Deep Linking on Rogers web site implemented, with bugs

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm a Trusted Contributor

Deep Linking on Rogers web site implemented, with bugs

Around September 1 Rogers finally implemented the Deep Linking on their web site.

This is where, when you find you have been signed out for inactivity and sign in again, it didn't used to take you back to the page you were at.  With Deep Linking working if FINALLY did.  Before this it was especially annoying using the Rogers Community Forums where you are logged out after a period of inactivity, and upon signing in again were never taken back to the page you were on, so was much appreciated for that.

HOWEVER - a few days later and, no surprise, there are bugs with the implementation.

Now often when I Sign In again it takes me back to the correct page, BUT it shows I am not signed in because Sign In is there again.  So you click to Sign In, and it redisplays the same page (with Sign In there yet again) so it won't allow you to Like or Post in the Rogers Community Forums as that application thinks you are not signed in.

OR -another sympton of the bug I suppose - it repeatedly loads the same page with no user intervention (great entertainment just sitting there watching the same page load over and over and over again).

The only way I found out of those Sign In bugs was go to the main rogers.com web page, where it DOES show you are Signed In.  Click to Sign Out.  Then Sign In again.  Then go back to the Community Forum page you were on originally. 

So a great enhancement there.  It's now even slower than BEFORE they implemented the "Deep Linking".   Smiley Mad

***Edited Labels***

I'm a Senior Advisor

Re: Deep Linking on Rogers web site implemented, with bugs

Thank you @neilpalmer400 for shedding a light on what I've seen happening the last couple of days. I mentioned it in the Resident Expert Private Discussion area and others had also seen it, but no Mods could explain it.  Each time I logged in, the same Community Forum page came up, showing me not logged in. First I'd go through My Profile (where I could see I was logged into My Rogers) and then Community Forums at the bottom. The next time that didn't work, I managed to sign in after restarting my browser. When I mentioned this in the shomi forum, @ShakTiburon said he would sign out and then sign back in again. Not sure how you can sign out if it shows you not signed in, but perhaps he meant sign out of My Rogers. Maybe I'll try that next time. But the bottom line is, users should not need to keep devising kludges to make this site work.

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
I'm a Trusted Contributor

I suppose it's no different than having to find work arounds for the Navikrap - stuff customers shouldn't have to do because ROGERS is supposed to test this krap before rolling it out.  However they appear to treat their customer base as unpaid Beta testers instead of testing things properly themselves.

Anyway, yes - if you 'Sign In' and the forum page still shows Sign In at top again after it redisplays the page (and won't let you Like or Post because IT thinks you aren't signed in) just go to rogers.com where it WILL show you signed in.  Sign Out, Sign In again, THEN go back to Community Forums.

What a work around for something that was SUPPOSED to make things easier. 

Hmmm - another similarity with Navikrap.  Smiley Wink

Hello, @neilpalmer400

Thank you for your post, I appreciate your observations regarding Deep Linking on Rogers.com. I’ve noticed that behaviour as well and for me it happens randomly irrespective of the browser. I’ll definitely pass on your feedback to the appropriate support group.

Thank you for understanding.

Regards,

RogersMoin

I'm a Senior Contributor

@neilpalmer400@OLDYELLR@RogersMoin

I was puzzled by your problems, as I have been successfully signing back in to the forums for the past few days and I could not see what was different.  However, I was able to reproduce the problem last night and I see what I was doing differently.  It is hard to test because it takes quite a while for the session to time out.

When the time out page displays, if I click on the blue "Sign On Again" in the middle of the screen, then it works properly and deep links to the forums.  However, if I click on the red "Sign In" at the top right, then I get the behaviour you mentioned.  

Which one are you using?

I'm a Senior Advisor

@roxandtreez I've wondered if there was any difference using the top right ot the middle ling fot signing back in. I found no difference in the past, but haven't tried it sice this issue began.

I think you stay signed in when inactive for an hour. I've even found myself still signed in if I'd closed the window, but returned soon after. Once I found I stayed signed in while inactive for a whole lot longer whenI had a My Rogers tab open showing my PayGo activity, but I think that was a fluke. I do believe Rogers is constantly fiddling with the website, so it's quite inconsistent.

I'm a Senior Contributor

@OLDYELLR

You are right about other changes.  The one I noticed at the same time as the deep link change is that now in the splash page when you first sign in and also in the account drop-down, it now displays the description of the service and the account number, where before it just displayed the account number.  This makes it easier to pick the service for which you wish to see details.  This is the way the old web site used to work, and it is finally back in the new format.  I think the old web site allowed you to edit the description and I cannot find a way to do this on the new site.  The descriptions are carried over from the old data.

I'm a Senior Advisor

Each time I sign in, I get a popup to choose between my Cable and PayGo account, which has nothing to do with the Forum and it didn't change the account page, until now.

Even then, when I choose my PayGo account and go to Bills & Payments, it's still shows my cable account and I have to change it from the dropdown. A lot of extra steps required, which don't do anything.

Rogers Employee lockdown2341
Rogers Employee

I've been experiencing this issue off and on for several weeks myself. It does appear to be happening randomly. I was able to get arond by backing out to the first Rogers.com page loaded in the current tab, sign in and then go to the forums.

I'm a Senior Advisor

Thanks @roxandtreez, using the "Your session has expired" sign in link instead of the one at the top right did take me directly to the forum. At least for now. Smiley Wink