cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discounts expiring

kells79
I plan to stick around

My package expires July 1st.  I decided to call Rogers to see what my options were.  I asked the service rep, I’m looking for in and around the same channels I have for around the same price.  It took me countless phone calls throughout the years and many, many charging issues to deal with at Rogers to get the rate I am at now.  To my surprise the best I was offered is over $40 more than what I pay right now with absolutely no better service to me? 

So, let me get this straight.  I pay for years, every month in credit.  I spent the better part of the first year with rogers on the phone with them to fix up their charging mistakes.  But now years later my contract is up so screw your well-paying, patience customer you now get charged more!  Wow is all I can say.  I would think it would be the opposite and your customers who are long standing and never miss a payment would benefit from that.  It’s no wonder more and more people are leaving the big communication giants for the little guys.  There is no more customer retention or service anymore.   Happy I'm looking into this well before my expiry date so I have enough time to shop around. 

***EDITED LABELS*** 

49 REPLIES 49

Re: Discounts expiring

ChanPatr
I plan to stick around
I contacted Rogers this morning and I was able to remain on digital premier cable TV and Ignite 300u. They essentially just extended my existing discounts for another 12 months.

So it's still possible to remain on digital cable TV but it depends on the representative that takes your call. Some agents will try to get you to switch over to Ignite TV

Internet pricing

Anyone body else ever have an issue with Rogers refusing to honour a pricing system. Since I’ve been a Rogers customer with my internet I’ve been told that as long as I check in before my 12 month period expired that they would continue to honour my pricing for my current package. Now they are telling me they’ve never done that and the best price they can offer me for my same services is an extra $15 a month. So they effectively want $185/year from me extra for the same services they have provided me for the entire time I’ve been a customer with them. Does anyone else find this despicable?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

The internet pricing packages are always changing. Typically though, they have actually gone down for roughly the same service (download and upload speed), or there is a slight increase in price, but a significantly faster service.  This should be the case unless you were on some sort of "introductory" offer which only applies to new customers.

Over the recent years I've gone from download speeds of 10 mbps to 25 to 75 to 300 with only a moderate increase in price.  My 300 mbps service even provides me with speeds just under 500 on Rogers Speedtest with a wired connection.  Upload speeds have gone from 1 to 5 to 10 to 20...

If you're still on Digital Cable (bundle), then the CSRs have less room to negotiate than they did before, because Rogers is trying to get more people onto IgniteTV and a higher price is an incentive for the customer to do so.

habsrule999
I plan to stick around

hi

My discounts are expiring too in a few days. I also called rogers to see about extending my loyalty discounts and was told this was not possible with my current NEXTBOX/home phone and internet 75U hitron modem. I could switch to ignite but to get the same channels i have now and the 2 TV "boxes" i need to rent i will be paying about the same as if i just keep my current setup. My concern about switching ti Ignite is all the problems people seem to have with coverage for WIFI and the 2nd and 3rd TV's working properly. Ignite TV runs over WIFI. Currently i have a NEXTBOX in my bedroom and i have so-so WIFI which is not really a problem because i do not work in that room. If i switch to ignite i will need good WIFI in that room so the 2nd TV will work. Si if i switch to ignite and have to also rent a POD to get good WIFI for the same undiscounted NEXTBOX price i am , or will be paying, then whats the point. Imight as well stay with NEXTBOX where everythiing works perfectly.. If i switch to ignite and have issues there is absolutely no going back to NEXTBOX so i am screwed working with rogers customer support

@habsrule999  I have not had any issues with my Ignite TV service, so I know that it works flawlessly if your in-home network and Internet service both work well.

Re: WiFi coverage, I believe that Rogers provides as many Pods as required to Ignite TV customers for free.  Some folks complain that Pods are slow, but the most vocal seem to be customers with Gigabit and 500u Internet that want the same Wi-Fi performance, which isn't a very realistic expectation.  Pods should be able to provide at least 200 Mb/s of throughput if installed and placed properly... so, if you have a 150u Ignite Internet service, Pods can easily transfer data at those speeds.  You should be able to get reliable WiFi with good coverage in most homes in most residential areas, although WiFi can be very problematic in some apartment/high-density/multi-dwelling unit environments.

As for Digital TV, at some point, Rogers will have to shut the service down and Ignite TV will be the only option.  I would get a quote for Ignite TV + Internet and compare that with what you will be paying for Digital TV and 75u Internet services going forward.

Wooly19
I've been around
I disagree with your suggestion that consumers are complaining rather than expressing their opinions. Consumers have a right to choose where and how they spend their money , as well as, request service, inquire whether they can receive a lower payment or choose a package they feel suits their needs. That was not so much back in those days. Take it or leave it. In Canada, consumers are paying way more for such services. Just look to the tv ads from the US. I would have expected a more professional response to the forum, from a Rogers representative than what this consumer received.

funnybunny
I plan to stick around

I was with Rogers for 8 years,father in law 20 years...we live in a duplex and we got tired. Rogers had our business but as the service was getting worst,internet machine stating up to 500mbps giving 40 download and 11 upload speeds was not enough with a bundle that was going to be 185$....they have a deal just for the internet at 112$ plus tax...lol

Now we have gone to the competition ...for the price of 132$ we get all the Rogers channel plus a few extra but we don't get the community one that was nice to have.

The phone works great, the 500 gives us 200mbps input and output and the television signal is a lot better...no pixeling.

They've lost customers because they wouldn't keep our price at 150$/month for the bundle...now we're with the others for 132$ all inclusive for 3 years. There's no logic to lose customers because you don't want them to have the same bundle as new customers...but hey it all worked out for the better for us.

funnybunny
I plan to stick around

Yep...that was our quoted price also. We went with the competition as they wouldn't price match the new customer bundle price...so they lost us,my father in law and 2 other customers just in our cul de sac. There's no logic in this price scheme.

Now the problem for some is that Rogers is the only service provider....for us it wasn't an issue as the competitors were very happy to have new customers.

Now my internet is 5x as fast with the same 500mbps unit...TV is not pixeling and the home phone is better....icing on the cake is 3 years saving from our old 150$/month price to 132$ all inclusive.

Topic Stats