Disable Text to Landline Service

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

How do I disable this stupid service that charges me 15 cents every time I make a mistake and text the wrong number?

I have unlimited texting.  I called 611 and asked the nice lady if they could just stop charging me for this and instead just not deliver the message, bounce it back or something anything but charge me more money.

She tells me... and I quote:

"Sorry sir, we don't have a way to differentiate between mobile or landline until it's sent off."

I replied with:

"Well, it would appear you can differentiate between the two when it comes to billing me.  So stop billing me for it."

There was nothing she could do.

I tried replying to the text telling me i've been billed with "STOP" just incase that might work, but no.  Instead it tells me to go to http://www.rogers.com/txt2landline which doesn't exist.

Rogers - Please fix this ASAP.  I know it's a user issue.  It's only an issue for me because my contacts got all muddled up when i got a new phone.  But seriously when someone tells you they don't want to be billed for something and don't want that service you need to be able to disable that service.  Infact maybe this is something I should take up with the FCC since I'm telling you to stop billing me for it but you do it anyway and have no way to prevent the billing.

****Edited Labels****

Solved! Go to Solution.
I've Been Around

Is there any way to get rid of this horrbile service?  Sometimes you text a landline by accident (you are sometimes uncertain what kind of phone # people have given you.) and you wish to be discreet, let's say you text late at night a message for them to look at later. This service then will place an actually phone call to the recipient, potentially wake them up and then have a robot speak you text to them. 

To add to the problem you just get charged 15c to be this rude!

This is apparently set up for all rogers customers as a feature, and they are not able to remove this.  The rep I talked to said to call up every bill period and ask for it to be removed.  This will cost rogers much more by fielding these kind of calls, but maybe they will realize what a pain this service is. 

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Bell has the same feature on their mobile phones as well. So does Telus & Fido. Its carriers that choice to do this because if you want to text a home phone & leave that as the voice mail you can instead of calling & leaving one that way..

I know how you feel because i make those mistakes as well. I just tend to ignore the 15c that gets charged on my account. Its our own fault for that anyways.

YES i suggest Rogers has a option to turn it off. I really hope all carriers do this as well.

I've Been Here Awhile

I've asked to be able to turn it off too, I hate it.

I've Been Around

i'm having the same issue, i emailed them and called customer service. and i dont own the phone, my father bought it for me, but it's under my dad's girlfriend's name. not to mention my dad doesnt live where i live. there is no way of verifying i am the owner of this phone, thus making me unable to actually proceed in the disabling of the service. this is ridiculous, i am outraged at rogers. my friend said "hey, text this number 905 555 8978" so i did, and then i recieved a message, the message said nothing about payment, it merely said type E for english an F for french. so unknowingly i typed E. all of a sudden i recieve another text, telling me i will recieve a .15 cent charge. I am disgusted by the means that this multi-millionaire company will go to recieve money. it is repulsive. goodbye.

I'm a Trusted Advisor

I agree. They need to have it taken off or give you a options to turn it off..

@ Dudewiththenose. Why do you not ask your Dad or his gilfriend to change the name to yours? That would be easy & it only takes 10 minutes to do it over the phone. All they need to do is run a credit check on you & if you are all good then it gets switched to you & then you can do whatever you want with the line..

Emailing & calling Rogers will not do anything. They will just say the same exact thing.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

hey guys.

i had the same problem with my fido and rogers lines, but fido and rogers do not have the ability toturn off the feature. however on a good note, i did some research and found a link on hofo months ago about a company who offers this service, i e-mailed them, gave them my numbers and they removed the text to landline from both my lines.   they are the ones who offer the service, they however patch into the fido and rogers network but rogers and fido just bill you for the service, yeah i know its kinda stupid fido and rogers should have a way of turning this off, but nothings impossible, with a little bit of research you can find the answer to most problems and i have tested it and it was successful, i do not get charged for txt to landline no more,  i dont have the link on me but i will look for it and if i find it i will post it, but try calling rogers and asking them for the company. i remember specifically giving them the company name incase anyone asks to disable it, hopefully they recorded it.

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Pauly thank you for your reply. If you told one rep about it & they noted it on your account then they will just know about it for you. I have spoken to many reps & managers within the past months & none of them told me about a company that does that. Whatever you tell them just stays on your account or with that person. Its million to 1 chance we will get the same rep & even if we do they might not remember it.

I will search for it as well. Thank you.

I've Been Around

This is indeed an obnoxious feature which is being forced on subscribers.  As a Realtor I save all sorts of phone numbers - some of which I have no idea of the type of phone the client called me on.  It is not simply the cost (.15 cents is not a great deal of money but think of the accumated income to these phone companies - each time one of the subscribers sends one of these text mistakes or hits a button  incorrectly.  Tonight I apparently sent a message to a colleague - the message as "W".  I simply pressed it by mistake.  No warning that a msg was going to a landline- simply the msg AFTER the fact with the charge.

There has to be a way for Rogers to give this as an option - I believe it is just a sneeky way to increase their revenues based on people's mistakes.

I will be calling them every week from now on to ask them to remove it.  Perhaps they will find it enough of a pain to do something about it. 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

The Text 2 Landline is a service provided by a third party company called TeleMessage.

I contacted them recently about the service and they were able to resolve my complaint. Here is what they said:

Hi, Pauly –

As you requested we have blocked all text-to-landline messages from your Rogers mobile phone which effectively “opts you out”.

Best regards,

TeleMessage Customer Service

"Get the message!"

=======================

TeleMessage

http://www.TeleMessage.com/