cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

'Data-only' sim card was represented as a second phoneline

Timothy1985
I've been here awhile

I have been a loyal Rogers customer for around 6 years now. 

2 years ago, I was sold a tablet, a samsung galaxy Tab E, which was added as a 'second line' to my 'family share-everything plan', for running my small business from a different phone number. 

The device arrived, and was set up as a phone - sim card, phone number... for various reasons I did not use that device.  It was destroyed last year without the SIM card ever being used with it. 

2 months ago, I used the SIM card on another phone device, using the same version of Android as my present phone, i.e. not flashed as a tablet, but as a phone...  

These last two months I have been charged $600.   I called to inquire what was going on, as I assumed this to be a mistake. 

I have been on the phone for 1.5 hours now.  The representative to whom I spoke forwarded me to a supervisor, who tried as hard as he could to convince me that I was in full knowledge that this sim card was something called a 'tablet data only line', and that, while the device it was sent with was capable of receiving and placing calls, that I would be billed at $1 / minute for placing or receiving calls, or sending text messages.   The representative continued to talk in circles about the word 'tablet' meaning 'even though it is a phone, you were not supposed to use it like a phone, but share only data on the 'share everything family plan'.  All calls sent and received would be charged at $1  / minute.  I find that the device I use the SIM card in is irrelevant, as it had the same OS and same functionality as the device which was included with this addition to my phone plan. 

I am currently looking into my phone archives for a recording of the initial sales call, but before today, NOBODY at rogers has ever mentioned this special 'data only plan' on a device which is identical to a telephone.  I purchased this product as a second phone line which could be attached to my 'share everything plan' to presumably share everything. 

The representative was able to waive $100 from this bill, that they were going to charge for this SIM card's usage from October 6 to 10th, but was unable or unwilling to do anything else for me, including resolving this issue of misrepresentation of products and deceitful business practices on behalf of Rogers.  Instead, he continued to try to get me to agree with false and misleading statements as to my use of the phone, blaming the data overages on the functionality of the alternate device I used, and claiming I was in full knowledge that the word 'tablet' means I can't use its core functionality as a phone and will incur extra charges through people's ability to phone the device at any time when the SIM card is used.  This is a terrible loophole of which Rogers must be aware, and about which they should take IMMEDIATE action. 

I have cancelled this 'special', misrepresented SIM card.  Now I am posting here in the hopes that someone at Rogers can contact me and resolve this issue.  Otherwise, not only will I have to cancel ALL my Rogers services, but I will have to make sure to make video documentaries of my grievances and share them with every Rogers customer I know, to make sure that they are not taken advantage of by this fraudulent business practice.  Selling someone a second phone line and a device who's core functionality incurs 'extra' service charges which were not disclosed at the time of sale, or anywhere else during the two years I have been paying for this nonsense, is a terrible business practice. 

Is this the kind of service I should expect from Rogers?

***Added Labels***

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: 'Data-only' sim card was represented as a second phoneline

Good evening @Timothy1985,

Welcome to the Rogers Community!

I appreciate you took the time to share your experience with us. I'm sorry to hear you are not pleased with the outcome of your phone call with our representative.

The "data-only" tablet plan is less expensive than our voice and data plans, even for additional lines. The goal is to share the data bucket that is available for your phone lines. That is why the airtime and text messages are billed per use. Every active SIM card has a 10-digit phone number attached, so I can understand why you thought it was safe to use it for whatever usage was needed.

We would like the opportunity to take a deeper look into this for you so that you can remain a loyal Rogers customer. Please send a private message @CommunityHelps and we will go through the authentication process to review your account. If you're not familiar with the process, you can find instructions here.

Looking forward to your PM!

RogersMaude

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Timothy1985
I've been here awhile

The text which reads

""

2 months ago, I used the SIM card on another phone device, using the same version of Android as my present phone, i.e. not flashed as a tablet, but as a phone...

""

should read

2 montsh ago, I used the SIM card on another phone device, using the same version of Android as the Galaxy Tab E AND my present phone, i.e. not flashed as a tablet, but as a phone...

Good evening @Timothy1985,

Welcome to the Rogers Community!

I appreciate you took the time to share your experience with us. I'm sorry to hear you are not pleased with the outcome of your phone call with our representative.

The "data-only" tablet plan is less expensive than our voice and data plans, even for additional lines. The goal is to share the data bucket that is available for your phone lines. That is why the airtime and text messages are billed per use. Every active SIM card has a 10-digit phone number attached, so I can understand why you thought it was safe to use it for whatever usage was needed.

We would like the opportunity to take a deeper look into this for you so that you can remain a loyal Rogers customer. Please send a private message @CommunityHelps and we will go through the authentication process to review your account. If you're not familiar with the process, you can find instructions here.

Looking forward to your PM!

RogersMaude

Timothy1985
I've been here awhile

I would like to discuss this matter further...  the billing amount in question is quite severe and I feel I have been wronged.  With whom shall I continue correspondence?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

See the post above yours.  Contact one of the community helps people.

Hank001
I've been around

i am wondering if this applies to Whatsapp. if the number is used only on whatsapp would it incur charges too.  

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

why even risk it, whatsapp requires text mesages to authenticate you, some data only plans do not have text messaging abilities because most data tablets do not have the text messaging app installed by default so this is done on purpose so you will have more trouble trying to use whatsapp on a data only line i would not bother cus you can risk it not working or getting charged for text messages when they are not included in your data only plan

Topic Stats
  • 6 replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 5 in conversation