Device Upgrade

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Device Upgrade

I went online to do an early upgrade and the phone I selected Samsung 7 was for $0. When I went in to do it a couple days later they said it changed and I had to pay $100 now. Why did it change within a few days?

***Edited Labels***

Highlighted

Re: Device Upgrade

Hello @swideman,

Our promotions do change often. It's possible this one has expired.

If you like, we could take a look at your account to check. If you're interested, please PM us @CommunityHelps.

Thanks!

RogersCorey

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

I am interested however if it's expired then I will wait until something else comes up. Thank you for your reply

Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @swideman

In my opinion trying to talk to them could have given you that promotion anyways.

Hopefully it comes back!

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Can someone please explain how an upgrade to a Samsung Galaxy S7, which is advertised at 50$ on the web site, can go to over 125$ once I put my Galaxty s4 in as the trade In?

it seems like Rogers is trying the old bait and switch.

The upgrade would require me to change plans, I guess now that mine is up, and pay 50$ a month more under the new plan.

for my wife and I to upgrade that means 1300$ over the two years of the new contract to upgrade.

hardly a 50$ for and upgrade.

seems they are only driving subscribers away.

I also don't know if there are additional charges for say new SIM cards, activation etc.?

Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @Scottie55

When you did the upgrade, did you do it in store or over the phone?. If in store, do you have the physical contract that you signed infront of you?

Unfortunately all carriers are requiring customers to change to new plans in order to do hardware upgrade if you have older plan. The omly plans that do not are the retention plans or if u already have a new plan.

You only pay a $15 connection fee. The sim card is given to you for free.

Everything can be explained to you by calling Rogers and or speaking to them via Live Chat.
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Agreed.

I decided to buy my new phone outright, somewhere else, at full price. Rogers wanted me to upgrade to a share everything + plan on all the lines in my account. Just to pay less upfront for the phone. That is 15$ per line. We are 4.  That's 60$/month and 720$/year.  All that for nothing more, not even data. 

Sorry Rogers, but it's getting ridiculous. 

Better off off buying a phone outright, and paying less each month. In the end the phone is unlocked and worth a little more if you decide to sell it. 

My 2 cents

Regards. 

Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @jefflessard

Again most carriers are doings this. Unfortunately there isn't much you can do as you said. You have the option to buy it outright but most don't have $1,000+ to dish out on a device outright. They pick this method instead.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

If you can't dish out 1000+ upfront. How will you dish out more each months?

just sayin. 

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

For myself, I am one of those unusual people who was raised by parents of the depression years.

I know I have to replace my phone sooner or later, as with my roof, my car, my clothes, and many other things.

So I put money away to pay for these future expenses - call it my own self managed replacement plan or insurance for loss or failure out of warrenty.  I also keep my old phones around that still work to fall back on.

Since the new models came in, I have never moved from my old plans and continue to buy phones outright.  The poster is correct that for those of us on older plans, we end up paying more for service costs in the two years than the cost of just buying the phone right out. The difference between the rate of the old plan and the new plans are greater than buying the phone right out.  It is even greater than putting it on your credit card and pay it off at your own pace, say over 6 months.

I buy my new phone on my credit card, collect my points, then pay the credit card purchase on the next bill, no interest and lots of points.

True there are probably people who don't have the cash to put it outright, but we all have options, and for me the share everything plans are complete over kill with services limits that I would never reach.  So for those who can do it, put money away for your next phone, and then you don't have to rely on trying to figure out just what the new plans are and getting pushed into something you may not want.

The key is choice.  It is not a matter of fair or not, it is all about marketing and bundling the package in a way that makes it appear that you are getting a good deal, best value and so forth - Always sit down and do the math and then make your choice.  If short on cash and you absolutely need a phone, then pick up a lower end one is another options, set the money aside and get the better one later - as they say, live now like no one does, so that you can live in the future the way no one does.  What that means, is you can live a life of I have to have it now, or you can wait, and you will save money over your life time and have a real good retirement life.  Apply this concept to everything you do - do you need the new car, or buy the off lease one from last year for half price, you don't immediately eat the drop in price when it comes off the lot - So many ways, and since these services often are very high and representative a huge part of most people's home budget, in my case, my Roger's bill is greater than 1/2 of my mortgage, and I would rather save on my bill and pay down my mortgage.

Just some thoughts that you don't have to buy into the pitch that you can't have the phone without paying far more for your plan. In many cases, you will pay for your phone in savings on your bill in around one year.

Bruce