Discounts expiring

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Discounts expiring

@ChanPatr wrote:

My discounts I received last year are expiring at the end of next month. So I contacted Rogers using Facebook to see what new discounts could be offered. 

I currently have Ignite 300u and Digital Premier Cable TV for $136 (includes taxes)

The agent tells me Digital Cable TV is no longer offered and I would need to upgrade to Ignite TV. So that means all the digital cable TV boxes I own will need to be replaced. Furthermore, they no longer offer Ignite 300u so I’ll need to go up to Ignite 500u

As far as I know, Rogers has not announced that they will be discontinuing Digital TV.  Did they perhaps mean that the system no longer has any discounts that can be applied to new or existing Digital TV subscriptions?  What did they say would happen to your Rogers TV and Internet if you did nothing after your term discount expires?

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

That’s correct ... they would not offer any discounts for digital cable TV service. So if you don’t switch over to Ignite TV, you will end up paying full price to remain on digital cable TV service once your existing discounts expire. This is how Rogers are going to make people switch over to Ignite TV.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

I contacted Rogers this morning and I was able to remain on digital premier cable TV and Ignite 300u. They essentially just extended my existing discounts for another 12 months.

So it's still possible to remain on digital cable TV but it depends on the representative that takes your call. Some agents will try to get you to switch over to Ignite TV
Highlighted
I've Been Around

Internet pricing

Anyone body else ever have an issue with Rogers refusing to honour a pricing system. Since I’ve been a Rogers customer with my internet I’ve been told that as long as I check in before my 12 month period expired that they would continue to honour my pricing for my current package. Now they are telling me they’ve never done that and the best price they can offer me for my same services is an extra $15 a month. So they effectively want $185/year from me extra for the same services they have provided me for the entire time I’ve been a customer with them. Does anyone else find this despicable?

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

The internet pricing packages are always changing. Typically though, they have actually gone down for roughly the same service (download and upload speed), or there is a slight increase in price, but a significantly faster service.  This should be the case unless you were on some sort of "introductory" offer which only applies to new customers.

Over the recent years I've gone from download speeds of 10 mbps to 25 to 75 to 300 with only a moderate increase in price.  My 300 mbps service even provides me with speeds just under 500 on Rogers Speedtest with a wired connection.  Upload speeds have gone from 1 to 5 to 10 to 20...

If you're still on Digital Cable (bundle), then the CSRs have less room to negotiate than they did before, because Rogers is trying to get more people onto IgniteTV and a higher price is an incentive for the customer to do so.

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

hi

My discounts are expiring too in a few days. I also called rogers to see about extending my loyalty discounts and was told this was not possible with my current NEXTBOX/home phone and internet 75U hitron modem. I could switch to ignite but to get the same channels i have now and the 2 TV "boxes" i need to rent i will be paying about the same as if i just keep my current setup. My concern about switching ti Ignite is all the problems people seem to have with coverage for WIFI and the 2nd and 3rd TV's working properly. Ignite TV runs over WIFI. Currently i have a NEXTBOX in my bedroom and i have so-so WIFI which is not really a problem because i do not work in that room. If i switch to ignite i will need good WIFI in that room so the 2nd TV will work. Si if i switch to ignite and have to also rent a POD to get good WIFI for the same undiscounted NEXTBOX price i am , or will be paying, then whats the point. Imight as well stay with NEXTBOX where everythiing works perfectly.. If i switch to ignite and have issues there is absolutely no going back to NEXTBOX so i am screwed working with rogers customer support

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@habsrule999  I have not had any issues with my Ignite TV service, so I know that it works flawlessly if your in-home network and Internet service both work well.

Re: WiFi coverage, I believe that Rogers provides as many Pods as required to Ignite TV customers for free.  Some folks complain that Pods are slow, but the most vocal seem to be customers with Gigabit and 500u Internet that want the same Wi-Fi performance, which isn't a very realistic expectation.  Pods should be able to provide at least 200 Mb/s of throughput if installed and placed properly... so, if you have a 150u Ignite Internet service, Pods can easily transfer data at those speeds.  You should be able to get reliable WiFi with good coverage in most homes in most residential areas, although WiFi can be very problematic in some apartment/high-density/multi-dwelling unit environments.

As for Digital TV, at some point, Rogers will have to shut the service down and Ignite TV will be the only option.  I would get a quote for Ignite TV + Internet and compare that with what you will be paying for Digital TV and 75u Internet services going forward.