Disabling Roam Like Home

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Disabling Roam Like Home

Hello!

What is the easiest way to (temporarily) disable Roam Like Home?  The reason being I will travel through Europe to Asia, where I will get a local SIM.  While in Europe, I may send one or two texts, but not $10 worth, so I would rather have the pay-per-use rate.

The only way to do this is by calling customer service?

Thanks!

***Edited Labels ****

Solved! Go to Solution.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Disabling Roam Like Home

You wont have to do anything.

Roam like home, is attached to your account.. and therfore your SIM card.

If you are swaping out the sim for another, then it will not have any access to your rogers account.. and therefore no Roam Like Home.

(also... make sure that you have an UNLOCKED phone before doing this.. an on contract phone by default, will be carrier LOCKED and another SIM will not work in it.)

I Plan to Stick Around

Sorry, to clarify, I will change SIMs when I get to my destination (Asia), and not while in transit (Europe).  I may use the phone for emergencies in Europe, with my Rogers SIM, which is why I am asking the question.

Thanks again!

Retired Moderator RogersGabrielle
Retired Moderator

Good Afternoon @nsarine1,

Unfortunately there is no way to disable the Roam Like Home feature temporarily. You would actually have to dis-enroll from Roam Like Home, at which point you would be charged the pay per use rate for the zone that you are in. Pay per use pricing for Europe is:

- $2.00/minute airtime

-75¢ per Sent Text/Picture Message

- 20¢ per Received Text/Picture Message without a roaming or domestic text plan or add-on, (picture messages [MMS] have additional pay-per-use roaming data charges to send/receive)

- $9.99/day for up to 20MB.

I would suggest staying enrolled in the Roam Like Home feature since pay per use charges can add up quickly and become quite expensive, compared to the $10 per day charge you would pay for access to all your Share Everything Plan features.

@RogersGabrielle

I Plan to Stick Around

For completeness-sake, the only way to dis-enroll from Roam Like Home is through customer service (phone or chat).

Thanks all.

Rogers Employee EhmTeeEhf
Rogers Employee

You could put the phone into airplane mode and then connect to wifi, using Rogers One number from that country you can make calls back to canada, however if you make local calls from there you would need Roam like Home or face roaming charges.

Just a thought 

Smiley Happy

Rogers Employee

You can also text using roam like home, but i do not know if you would incur charges for roaming texts, maybe a mod can clarify
Rogers Employee

Sorry I meant texting with Rogers One Number not Roam like home sorry about that.
I've Been Around

how do I stop my roam like home? is there a way I can take it off my account or get rid of it?

Good evening @stoneshack,

Thank you for your post! Smiley Wink

Normally, people inquire about enrolling to Roam Like Home.

May I ask you why you wish to entirely disable this option?

In order for you to understand this service better and, for you to comprehend how beneficial it actually is, I will give you an example :

• If you travel to Europe, for instance, and do not wish to be charged the daily $10/day rate, you would be charged $2/minute for phone calls and $0.75/outgoing text message.
  • This would be equivalent to a minute and a half phone call and eight outgoing text messages.
  • The $10 daily fee would be equivalent to unlimited airtime, unlimited text messages and data usage from the quantity allowed in your plan.

Hope this helps!

RogersMaude

Topic Stats
  • 33 replies
  • 10 Likes
  • 14 in conversation