cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discounts expiring

kells79
I Plan to Stick Around

My package expires July 1st.  I decided to call Rogers to see what my options were.  I asked the service rep, I’m looking for in and around the same channels I have for around the same price.  It took me countless phone calls throughout the years and many, many charging issues to deal with at Rogers to get the rate I am at now.  To my surprise the best I was offered is over $40 more than what I pay right now with absolutely no better service to me? 

So, let me get this straight.  I pay for years, every month in credit.  I spent the better part of the first year with rogers on the phone with them to fix up their charging mistakes.  But now years later my contract is up so screw your well-paying, patience customer you now get charged more!  Wow is all I can say.  I would think it would be the opposite and your customers who are long standing and never miss a payment would benefit from that.  It’s no wonder more and more people are leaving the big communication giants for the little guys.  There is no more customer retention or service anymore.   Happy I'm looking into this well before my expiry date so I have enough time to shop around. 

***EDITED LABELS*** 

49 REPLIES 49

Re: Discounts expiring

OLDYELLR
I'm a Senior Advisor

@Lash wrote:

It's just that we've gone from complacent monopoly to a predatory, deliberately-confusing, bait-and-switch marketplace. Published prices are stupidly high, by any measure, because they know a large share of consumers are going to aggressively push for discounts, and with crowd psychology that makes anyone who blithely accepts published rates a rube.

They can dole out discounts (which expire) either loosely or parsimoniously based on what they think the market can bear that day and on what direction they're getting from corporate. Their key metric is ARPU. Based on extensive statistical analysis they can predict how much to give up short-term (promotions) to move you on to a higher average revenue. 

Most certainly. Back in the "good ol' days" when cable first came to my subdivision it was Shaw and cost $8 a month. Then Shaw and Rogers switched territories, why compete.  The mess started with bundles combining cable, Internet, "home phone" and wireless with discounts for each component, so it became virtually impossible to shop around and switch providers.

Rogers PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario

barndoor
I'm a Trusted Contributor

@Lashwrote:

No, no one misses the "good ol [sic] days" you wax poetic about.  ........

It's just that we've gone from complacent monopoly to a predatory, deliberately-confusing, bait-and-switch marketplace. Published prices are stupidly high, by any measure, because they know a large share of consumers are going to aggressively push for discounts, and with crowd psychology that makes anyone who blithely accepts published rates a rube.

I miss them   ...so call me a rube .  Smiley Wink

That was why I took one account  to a different company ....the new company started at the lower price and no games ...less issues and time spent on my part negotiating  . 

I would expect that back then would have been a whole lot better time to be in customer service as well ... the price was the price so that was it .  If you open  the pricing up to negotiation like now there will be more stress and more aggressive customers as they try to get the best deal.  Not to mention ... with all this negotiation going on how do you not need way more staff ? 

There is also the chaos caused to the website  for regular customers .....how many times have we seen  in the last couple months that the system here has been  overwhelmed due to "customer response "  to supposed deals.  

Pauly
Resident Expert

I miss them   ...so call me a rube .  Smiley Wink

That was why I took one account  to a different company ....the new company started at the lower price and no games ...less issues and time spent on my part negotiating  . 

I would expect that back then would have been a whole lot better time to be in customer service as well ... the price was the price so that was it .  If you open  the pricing up to negotiation like now there will be more stress and more aggressive customers as they try to get the best deal.  Not to mention ... with all this negotiation going on how do you not need way more staff ? 

There is also the chaos caused to the website  for regular customers .....how many times have we seen  in the last couple months that the system here has been  overwhelmed due to "customer response "  to supposed deals.   

I agree 100% with you, yes even tho the previous poster disagreed with me that no one misses the good old days, its been proven that that was a lie and people do infact miss the good old days, things were very simple as you pointed out, billing was on point, you are told this price, you pay it and are done, simple as that, not like todays billing plans with oh you pay this price for this many days then the price goes to this price, then there is an increase on this day, etc, but if you call back you get this discount applied which lasts untill this day.

See how confusing thtat can be? what ever happened to pay one price and move on? this is what the competition is doing and a lot of people are opening their eyes to it, but also back then Rogers WAS the only cable provider (or it was Antenna with bad reception in some cases), but now we have lots of competition so people are FREE to move to a different company with attractive pricing

funnybunny
I Plan to Stick Around

I am in the same situation.Been with Rogers for a few years(almost 6) with 3 services.Promo for a bundle will be gone in a couple months.

What is frustrating is that i'm checking the prices and all the bundle offers are for NEW customers...get a tablet with that while i need to beg and cry,calling a few times just to have close to the same price which is 30$ more/month.

Give me the same thing as a valued customer and i'll be happy...Don't make me beg for the same price as the New customer that might ditch you in 3 months?!

I know it's all about the $$ but why make the "valued" not so valued loyal customer beg for the same price...never mind having a 300$ welcome gift?

We are caught because there's not enough competition.Have you gone to the grocery store and because you've been shopping there for 3 years the price goes up 35% while the new one gets it cheaper on top of having a free loaf of bread with it?

If you don't want to insult your old clients have the exact same prices without having to beg for it.

1 price fixed for all.If the client wants to stay for 3 years have a special on it at a fix price and the loyal good customer should always get a better price than a new one not the other way around...Thanks!

barndoor
I'm a Trusted Contributor

@funnybunnywrote:

We are caught because there's not enough competition.

I keep hearing that ....but I think it is very site  and  "needs" specific . Our family started out  with four Rogers  customers  ... there is only one phone of the four left with Rogers  because other  providers had better price points for  their needs . Ironically two of the providers use the Rogers system  ....just not the Rogers pricing  schedule . Smiley Wink