cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data Usage on WhatsApp

Anouck
I've been around

Hello,

I just opoened a Rogers account 2 days ago.
I still had my former phone and barely used this line.
Since then, I emitted 3 calls (2 by WhatsApp and one local) and checked my emails.

I purchased the 15G infinity program and, to my surprise, I have apparently used 130$ of credit ?
While the app says I have only used 0,05G of data.

Is WhatsApp not considered as classical data ?
Am I supposed to stay connected to Wifi all the time ? What is the point of having 15G then if it doesn’t appear as used when outside ?

I am so disappointed to be paying such a big amount for 3 calls !

*** Edited Labels/Title *** 

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Data Usage on WhatsApp

RogersCorey

Greetings @Anouck!

Welcome to our Community.

I'm not quite certain what you mean by "classical data". Would you mind elaborating on that a bit?

WhatsApp uses data regularly like any other Internet-based app when you are not connected to WiFi.

Regards,

RogersCorey

if you only are 2 days into your service then you should not assume your $130 of credit was used up because of data. you need to wait a full billing cycle to get a true representation about your usage and bill, the credit can be used for other things like activation fee waived. etc.

in that case what exactly is your concern?

I have the same question... I just got told by Rogers Customer Success that I had a 30 min call to the UAE I was being charged for.  I have never called the UAE as a regular call on my cell phone and have only ever called them through Whatsapp or Teams.  I was told that sometimes when Whatsapp can't find Wifi it switches to my SIM card.  So if it switched to my SIM, why am I getting a call charge and not a data charge??  I also have no record of the call in my call history or Whatsapp call history and I never ever delete call history.

Good Day @Tigger_p23! 👋

A warm welcome to the Community and Congrats on your first post with us! I'm thinking, as the call was made via WhatsApp, it sounds like the app may have been having an issue and didn't work thus defaulting back to our network calling. 

We'd be more than happy to take a further look into this for you if you'd like. Feel free to send a private message to @CommunityHelps so we can assist you further. For more information on how our Private Messaging system works, you can find out more here.  

Regards,

RogersJo 

Topic Stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 5 in conversation