Existing Customer Being Asked for a Lot of Personal Data

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Existing Customer Being Asked for a Lot of Personal Data

Hi All. I am an existing customer who has been speaking to a rep over email about moving my service to my new home but availing of a new deal while I'm at it. He has asked me for the following info to proceed with the deal:

First and Last name

Service address

DOB

Driver License Number

Passport/SIN or Credit Card number with expiry date

Phone number

This seems like an excessive amount of sensitive personal data to be asking for and I don't feel comfortable sharing it. I already have an account so shouldn't the only thing the rep need is the account number?

*Added Labels*

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Existing Customer Being Asked for a Lot of Personal Data

@madunne wrote:

Hi All. I am an existing customer who has been speaking to a rep over email.

You should never share any personal information by e-mail.  e-mail is not secure.  I'm not sure how you started this correspondence, but you should certainly not go any further.

As far as the requested information is concerned, most of it can be requested by Rogers for account information, however, you should never give out your passport information or your SIN to anyone outside of a very select list - see link below:  Not sure about the DL number either, although I have shown it for photo ID sometimes in person.

https://www.canada.ca/en/employment-social-development/programs/sin/protect.html#a2

Hello and welcome to our Community @madunne!

I can completely understand being apprehensive about providing this information. If at any time you're corresponding with us and feel uncomfortable, you can always opt to call in or contact us via an alternate method to confirm the validity of an offer for you.

As @57 mentioned, I am also curious as to how this correspondence began. Did you receive an unsolicited email or did it start with a door to door salesperson? Please let me know. 🙂

Regards,

RogersCorey

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks for responding and sorry for the delay in replying.  I reached out to a salesperson directly after receiving his contact details from a friend who had dealt with him. Turns out he misunderstood my email and thought I was a new customer who would need to provide info for a background check so I didn't need to provide it in the end. 

However, it is still concerning that Rogers would ask potential customers to supply their SIN for the purposes of a credit check. I believe that Rogers are not actually supposed to ask for your SIN and that there are only a select number of groups/organizations/government departments who would be allowed to do this.