Disabling Roam Like Home

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Disabling Roam Like Home

As of last month, I had some service change and to re-remove roam like home I had to go into chat mode to have it disabled by a Rogers representative since its not possible in MyRogers
I've Been Here Awhile

Wow.... pretty cumbersome to "unenroll" from something from Rogers, but VERY easy to enroll.  I have found this same thing over the many years. 

This is not that "interesting" a question as it makes perfect sense for people who travel in couples or families and who keep all but one phone turned off, or on airplane mode for most of the trip, but briefly need turn it on to send or receive a quick text message and don't want to incur the daily amount RLH costs, as it can really add up.

How about this Rogers:  You can text RLH ON to to travel to turn it on, and then RLH OFF to travel to turn it off.  It would be the users responsibility to remember to turn it back on again if wanted - OR, preferably maybe Rogers could send a text message to remind someone that they are not enrolled when the enter a roaming area.  Just a suggestion to help your customers spend less money when travelling.....Hmmmmm.

I Plan to Stick Around

Keep dreaming Louise... Smiley Wink

On a side note, for living I travel a lot (like every day or so outside Canada). I don't want if I send one sms to advise I'll be late to be billed rlh everytime so it's disabled but then, turning it back on didn't worked the 2 times I tried to do it because I was staying in the US for a few days and wanted RLH. So nothing is easy there, not made for the heavy traveller.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Are these texts so urgent that you can't wait until you're connected to WiFi?  I suppose it would be nice to have a quick way to turn RLH on/off depending on the situation, but if you subscribe and you access the cell network it's quite difficult for the provider to know your intention in advance. When you connect to cell, you pay, either RLH, or the outside Canada rate.  Your choice, but it needs to be made beforehand because the network can't read your mind in advance.

When I recently travelled to Spain, I had several options - a package from Rogers, a purchased SIM in Spain, or pay the roaming charges.  Since I didn't need to send many texts, I simply paid the roaming rate for a few texts, but I had to make that decision in advance.  There's no way to "time travel" and change a decision that you needed to make before you left home.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

To add to my previous post, my guess is that Rogers doesn't make it easy to turn RLH on/off because they don't wish you to "cherry pick" every day you travel, turning the feature on/off all the time.  You appear to need to make your decision before you leave home and stick with it, unless you wish to go through the hassle of chat each time you wish to turn it off.

For people who travel frequently, my guess is it would be less costly to get a local SIM/phone since those are quite inexpensive, compared with several days of RLH charges.  Using my recent Spanish trip as an example, I could get a local SIM with "plenty of" voice, texts and data for less than 10 Euros.  I opted to pay roaming charges instead because I only sent/received a few texts and was charged a total of $3.

I Plan to Stick Around

When i read a comment like yours, it's just "adding messages to a thread with no purpose."

It's not reading minds, it's being able to turn it on or off by yourself. In your world of travelling, it's 7 days each time. In another world, let's say you are a pilot, just imagine travelling outside the country 150 days/year. You want to pay on long trips by days other trip by usage so you are in Jamaica for a round trip in the same day, you plan to have a delay or got an sms you want to answer, do you wanna pay 0.75c or pay 10$. You want to pay 0.75c. If you go in Florida 2 days, do you want to pay per usage or 7$, you want to pay 7$.

So the answer to the question is the one I gave and I don't get it when you explain that Rogers can't read minds so: no you can't turn it on or off other than chatting/talking with Rogers, end of story

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

At least you have the option to turn it off/on via chat/phone.  For example, some PAYGo Talk/Text plans charge $X/month whether you send a single text or go "to the max or beyond".  It's like insurance.  You pay whether you use it or not?

I see/understand that people would like to be able to "cherry-pick", but that's not the way the plans are designed.  If everyone easily cherry-picked, then the RLH plans would probably be more expensive to compensate for the "lost revenue"?

I'm Here A Lot

@ Resident Expert
You said: "Are these texts so urgent that you can't wait until you're connected to WiFi?"
Since when do text messages travel over WiFi/Internet?
You also suggested to purchase a local SIM card (Spanish in your example) when travelling.
How would a local SIM card help me or anyone else get texts and phone calls to my Canadian SIM card?
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@SMT101 wrote:
@ Resident Expert
1. Since when do text messages travel over WiFi/Internet?
2. How would a local SIM card help me or anyone else get texts and phone calls to my Canadian SIM card?

1a. I have an iPhone 5S and I mostly use it for texting when connected to WiFi.  My texts to/from other iPhones are, of course, free via iMessage on WiFi, see link below.  iMessages via Cell are charged my usually PAYGo rate.  It's rare that I have an emergency text, but it does happen occasionally.  I've also sometimes iMessaged from Starbucks or McDonalds or many other locations with free WiFi.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5113727

1b. When I send/receive an SMS, I see my usual text charges whether I'm on Wifi or Cell.  (I have not used it much for SMS, so it is possible that I'm actually sending/receiving via Cell - it makes no difference to me since I see the same charge per text on my PAYGo plan).

My phone is usually off (standby) and I usually only turn it on when connected to WiFi, thereby minimizing my texting costs since most of my contacts have iPhones.

1c. Many people in the world use What's App (Free texts over WiFi).  I would too if I had to send/receive a lot of texts, however, I probably send/receive once per week and most of those are iMessages (Free via WiFi). 

1d. Many people in Canada and the US are probably on unlimited texting plans and only need to investigate options like What's App, which is used extensively outside Canada and the US, when they start travelling internationally, or text extensively outside their home country.

2. Obviously you wouldn't be receiving via your Canadian SIM, you would be using the foreign one.  An earlier post talked about needing to send an "emergency text" due to running late.  This would certainly be possible using a foreign SIM within the applicable area.  You could also make calls and receive texts in the applicable area, which depends on the SIM purchased.  For example, in Europe I believe you can send/receive texts and make/receive calls almost anywhere in Europe with the same SIM.  Same would hold for the US where many people use local SIMs (or phones) and advise their contacts who need to know...

I'm Here A Lot

Just for clarity purposes for the other readers, what Resident Expert is trying to describe is the Rogers Wi-Fi Calling feature (it applies to number of smartphones such as Apple, Samsung and LG). You would need to enable it on your device to take advantage of it. Below are the official Rogers FAQs:

https://www.rogers.com/customer/support/article/wi-fi-calling-everything-you-need-to-know

Since the original thread focused on the RLH, I'm inserting below a description of how Wi-Fi Calling and RLH work together (taken from the link above):

How is Wi-Fi Calling billed when I am travelling outside of Canada?

If you are using Wi-Fi Calling while outside of Canada, the following will be deducted from your airtime and messaging limits included in your wireless plan without incurring any long distance or roaming charges:

• Incoming calls and messages received from anywhere in the world
  • Outgoing calls and messages made or sent by you to a Canadian number

Roaming and/or long distance charges will vary depending on the roaming option you have on your account:

• If you have Roam Like HomeTM, outgoing Wi-Fi calls or messages made to a non-Canadian number will incur the Roam Like Home daily charge. If you have already incurred this charge, then all outgoing Wi-Fi calls and messages made or sent within that 24-hour period will be covered under the initial Roam Like Home charge.
  • If you have a Travel Pack or other roaming add-on, all outgoing Wi-Fi calls or messages to a non-Canadian number will be deducted from the limit included in your Travel Pack or roaming add-on. If you exceed your limit, overage rates outlined in your Travel Pack or roaming add-on will apply.

If you do not have Roam Like Home or a Travel Pack or roaming add-on, your outgoing Wi-Fi calls and messages to a non-Canadian number will be billed according to roaming Pay-Per-Use rates.

Coming on PPV!
Real Madrid vs. Atlético (Athletic) Bilbao Live
LIVE: Saturday April 21, 2019 10AM ET
Countdown: 8:00 PM ET
Channels: 348 (HD) | 350 (SD) | Ignite TV 499 | 391 (beIN English) 392 (beIN Spanish)
Price: $5.99 (HD) | $5.99 (SD) | Ignite TV $5.99 | (beIN subscription $14.99/mo.)
Ignite TV & DTV customers can order now!

Real Madrid faces Athletic Bilbao in a regular la liga league soccer match. Subscribe to beIN Sports for $14.99/mo. to get the game and more La Liga and international Sporting events.

Crawford vs. Khan Live
LIVE: Saturday April 20, 2019 9PM ET
Countdown: 8:00 PM ET
Channels: 348 (HD) | 350 (SD) | Ignite TV 499
Price: $79.99 (HD) | $74.99 (SD) | Ignite TV $79.99
Ignite TV & DTV customers can order now!

Undefeated virtuoso Terence "Bud" Crawford (34-0, 25 KOs) will defend his welterweight world title against British boxing royalty Amir "King" Khan (33-4, 20 KOs) in a collision of superstars.

Topic Stats