Does Rogers sell cell phone numbers to other companies

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Does Rogers sell cell phone numbers to other companies

I can't remember what the fine print was when I signed up for my cell phone but did I give Rogers the right to sell my cell phone number to at least one annoying telemarketer/survery company  that is eating up my Pay as You Go balance even though I never answer the phone since I knew right away it was a US number and I can't contact the annoying company to do not call if that would even work anyway.  I only give out my cell phone number to a very few people, it is supposed to be for emergencies.

It looks like even though when I check my voicemail I get no messages from them but I am being charged for voicemail received.

There are 35 pages of complaints  at this site alone from this one number.

http://800notes.com/Phone.aspx/1-210-280-8487/34

I'm Here A Lot

Re: Does Rogers sell cell phone numbers to other companies

I made a topic here awhile back about the same problem, unfortuneately my post got deleted by Forum mod/admin

Not sure if it's because they don't want to acknowledge there is a problem, or for some other reason

I've read thru that whole thread you linked too, and this one to

http://www.everycall.us/phone-number/1-210-280-8487/

There's more online also, it is a problem!

Have my phone, on pay-as-you-go plan for about a month, had no solicitation

As soon as I registered for Voicemail however, that's when the spam started

With my phone turned off, because I'm at work, they would phone twice a day, leave an automated voice mail message

Costing me all the time

My route: At Roger's website, I signed into MyRogers and updated Marketing permissions, Don't receive any

Then contacted Rogers representative, I can't remember her name

Explained the problem, gave here the phone number that was contacting me

put me on their DoNotCall list and also reimbursed me for Monies

that was removed from my account because of the solicitation

It doesn't stop there, she informed me it will take 2 weeks to a month for the calls to stop after being put on solicitors

DNC list

So I disabled my voicemail for a month, seems a shame I had to go that route, but it worked anyways

Hope that helps

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Dude this happens all the time, i get spammed like crazy,  just do yourself a favour and call rogers and have your voicemail turned off  

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

another note, the do not call list is garbage, how many people abide buy it? almost no one

I Plan to Stick Around

I did send an email asking if there was a way to turn off voicemail temporarily I never got that answer but otherwise I need the voicemail because I have an ill family member and need to make sure I get messages from the hospital  in case my battery dies etc. or I would cancel it  without hesitation.

Rogers did reply by email that I needed to turn off all marketing permissions etc but very interesting that they did compensate for the annoying voicemail charges from a telemarketer. I mean I don't even get a message at all on my voicemail when this telemarketer calls. 

I also asked Rogers by email if I could extend the rings or pick up time [nothing in the manual that even discusses this issue]  because I have heard that computer generated callers will give up after so many rings but no answer on that.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

calls from a telemarketer eating away your minutes or leaving messages on your phone that eat away your air time are considered the same as a nosy friend or neighbour who keeps calling you and leaves messages.

Lets say you opened a New cell line and never gave out the number, I happen to be someone you do not know, I am trying to call someone but i made a error dialing the number i was off by one digit and happen to reach you. there is nothing stoping me from constantly calling you and leaving messages. I did not get your number, I happened to dial it on my own and i am not doing anything wrong. I do not know you have to pay to receive calls or messages nor should i care abuot that.

All you can do is turn off voice mail in this case, and rogers DOES allow Voicemail to be shut off. now if you are waiting for important messages, well thats the price to pay, unless u want to change phone numbers, thats all i can think of.

I've Been Here Awhile

Rogers does sell your personal information, and not just your cell phone number.

Ever get credit card applications in the mail?

I know at least some of the ones I received originated from my Rogers account. 

I know this because Rogers had a very odd misspelling of my name at one time and I got all kinds of junk mail with that spelling.

I Plan to Stick Around

So after nearly four years since I cancelled my home phone, "Air duct cleaning services" now has my cell phone number.

I cancelled my home phone for two reasons, one was it sat most of the time and I was paying $40 per month minimum for the privelege of having it and then those telemarketers were phoning me nearly every day.

Show me in the fine print where Rogers says they can sell my cell number to these d**kheads who have now phoned me twice in as many days.....

The Governments national do not call list is a bloody joke...

If I didn't need a phone, I'd cancel.....after 21 years I've cancelled cable and haven't died yet but I think a phone is a bit more essential....

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Rogers does NOT sell your number to telwmarketers if they did it would not only be huge headlines all over the broadcast news but there would also be fines and penaltys they would face too. The amount of money they would face in fines would be far greater than any money they would make selling the list and they know this and so does the CRTC.

The duct cleaning get your number from randomly generated auto dialers that randomly generate numbers and all customers are affectes not just rogers.

I've Been Around

They must be selling our numbers. I get more spam and scam calls everyday than any other call! 5 times a day or more.