

I Plan to Stick Around

The previous box we purchased came from Best Buy and it was a simple buy, take home, hookup, call the 800 number, give them the serial number, and box activated.  Very easy and straightforward.

I just got my parents up and running with a HD box from Shaw and it was just a case of logging into their online account and clicking the 'Activate a digital terminal' link and putting in the serial number.  So much easier.  Sidenote - I wish Rogers had boxes like Shaw...I am jealous of how responsive their box is to remote clicks.  I find both the NB 2 & 3 are painfully slow to respond.  The Shaw interface was also much nicer and more colourful.  But alas, I digress.

Rogers Employee

@mfait - as mentioned previously, inventory is the reason why.

It takes additional steps, it can be overriden but I believe there are policies in place to avoid fraud as well.

You CAN call customer service - there isn't an issue there. Hence why different folks have different experience with that route.
It CAN get complicated on case by case situation. Nature of how this works I guess.

Just stating what it is, I believe you knowing this that would be better than giving you falsified answers.

Suggestion steps are to go to store to complete it. Some people don't want to, and that's fine, but don't expect it to be always easy on the phone because the agent on the phone has to validate where the box came from - since if it was from the store - it should be activated at that store. Otherwise it's like someone handing you a merchandiseof any store (in any type of store) and walking out of the store without paying for it... it wasn't tracked and billed accordingly. Depending on the agent on the phone (who obviously wasn't there at the time of transaction at the store), needs to validate where the box is coming from.
For customer's I guess they don't see that. I myself would assume exactly what you have - "It should just be activated with the serial number and done." But if that was the case, more theft and fraud can easily occur. I would think any Company (Not only Rogers) would have a policy to protect their business loss.

Keep in mind, I am not speaking on behalf of rogers but rather discussing the logic behind it.

I can understand the frustration, but I have been in Retail Field, Customer Service Field, Inventory and Loss Prevention for different companies that do different kind of businesses. Policies are there to protect the entity of the company. I learned that mostly from when I worked as Loss Prevention Department for a Retail Electronic Store (Don't think it would be approciate to mention their name so i'll leave that out.)

@bullzie the best buy experience was simple, because like I said, it's case by case. BestBuy Boxes are coded differently. They are not counted as "Rogers owned" and considered "Partner Store" (that's not the actual term used - but giving better reference).

You guys make good points, I just want to share my knowledge to make sense of things if it helps... that's all.

Mind you I have felt frustrated with other companies because I didn't understand their policies either. So I can understand and feel the frustration as well. 😮
I'm Here A Lot

Re: Frustratin​g Customer Service

Once again, I am left floored with the service from Rogers. After 10 years of being loyal to Rogers,, I'm moving to another carrier. Get upgraded to a new phone, new plan, then in a matter of 10 minutes am told I'm not allowed to have the plan and suddenly can't even go back to my original old plan! Not only that, she expresses absolutely no concern when I ask to have my phone cancelled so I can search for alternative carriers. Rogers, some parting words. Your oldest customers are your backbone.