Disabling Roam Like Home

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Disabling Roam Like Home

@SMT101 wrote:

Just for clarity purposes for the other readers, what Resident Expert is trying to describe is the Rogers Wi-Fi Calling feature...

Perhaps I was not clear enough because I was not talking about calling at all in the first part of my previous post. I was talking about texting.  I'm on PAYGo and it's not possible to enable WiFi calling on PAYGo at all.

The point I was attempting to make in my previous post was that there are several ways to minimize the cost of texting when travelling.

I also wanted to clarify a foreign SIM comment in the last paragraph of my previous post.

I'm Here A Lot

Thank you for the clarification Resident Expert.

Just for the record, Rogers Wi-Fi Calling enables a user to send and receive both voice calls and SMS texts to/from Canada, free of charge, while roaming.

Below is a summary for all readers as how Rogers Wi-Fi calling would be a suitable alternative to RLH.

1.    RLH - Roam Like Home: If enrolled, it allows a users to make and receive phone calls, SMS texts and use data for $7/day in US or $12/day anywhere else (conditions apply). Enrollment can be done from the MyRogers website. Un-enrolling requires a phone call or online chat with a Rogers rep.

2.    Rogers Wi-Fi calling - allows a user to make and receive phone calls and SMS texts for free while roaming via a Wi-Fi connection (with some conditions: ie. not available for PayAsYouGo plans, only some smartphones are capable of Wi-Fi calling etc.). The Wi-Fi calling can be enabled/disabled easily from your phone's Settings menu (toggle button). Full details can be found here:

https://www.rogers.com/customer/support/article/wi-fi-calling-everything-you-need-to-know

So for someone traveling outside of Canada, if you have access to Wi-Fi networks, by enabling Rogers Wi-Fi calling, you can use your phone to make and receive calls and SMS texts to/from Canada without incurring any costs. For the times when Wi-Fi is not available, you would send and receive the occasional call/SMS text at the regular roaming rate. Overall, this option should prove more cost effective than the RLH or regular roaming rates.

I Plan to Stick Around

SMT101, by any chance, is there a way to know if the message will be sent via wifi or via the network. The thing is, I found out the hard way that if the wifi connection is bad, it will send it via the current network and will incur charges. The way i've been able to work around this is enable the wifi calling, connect to the wifi, put in airplane mode, re-enable the wifi and send the message, that way, it will never go through the network but is there a way to know the parameters or to force it to use wifi otherwise, don't send the message to avoid incurring charges.

I'm Here A Lot

CoOISIY, indeed, if the WiFi connection drops, the phone will default to the cellular network and romaing charges will apply. Just like you, in the places where WiFi is unreliable, I use the same workaround as you described, by activating Airplane mode before activating WiFi Calling.
This being said, I do so seldom as I usually keep an eye on the small icon that appears in the top menu of my phone. The icon is a small telephone handset with WiFi waves. As long as the icon is on, I know WiFi Calling is enabled. You're probably aware of it as you have been using this feature but I'll add a link below for anyone new to this feature:
https://forums.androidcentral.com/attachments/samsung-galaxy-s6/202597d1445530947t-what-strange-phon...
I've Been Here Awhile

I can't believe this has been an issue since 2016!

I'm also here to find out how to get out of this trap. Just like many others, I got nailed by this Fancy Roam like home feature. Wish I have read and learned from the others' experience sooner.

We just came back from a 6 weeks (3 billing cycles) vacation in Hong Kong and Australia. We were charged $12/day x18 days. Data usage was between 16kb - 32kb per day. Yes, kb. We called Rogers to discuss about the charge. After one hour of hold time and 30 minutes of crying and complaining, we were given a 50% off discount. Sweet deal, right? Just to make the matter worse, my parents, who are also Rogers customers that have enrolled in Roam like home, were also traveling out of Canada during the same time...

Both Data and roaming were turned off on our phone but we haven't switched it to Flight mode. Why didn't we switch to Flight mode? Because we never had to do so the last 6 or 7 times we travelled out of Canada. Never had any roaming charges like this. Since when do we have to switch to Flight mode when we are out of country? Isn't Flight mode meant to be used when you are flying in a "Flight"?

The contract for our 5 phones will be over in 6 months and we will be switching for sure. Way to treat your loyal customers of 10+ years, Rogers.
I Plan to Stick Around

Long story short: Call and have them disable rlh in your account, problem solved *but*

I had data triggering while data roaming off which was not making sense, escalated it to highest level where I and an engineer have been able to reproduce the problem, they were even forcing data to my phone and the phone was showing roaming was disabled so we went further because without rlh its 7.99$ triggered at 1k for 100mb used. Is this an S7 or S8 or another brand? Issue was reproduced with S7 and S8 and to help troubleshooting, they sent me a G7 a V20 and a Google Pixel 2 Xl and all three were ok just with roaming off, problem was there just with the S7 and S8. Also turning mobile data off on the S7 and S8 didn't triggered the charges (so phone was not in airplane mode) and no data was triggered.

Hope it helps.

Hope it helps you or other users.
I've Been Here Awhile

Yes, we have S8's.

Thanks for taking your time to figure this out. Rogers should offer you a position for such an excellent job. Instead of blaming the users for accidentally turning on the data, you and that engineer did what they were supposed to and troubleshoot the problem.

We really appreciate your great effort. Thank you.
I've Been Here Awhile

Just called rogers and CSR said RLH cannot be disabled? Is this true?  We live by the border and frequently pick up US signals and certainly don't get charged... Wish I had known this when signing up last Oct...

I Plan to Stick Around

They can definitely still do it. Had it disabled on an extra line last week.

I'm a Senior Advisor

I have had about 50% of CSR's when I have the discussion about Roam Like Home not understand that they do have the ability to "disable" Roam like home on your account.

Technically, they can't disable it - it is a feature set available on the majority of phones and plans sold by Rogers.

The magic phrase is to direct them to "unenroll" your phone number from Roam Like Home.

It is a feature on their tool kit on their screens - they can enroll you in it, or unenroll you from it.

Give that a try.  I have definitely Unenrolled from it, first time after about 5 contacts and many questions as to why I would ever want to do that - Finally, I learned that you are asking to unenrol,  they give you the ability to enroll in it from my Rogers and it is automatically enrolled when you get a plan that supports it and never asked if you want it or not, but only by phoning in and asking them to unenroll your phone number from Roam Like Home do they seem to understand.

If the person on your call says they can't do it, explain it once and then call back to someone else, or report a concern.  Don't know whether they are just not trained on this feature because the attitude of every Rogers rep I have spoken to and on the forum here, is initially, why would we ever want to do it, it is so great.

The choice is ours and yes they can do it.

Bruce

Topic Stats