Do I need a data plan to send MMS?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Do I need a data plan to send MMS?

If I add MMS to my plan, will I also need a data plan?

***edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.
I'm a Senior Advisor

Re: Do I need a data plan to send MMS?

Nope should just use the MMS. Unless you want to use data for other things in which you will need a data plan.. 🙂
I've Been Around

I just set up a Torch 9800 on a plan with unltd text, picture text, video text for my son.  Have been working with Rogers tech to get picture text to work.  Asked them to make sure there were no SMS or MMS blocks, etc.  Was told that picture texting won't work on a Smart Phone (especially a BB on OS later than 4.5) without a data plan. Can anyone help?

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello sclim

To be clear, MMS does technically use data (in the sense that it uses similar protocols to send the image as you would with data). That said, it doesn't eat data, or it shouldn't, on your data plan. Simply put most (all?) networks do not require a data plan to be active to send MMS.

That being said, you will require to have a smartphone data plan on your account in order to send or receive Picture or Video messages.
I've Been Here Awhile

I have an gs3 4.4.2 os, my plan includes unlimited text/pictures/video. My question is why can I only get pictures if I have data turned on, which uses my data plan up, I can not get them hooked to an wifi connection or when not conected to wifi. I hate using my data up on this , since the plan is suppose to have unlimited picture and video.

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @javaswing

As stated above you need a data plan in order to receive the images or videos. While yes u have unlimited picture and video messaging the service still needs a active data bucket. You can contact Rogers to have then explain it more or just look above.
I've Been Here Awhile

I have an data plan, I am just stating its using my data count from my plan to get pictures, I have an small data plan 300mb never been over but I am over this month, I dont use face book or web browsing, only to my rogers site to check while I have no wifi. Yes I turn off data while not in use. I even turn off wifi while not in use. I constantly check running apps and force stop them if they have invertally turn them selfs on. Only allow updates while connected to wifi. mainly use phone for calls or text. so only thing that may use data while getting picture is gps. my phone has data caps ingadge, and my says I have not reach my 300 gig acually it says I am under 100, 78.0 is the count, but rogers saying it 330. so tell me what is wrong then.

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @javaswing

Unfortunately I can't see due that I don't work for Rogers but even they won't be able to see what the data is being hard for. They will only see how much data a day or week is being used.

I would suggest sending a private message to @CommunityHelps and see what they can do. If not then I would say call in and they might be able to help you.