Digital Service Fee

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Here Awhile

Digital Service Fee

Can someone tell me what the "Digital Services Fee" ($2.99) listed under Cable TV Services on my monthly bill is for? Thanks.
Solved! Go to Solution.
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Re: Digital Service Fee

Hello klme

If i am not mistaken, the Digital Service Fee is most likely is supposed to be fees related to maintenance and upgrades to their back-end for the SARA software that resides on the digital boxes and new IPG. I could be wrong but i do remember this is how its supposed to be. Long time ago it used to be PVR Fee but got changed to Digital Service Fee instead.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

And I think it's only on older grandfathers plans?

I don't recall seeing it on my current bill, likely rolled into the monthly fee.

I'm an Enthusiast

We switched to digital when most of the analog channels we liked disappeared. Then we started seeing this penalty fee for switching. Just like Bell charging for touch-tone service when everyone has touch-tone service.
I Plan to Stick Around

But wait, there's more, if you order right now... Next will be a technology fee, signal strength fee and partridge in a pear tree.. Happy Holidays 🙂
I'm a Trusted Contributor

I agree with Cap07. Despite the fact that analog is being phased out, the digital services fee is still being charged - just another way to nickle and dime us to death - much like Bell still charging for touch tone service, despite the fact that there is virtually no longer any other option. @gdkitty - You might be mistaking the "system access fee" that used to be charged on Rogers Wireless and is still charged on grandfathered plans despite the fact that this charge also no longer makes sense! However, the "digital services fee" is still alive and well on Rogers Cable! You might want to check your bill. We recently change our cable plan and it is still being charged!
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I just did check my bill.  And its not there.

This is something that likely goes along with grandfathered cable packages.

The older analog only packages, do not have this fee already included.. so it is charged extra.

Comparatively to a newer 'digital' plan from the begining, already have the fee included.

If you changed to a current package, i am pretty positive it would disapear.

I'm a Trusted Contributor

OK - not sure why you get no digital services fee while we do. What I can say is this. We do not have a grandfathered cable plan. We have had a digital box for years now (we now have 3 - one digital box (4642) and 2 PVR boxes (NB3 and an owned 8300 PVR) For years we subscribed to VIP Ultimate with TMN, but thankfully, with a Netflix subscription, we decided to downgrade to Digital VIP. (This is way cheaper!) These are not grandfathered plans - this are listed on the current Rogers Website! Our most recent bill still shows a $2.99 Digital Services Fee under Cable TV Services. If you are not paying this and we are, it must be yet another Rogers Rip-off!
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Because it says digital VIP, doesnt mean its the SAME as a newer plan.. might be same or similar name.. might be a different code behind it.

Have you called in and asked about it?

I know on my moms, we had to change stuff recently as she finally went to a HD box.
Ended up there were about 3 things that overlaped now.. paying for an extra package which had channels which were now covered under her regular VIP

It may not be needed anymore.

I can tell you, i havent paid for it, for well over 5 years, long before i started on these forums, etc.

I Plan to Stick Around

@Gdkitty wrote:

I just did check my bill.  And its not there.

This is something that likely goes along with grandfathered cable packages.

The older analog only packages, do not have this fee already included.. so it is charged extra.

Comparatively to a newer 'digital' plan from the begining, already have the fee included.

If you changed to a current package, i am pretty positive it would disapear.

So either way, you're paying the fee. On one hand it isn't visible, but included in the package price, and on other hand it isn't included in the package price, but separate on your bill. We can argue till the cows come home about where the fee is, but it still comes down to the fact we're paying it anyway. January is coming up fast.