Data Usage!

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Data Usage!

@Bruce To be fair the new phone has been a Godsend this past week. My mother-in-law suffered a fall on Monday and broke her hip and her arm. My wife and sister-in-law have been at her hospital bedside all week and have been able to phone and text family members about her condition.

Other than this data stuff on mobile I have been content with Internet, TV and Home Phone provided through Rogers. It really is the only option here where live in Almonte, as Bell has a satellite and ADSL setup to go with its POTS landline. No Fibe where I am.

Since there are many folks in rural Lanark County who are still on 56K dial-up I should count my blessings I suppose.

I Plan to Stick Around

All righty then - I think I have this data stuff figured out.

1.  For now keep all the mobile data turned off.
  2. Next month cautiously turn on mobile data and watch usage.
  3. Never ever update apps manually. Keep phone set to update automatically when on wifi only.
  4. Keep the limit on mobile data active.
  5. Switch off all background updates.
  6. Text only - don't attach photos.

I suppose it takes a data meltdown like I had to teach me a lesson. Once burned, twice shy.

As long as Rogers has its current mobile data policies which put the user at a disadvantage, you gotta protect yourself.

I'm a Senior Advisor

@foodtech46  Very well put - a great reference summary of how to minimize risk to unexpected charges.

And I agree, I too have had the blessing of having the phone and its capabilities in an emergency, and it is key that we understand how to use these to meet our needs in a cost effective way (unless you happen to have money to burn 🙂  ), which I sure don't.

Great discussion everybody.  I feel that we are all more educated on our services.

Bruce

I'm a Senior Advisor

@BS I'm with you on the data scam. Data overage penalties must generate huge profits for Rogers at virtually no cost. When I had my old Nokia dumb phone and someone texted me a picture, it gave a URL where I could retrieve it and I'd get it at no cost with my computer. I now have a very basic smart phone (it came in a cute kid's lunch box) and now when someone sends me a picture I have to turn my data on to retrieve it. More money for Rogers. Maybe I'm old school, but to me a cell phone is an emergency device that should cost less than my home phone, not many times more.

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
I Plan to Stick Around

I would like to know how US carriers can offer unlimited data plans for the price of Rogers' 500 MB plan. I read somewhere that the average smartphone user will consume about 2GB in a month. That is a recipe for disaster on one of these skimpy data plans.

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

A simple explanation why all cell phone services are much more expensive in Canada compared to the US and third world countries is our sparse population. More cell towers required for fewer people.

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario